rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europe ride?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe ride?
    Posted: 21 May 2018 at 20:58
Anyone on here fancy, going for motorbike trip
In europe? Italy perhaps?
I am looking at taking a bike trip, and thought 
It would be nice to meet new people and do what 
We love ride Clap
So anyone have plans or maybe want to make
plans??
Shake'n bake
smw View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 22:21
im always keen to do stuff like that. I've only ever ridden into Europe the once but if do it again if it were planned reasonably well. I'd also relish the chance to get to Italy. 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 22:59
My advice would be to do the Pyrenees or Picos first. it's easier to get to and Spain is much cheaper than the alps or Italy. And the Spanish roads are generally in better condition.

Not toured the main part of italy, just a bit of the italian alps but from what i've been told, once your out of the mountains it ain't all that from a riding experience point of view. Nice scenery around Lake Garda etc but big traffic in summer.

Boz84 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boz84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 07:00
always wanted to do something like that, if the trip was well planned and all costs were estimated before hand I’d count myself in if I could afford too. 
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 07:08
Ice-mille would you be bringing your bike over on the ferry from Iceland to Denmark or hiring a bike in Europe? You're talking 4 days in total ferry time plus the 3/4 days needed to get to Italy and back from Denmark. It would be cool to use your own bike though.
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 08:35
Im off to France. Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Belgium and Luxembourg tomorrow. 

Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 08:37
Id love to do Spain, Spoony but its the thought of an 18hr crossing to Santander that is putting me off.

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 09:11
Originally posted by Sabre Sabre wrote:

Id love to do Spain, Spoony but its the thought of an 18hr crossing to Santander that is putting me off.

were riding down from Cherbourg but trust me the ferry crossing is a nice rest after a trip and the Pnt Avon ferry is really good. Cinema, cabaret etc etc.
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 09:27
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

were riding down from Cherbourg but trust me the ferry crossing is a nice rest after a trip and the Pnt Avon ferry is really good. Cinema, cabaret etc etc.
Hmmm, something to think about for next year.Wink

FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 11:56
The ferry beats the ride down the west coast of France every time and it's probably cheaper.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:52
Well i am not shure yet, my summer vacation is coming late this year. We split it up between the shifts at the firehouse, and i have late aug/sept. 
Been looking at some package tours, 8-12 days. Just looking still.
But it would be nice, to maybe get some guys onboard, and call it RSVR-summer trip? 
Anyway just the thought if anyone has or would like to do oneof these trips, i would just put out a feeler for it.
Meeting new people, doing new things, se some new things. Get some awsome memories. 

Looked at this trip too, maybe we see dracula😂

Inputs?

Shake'n bake
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:53
Originally posted by FTM FTM wrote:

Ice-mille would you be bringing your bike over on the ferry from Iceland to Denmark or hiring a bike in Europe? You're talking 4 days in total ferry time plus the 3/4 days needed to get to Italy and back from Denmark. It would be cool to use your own bike though.

It would be awsome, but as you say long long 
trip, but hey i don’t mind
Shake'n bake
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 12:57
For those thinking of touring a few thoughts.

Costs wise it depends on distance and the level of accoms you want.  Spain has lots of Hostels which are basically budget hotels and are generally really nice and well priced. Their hostel is beeter than most 3 star hotels over here. Ferry with a bike to Santander for me return (I'm a club voyage member so cheaper) is about £240. Fast Ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg is about £55 each way. Spending including fuel for about 9/10 days based on the Pyrenees and maybe Northern Portugal or Picos on way back is £600 ish.

Spanish mountain roads often have tightening bends or double apexes so you have to concentrate and not charge in or you will get into trouble fast. Handily they usually give a speed warning sign to give you a hint. If it says 30, that is probably a hairpin. Road quality in general is excellent and quiet in Mountains.

My experience of the alps, is lovely scenery, less fuel stops and cafe's, much more varied quality of road surface, more camper vans and cyclists than you can shake a stick at and more expensive. My Duke took 22 tanks of fuel to get to the alps, go round it a bit (France and Italy) and get back. We always avoid Mways as much as poss which does push up travel times and fuel cost a bit but not much. You won't get to the French Alps in 1 day without a long day just on Motorways. French fuel stations are often unmanned or have odd hours so make sure you have a card that will work on French pumps. (not all do)

With the exception of the Alps maybe, I wouldn't book much in the way of accoms in advance beyond your first night. Something always delays you or you change routes because of weather so it's best to wing it. Last year in the alps the weather turned very nasty so we got out and went into mainland France instead. Hotel B&B is a nationwide French Travelodge style accoms which is good value.

More recently we have tried to have a rest day mid tour and do something non bike. Sports bikes in mountains are hard work on your body (you can be going up or down for 45 mins straight) and it's nice to have a break. We have done white water rafting and Via ferrata in the Pyrenees. Canoed down the Ardeche river in the South of France or just chilled at a Festival (Aug/Sept is festival season in Spain).

Europe is much more bike friendly than the UK and for the most part people are more than pleased to see you. Speaking the lingo helps but lots of gestures and hand waving will get you most things (and convince policeman that it's too much hassle bollocking you) France especially in the mid and north has a fair few roadside speed camera's even in the middle of nowhere and they now have access to the DVLA database so be careful. I've yet to see a speed camera in Spain myself.

Deffo do it.

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 13:07
Forgot to add. Get health insurance especially in France. An ambulance will take you to the nearest emergency ward be it private or not if your injury is serious. One of the guys who toured with us went to the Alps previously and one guy fell off in a tunnel and got taken to A & E where he stayed for a few days before coming home. The bill was £10k
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 15:03
Holy moly.

Well thank you, very much for that input. Much
apreciated🧐💪
Shake'n bake
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 15:45

Spanish mountain roads often have tightening bends or double apexes so you have to concentrate and not charge in or you will get into trouble fast.

Hahahahahaaa...yep.
Few years ago, in the Pico's I went into a left hand turn a bit hot, wrong line, thought I'll get this...
Was imediately followed by a tight right....thought...yep...I've got this too...just...
Only to be followed by another tight left...bastardo!...position on road was everywhere I shouldn't have been.
By this time I'd scrubbed enough speed off to just pootle into the ditch.
Got away with it, other than £1200 to sort bike, and £1500 helmet and leathers.
Still rode bike for the rest of the week.
But lesson learned.
It was FTM's fault.....Wink

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 19:57
Local knowledge?....... Priceless Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 20:14
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

Spanish mountain roads often have tightening bends or double apexes so you have to concentrate and not charge in or you will get into trouble fast.

Hahahahahaaa...yep.
Few years ago, in the Pico's I went into a left hand turn a bit hot, wrong line, thought I'll get this...
Was imediately followed by a tight right....thought...yep...I've got this too...just...
Only to be followed by another tight left...bastardo!...position on road was everywhere I shouldn't have been.
By this time I'd scrubbed enough speed off to just pootle into the ditch.
Got away with it, other than £1200 to sort bike, and £1500 helmet and leathers.
Still rode bike for the rest of the week.
But lesson learned.
It was FTM's fault.....Wink

Was I infront or behind you? Can't remember now but I remember the damage, it didn't look much but the price of replacement parts Thumbs Down.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 10:24

Was I infront or behind you?

F*ck knows......I was way too busy trying to keep it on the road....LOL
burt99 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burt99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 11:43
Highly recommend getting one of these (or similar) for the monotonous autoroute sections of the trip:

Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 14:12
If you're planning on riding any mountain passes in whichever Country you're visiting then check out the local cycle groups as they often have club races up or down them which means either closed roads or lots of bloody cyclists. They'll usually be announced on line so pretty easy to find.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 14:19
Originally posted by Gazza Gazza wrote:

If you're planning on riding any mountain passes in whichever Country you're visiting then check out the local cycle groups as they often have club races up or down them which means either closed roads or lots of bloody cyclists. They'll usually be announced on line so pretty easy to find.

And don't do what my brother did and make rude signs at them for blocking the road and then find out it's a dead end or wrong road and have to ride back past them again. They love that 
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 17:33
Originally posted by burt99 burt99 wrote:

Highly recommend getting one of these (or similar) for the monotonous autoroute sections of the trip:

I've used them before and they are good, my missus swears by them and she wouldn't be without one on any journey over 50 miles. But don't do what my mate Harry did and forget it was fitted, he ended up accelerating from a standstill across a car park and into a pond. Big smile
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 19:06
wow into a pond?😂
Be fun to try one though. 
Keep the tips coming, they are very welcome.
Thank you
Shake'n bake
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 21:01

Originally posted by burt99 burt99 wrote:

I've used them before and they are good, my missus swears by them and she wouldn't be without one on any journey over 50 miles. But don't do what my mate Harry did and forget it was fitted, he ended up accelerating from a standstill across a car park and into a pond. Big smile

Handy thing to know Confused

I got one of those given to me at a petrol station a while back.  Some guy on a bike had just taken it off saying he couldn't get on with it and was it any good to me.

I thought it would be rude to decline the gift so took it with thanks and just filed it away in the garage .
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 22:38
My mistake, Harry didn't end up in the pond he stopped 3 foot short.
"f**k me news travels fast..... Had just split up from the Northern lot and heading for the chunnel at Calais. We'd had a long day of motorway riding back from Germany so was using a throttle rest.
 Having filled up with petrol I noticed a BMW bike in the car park and was checking if it was a police bike. Looked round and unintentionally lent on the throttle rest. Shot across car park straight up the curb and onto a grass area. ABS chattering away on the grass, I was hardly slowing down when I noticed I was rapidly approaching a pond. There was no way the bugger was going to stop so I just stepped off the thing with 3ft to spare.
 Loverly soft grass spared the bike any damage so the only thing hurt was my ego. Not helped by original said biker pissing himself laughing.
The throttle rest got lobbed in the pond"

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 09:39

Did it a couple of years back and going again this year. 
After a trip from North Yorkshire to Portsmouth the ferry is a good overnight rest and you save time and auto route miles. Roads in Northern Spain and the Spanish side of the Pyrenees are on the whole, excellent. I'm sure all UK's EU contributions have gone on Spanish road improvements!!
On the way back we're going up through France to Cherbourg for the high speed ferry back to Pothole City.
 Also great B&Bs, food, wine, scenery etc...what's not to like.
Remember, you only live once.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:23
can i ask when you are going? Are there many
of you going?
Sorry to sound introucive.

Shake'n bake
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:55
Going about 20 July for 2 weeks; would have gone for more but the couple me and the wife are travelling with can only get 2 weeks off. Unfortunately I'll be on my Honda, mainly because it can carry a lot of luggage and the wife's Ducati cant. We also decided to pre book all the B&Bs this time round to make things easier. Just praying for some decent weather.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 16:58
sounds nice. Have nice trip. 
I am back and forth on booking full package
or just winging it
Shake'n bake
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic