FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chocolate Torx bits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mwlehman View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwlehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chocolate Torx bits
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 19:28
on something that I can not move I take a punch or bolt that matches head size of bolt you are trying to loosen, place it on head of the tight bolt and give it a couple good smacks with a hammer..that usually allows me to turn them loose...your mileage may vary
once you have ruined your reputation , you can live quite freely
Careca View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Careca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:30
I guess you can try snap on , They do say if you break /damage the tool they replace it for free.

The only other thing I can think of in one of those induction heater tools , although I have no idea how good your access is. 

Its a bloody mare...!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 12:08
Originally posted by Fugly Fugly wrote:

now have a stock of allen bolts and replace torx fittings at the first opportunity.

Not Aprilia OE spec I hope  LOL
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:49
I hate torx fasteners wit ha passion, disc bolts will have threadlock of some description plus corrosion and the torx bits stand no chance.

Sheared 3 trying to get a disc bolt out of my bmw, now have a stock of allen bolts and replace torx fittings at the first opportunity.

Good luck
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 19:40
Ha, that reminds me, have you ever seen a crowd of guys trying to remove an MVF4 1000 rear hub and watched them burn out two cordless impact drivers?

It was almost a shame to have to tell them it was a L/H thread LOL

No one believed us until the the trackday organiser confirmed it.  I often wonder if they ever got that wheel off.

Last seen they had a 3' breaker bar with a fence post as an extension and the bike jammed against a wall and three guys sitting on the back trying to break the grossly over tightened nut.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 13:37
You do know the rear brake disc bolts on a Yamaha have a anti-clockwise thread don't you!

Only joking Smile.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:44
Good name for tools I grant you,but sometimes you have to admit that no matter what brand you use that outside forces have you beat.  We used super expensive carbide Allen keys and torx bits at work and it was not uncommon to snap those on fastenings that were artificially tight with rust, loctite etc
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

leslie saint View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leslie saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 20:23
Stahlwille bit expensive, but you get what you pay for
MANCUNIAN BY BIRTH CITY BY THE GRACE OF GOD & ALAH DOGS AMONG THE BUSHES LOVE WILL TEAR US APART
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 21:58
I did the same thing trying to get the exhaust plug out from the front pipe on the Mille. Heat had pretty much welded the plug in,it was far tighter than any torx key was going to shift and my 'unbreakable' Sealey key went the same way as the cheapo one.

I had to remove the pipe,clamp it gently in a vise equipped with soft jaws and get a pair of Stillson's on the head of the plug to shift it.

If this sort of brutality is not an option can you start the turn by using a centre punch first?

Probably find someone dosed the fasteners with strong loctite which really needs lots of heat to break it loose
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Timson View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 21:23
Having an absolute mare trying to remove a rear brake disc on my Yamaha (I know it’s not an Aprilia).

It uses T40 torx bolts and I simply can’t shift em!

I shattered my T40 T-handle on my first attempt (it was the hollow ‘security’ version - so I blame myself for poor tool choice there)

I then used an eBay ‘Bergen’ brand T40 1/2” drive bit with my big ratchet and twisted the splines of the bit.

Next I got out my ‘Teng Tools’ impact driver with Teng T40 bit and had at it! Tried tightening as well as loosening’ Tried heating the fastener with a blow torch. Tried striking the centre of the fastener with a flat nosed punch. Nothing is breaking this thing free! Eventually the Teng tools bit began to twist just like the Bergen bit. 

In frustration I got out my big breaker bar and tried the twisted bit again. Sheared the end of the bit right off.

Thought maybe it was stressed due to the twist damage - so tried my last new Teng T40 bit with the breaker bar. That sheared right off too!! Angry

I thought Teng were a decent brand!

Is this not the case? Will I have the same result with whatever brand of tool I try?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic