rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding RSV and RSVR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding RSV and RSVR
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 08:57
Hi, I was dreaming long time about this bike... And finally I got one of ebay, with slight damage to the fame and fork :) as you can see on the pictures below.

Wheel spindle was also bent, left radiator and oil tank gone, oil rad damaged.. Lucky the wheel and discs are nice and solid. The idea was and still is to build a streetfighter or as I like to call it a streetracer ;) So I started buying parts, frame, forks etc. and pretty much got almost everything I need.
Meanwhile I found another Aprilia, this time it was RSVR :) Only around 10k on the clock but slightly damaged as well... A bit lose on the head bearing!! Big smile
Bike was hit from the LHS and the clock bracket ripped big chunk of the frame.

I have plenty of experience building Japanese bikes. Below is my Suzuki SV744 with Yamaha XTZ750 pistons :) or a streetfightered TL1000R. But never had any Italian bikes. Any tweaks, moods I should look in to?

TLR, cool bike but terrible in corners...

gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 09:07
No idea how to edit the post... Just wanted to add interesting difference between RSV and TLR. I have bare frames for both bikes, the RSV weights just over 10kg where the TLR way over 15kg, not sure exactly as my kitchen scale :) only shows up to 15kg but I would say its about 17-18kg.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:16
you have got hours of fun there. The rsv is quite a good bike to rebuild at present because lots of good bikes are being broken with no accident damage. The general sale price of the hidden gem RSV is lower than a breaker can get by breaking into parts. 
 You should easily get a broken frame with log book if that's what you want (they seem to range from £150-200 on ebay - lots have been on sale for ages so you might be able to get a deal- the most brilliant thing about Aprilia's is the handling, the frame has to be straight)
 Looks like you are going to have hours of fun rebuilding thoseClap
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:07
There was a frame and logbook on eBay the other day for 75quid !!!

Be good to see a streetfightered mille be interesting to see what seat unit etc you go for 

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 14:07
No worries, already have 2 frames.
I got the seat unit from an 07 R1 or I might do something to the TL that I build.

Will have the same headlight, just bare no cover. Thas from Honda MSX125

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 22:08
welcome along be very interesting to see what you come up with you've obviously got some talent onn the spanners. Never ridden a TL but im hooked on apes definitely curious how the japs done a big thumper had a go 9n a SP2 but was left a little disappointed. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
mwlehman View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwlehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 21:34
holy crap dude, what happened to that thing? dropped from a tall building?
once you have ruined your reputation , you can live quite freely
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 18:39
First glimpse of the fighter.
I do have the genuine R1 under tray but I like the slim look as it is now.

Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 00:11
Yes here's a tip.
HD Starter cables ,Stator windings , Main plug from generator to block connector on R/H side of bike near bottom of barrel. 
Sort them now and save your self hours of pissing about on the bike and an age reading posts and typing.
John boy for your cables,electrix world for the stator ,sort the connector yer sen and cover it with sealer.
Regards Ted.

I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 22:01
From my experience with Japanese bikes the problems with melted plugs, alternator or regulator failure are due to bad connection or dead battery that needs constant charging. But I will definitely have an eye on that, thanks!

Question about the fuel pump, will the gen2 pump work in gen1? Ive noticed that the connector is different but the pump looks very similar. My pump is shot, the bike stood for about 6 years so the old fuel just melted everything, all rubber gaskets and hoses are gone.
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 08:45
Anyone fancy a bobber with a lightweight single fork front end?!! LOL

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 13:46
Broom handle suspension just about to sweep motogp grids next year Smile
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 17:41
The RSVR is riding sweet. Very happy with the bike, love it. It handles much better compared to TLR and I didn't even set the suspension right, some standard settings. The exhaust if fully open DanMoto and I wonder if I should fit the K&N air filter?
Have one issue with it. Today while setting a clock right speedo went funny and it was showing some speed readings but the bike wasn't moving, even the engine not started. I ignored it and got the clock on time and later while on the road the speedo wasn't working, almost nothing. I did about 5 miles and the mileage showed 0.1mile and the speedo was most time on 00. I've seen it jumping for a short time but after that nothing, just 00. Previous run it was working all good. Any ideas?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 18:19
Remember the RSV takes it's speedo inputs from the rear disc bolts, these must be magnetic, lots of people change them to stainless or ali and then spend ages looking for the problem.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 19:06
Got it, the sensor died, replaced it with another one and it it showing like 1-3 by turning a wheel by hand so I think its sorted, showing good voltage now when tested with meter. So strange that it died lie that, the bike is low mileage.
The bolts are genuine. I was thinking to replace them with stainless, will it cause me problems?

gikxer View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gikxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 20:08
While having the tank lifted I went to change the air filter but the K&N was shorter than the one in the box so I guess it is for later model??
The doggy sensor give me a nice vmax Big smile

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 21:40
Yep the later plastic tank bikes had a slightly shorter air filter and more shallow airbox lid.
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 20:18
Originally posted by gikxer gikxer wrote:

Got it, the sensor died, replaced it with another one and it it showing like 1-3 by turning a wheel by hand so I think its sorted, showing good voltage now when tested with meter. So strange that it died lie that, the bike is low mileage.
The bolts are genuine. I was thinking to replace them with stainless, will it cause me problems?

Yes stainless will stop it working. The sensors just seem to sometimes die regardless of mileage also 
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic