rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swingarm removal ( Gen2)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swingarm removal ( Gen2)
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:26
Morning all.

Ive replaced/ greased all the bearings but the one in the swingarm is rusted solid can not get it out. Tried the threaded rod with sockets and nuts all day yesterday but the bastard wont budge actually bent the rod instead!

Although I hate to give in I'm pretty fed up with it especially now the suns backand everything else on the bike is sorted( i hope ) so im going to take it toa local mechanic .

Ive read the manual regarding removing the swingarm but i didn't quite understand hat it ment about the adjusting rod. Is it a simple undo the castle nut and slide out the spindle or is there something else that needs to be done? Does the chain have to come off?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the daft questions but ive never taken the arm off before. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:52
To remove swingarm:
Support bike on blocks/jacks to take weight of s/arm
Back wheel out
Shock out
Exhaust header out
Undo castelated nut on r/h side
Then with an allen key, undo s/arm spindle on l/h side
Place blocks or similar under bike to take weight of s/arm when it drops
Pull spindle out
Bob's yer Aunties husband.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:12
excellent thanks tifa however I'm not looking forward to getting the header off 4hose nuts look like the swingarm bearing . 
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:29
Doesnt the chain go through the swing arm as per the Gen 1?

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:57
Ooo...yes, now you mention it, I think it does?

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 14:40
2 choices then, split the chain or remove the front sprocket and leave the chain on the swing arm. I did this and wrapped the chain in bubble wrap to protect the swinger.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 19:18
didn't think of that Steve I'll leave it on. Going to have to wait until next week now back to work hope the sunshine holds.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 19:38
Thanks for the tips gents finally got it off  without too much trouble and now at my mate's workshop to fit new bearings so I'm getting closer to actually riding it again ! Why do aprilia use such random sizes for nuts? 26mm for the nut and 14mm hex for the spindle. Neither i had and both a pain to get due to tbe odd size Angry
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 20:02
Whahey, good stuff Ad. 
 I was gonna text you tonight to see how it went.
Glad it's all coming together at last and just in time for some good weather i reckon 😎👌. 
Oh, got the filter as well so cheers for that dudeBig smile
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 21:54
Have you got the manual for the refitting procedure?
The axle needs torquing first, then the castellated 'nut' , finally the 26mm nut on the left hand side.

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 20:43
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Have you got the manual for the refitting procedure?
The axle needs torquing first, then the castellated 'nut' , finally the 26mm nut on the left hand side.

Yep premium member so i have the manual just wasn't sure reading it but it all made sense once on the job. All back together now tommorow is the big day everything is done now just need fuel and hopefully she will be back to life.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 00:36
Nice one Adam mate, enjoy yourself  tomorrow Approve
Question everything.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 13:13
Nothing better than having a well fettled machine Thumbs Up
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 05:16
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

Nice one Adam mate, enjoy yourself  tomorrow Approve

Sorry mate only just noticed this. Didn't go as well as i hoped small oil leak to contend with but im confident I can get her ready for the mot Monday and I'll be coming your way very soonWink
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 05:18
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Nothing better than having a well fettled machine Thumbs Up

Cheers Steve been a long haul on this particular ape sorting out previous owners neglect but im getting there slowly . Would help if i wasn't so useless at not losing things must sort out the cave far too much crap that shouldn't be in there!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic