rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

modifications v bike value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: modifications v bike value
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 20:31
so most of us ape owners seem to splash out on a range of modifications ranging from increasing reliability to outright performance. now i know that ive probably spent way too much on my gen 2 ( and ive only just got started ! ) but what mods actually increase the value of our bikes ?? is it rare parts or no parts ie totally standard ??
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 20:50
Originally posted by colinmeadows colinmeadows wrote:

so most of us ape owners seem to splash out on a range of modifications ranging from increasing reliability to outright performance. now i know that ive probably spent way too much on my gen 2 ( and ive only just got started ! ) but what mods actually increase the value of our bikes ?? is it rare parts or no parts ie totally standard ??

Not much increases value to be honest. Especially modding wise as a potential buyer has no idea of your competency in modding or might share your taste so it ads an element of doubt. I would pay more for a bike that has maybe say a set of cans but otherwise stock than one that has mods galore, and half a pro bolt catalogue of blingy bits etc etc. Maybe Carbon wheels might add something but nowhere near what they cost.  

A decent service history, the look of a cared for but unmolested bike generally sells best.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 21:43
got loads on mine , might make selling easier but not much increase in selling value me thinks .
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 05:23
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Originally posted by colinmeadows colinmeadows wrote:

Not much increases value to be honest. Especially modding wise as a potential buyer has no idea of your competency in modding or might share your taste so it ads an element of doubt. I would pay more for a bike that has maybe say a set of cans but otherwise stock than one that has mods galore, and half a pro bolt catalogue of blingy bits etc etc. Maybe Carbon wheels might add something but nowhere near what they cost.  

A decent service history, the look of a cared for but unmolested bike generally sells best.
This 100%
As Spoonz said a nice clean and full service history is worth a lot. Engine work will to de-value slightly as it adds the element of doubt to the mechanical reliability.

The best thing to do is either add stuff that can be taken off and sold separately or get a standard parts to replace your modded ones.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 09:26
Best advice Clap

Although that would mean less of these ' my bike is worth £x,000 more because it has anodized everything and chopped cans'  kind of threads,which I rather enjoy reading Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 13:12
Always keep your original Aprilia parts.

A standard-ish bike will appeal to to a larger range of potential buyers on resale.

I'm a modder through and through, but if looking for a bike, I don't want to buy something that's got more than a pipe and maybe a few sensible bits, plus low mileage/full service history.

As far as value, maybe a big bore might increase it very slightly (but will put some off) and CF wheels as Spoonz says. But will not increase the bikes value any where near the amount they cost. Spending X amount on a bike does not make it worth X amount more. In some cases it will actually devalue it. However one may get lucky, as somethings value is determined by what someone is prepared to pay. But I've seen some very trick bikes for sale for a looong time. Some of the Jesters spring to mind and Shauns carbon gen 1.

I'd lose thousands if I sold mine, literally. Some bits are rare and pretty much irreplaceable. Sadly they would probably add little in terms of value. I wouldn't mod anything extensively, unless I was going to keep it.

Lots of these get broken, because in some cases it's the only way to get ones money back.

There will come a time, when the purists will step in and will be dismissive of anything less than standard. I've watched it happen with Land Rovers etc and they get quite angry, which is rather fun. LOL LOL LOL

I will keep calm and carry on modding, because it makes me happy to build my own dream Mille for myself.

Question everything.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 15:00
Hey Rick,

With all that dodgy carbon on your bike mate it must be horrendously de-valued!

Tell you what I'll cut my own throat and give you a tenner and half a pack of hobnobs for it Thumbs Up

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 16:19
I'm so grateful to you Fuggers, I thought I'd be stuck with it. There's times when you've just got to cut your losses and take what's offered.

If you chuck a Mars bar in, we can talk turkey.

LOL LOL
Question everything.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 16:43
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

If you chuck a Mars bar in, we can talk turkey.

LOL LOL

Damn you drive a hard bargain, I'm out Wink
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 17:03

I don't want to buy something that's got more than a pipe and maybe a few sensible bits

Agree, I'm gonna struggle when I sell my lowish miles Tuono R
Non-standard stuff includes.....NOTHING Chinese...NO knock off rubbish...
Oz wheels/bridgeport valves
Aprilia Factory hugger
Aprilia Factory belly pan
Maxton GP30 big piston fork conversion with SKF seals (about £1400?)
Maxton RT10 rear shock
Gilles rearsets with Aprilia RSV4 rear brake m/c
Gilles TCA wheel adjusters
Ackras
...and a gazzillion other bits, GRG levers, R&G crash protection, etc,etc,etc....
As long as it goes to a good home....
Did I mention it's got nothing Chinese?
Well, maybe, with the exception of one or two zip ties....LOL

Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 18:16
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

I don't want to buy something that's got more than a pipe and maybe a few sensible bits

Agree, I'm gonna struggle when I sell my lowish miles Tuono R
Non-standard stuff includes.....NOTHING Chinese...NO knock off rubbish...
Oz wheels/bridgeport valves
Aprilia Factory hugger
Aprilia Factory belly pan
Maxton GP30 big piston fork conversion with SKF seals (about £1400?)
Maxton RT10 rear shock
Gilles rearsets with Aprilia RSV4 rear brake m/c
Gilles TCA wheel adjusters
Ackras
...and a gazzillion other bits, GRG levers, R&G crash protection, etc,etc,etc....
As long as it goes to a good home....
Did I mention it's got nothing Chinese?
Well, maybe, with the exception of one or two zip ties....LOL

When I tried to sell my Tuono Racing in October/ Novemeber, it wouldn't sell with my carbon on. So I took it all off and it I sold/ swapped it for my Mille R track bike..

How much for and what R&G stuff do you have, if you want to sell them??

Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:41
You'll never get back the price of the investment in the upgraded parts, as Jolly says you'll get a far better price removing all the upgrades and putting the bike back to standard, then sell all the goodies seperately and get a far better return on your investment. Most buyers prefer a standard or as close to standard as possible bike then choose what they want to add themselves.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic