rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RST Leathers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RST Leathers
    Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 17:07
Thinking of upgrading my leathers, RST seem to be good value, what are your opinions on them.

Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 18:05
not tried their leathers but had rst boots. Good price but they fell apart pretty quick. Might be a case of you get what you pay for and had I got higher spec rst boots they may have been fine. 
Wayneoh View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayneoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 18:28
I was just about to comment on the RST 2 piece suit that I had quite a few years ago but then, when I checked, realised it was an IXS. So, sorry, no help.
Wayne.   2005 RSV1000R Red.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 19:00
I think Garin has RST leathers (in action man size). He can give you a steer when he see's your post.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 21:09
I have a one piece RST suit (TracTec Evo 11) bought to replace the Arlen Ness 2 piece suit that came second best in a fight with the Donnington tarmac.

I bought this suit against the advice of the sales guy at J&S who was fiercely of the opinion they shouldn't even stock them.

That said they fitted perfectly and I wasn't about to pay over a grand for decent A*'s so as my track day bud also has a Tractec 1 suit I decided to take a chance

The first day I wore them I came back into the paddock and someone said " What happened to your leathers?"  the collar had separated from the shoulder/body at one side Shocked

I returned them to J&S expecting them to replace them but they said I must have torn them putting the suit on and they had to be returned to RST for inspection,which was a PITA as I had another trackday coming up shortly.

Upshot was they (someone at RST I suppose) roughly gathered the two edges and crudely over-stitched them together again. Wasn't happy but needed them so not a lot I could do I the circumstances

The difference between putting these on compared with an Alpinestars suit is night and day different, the A*'s feel like proper PPE,fit for purpose.  The RST's feel like you're getting ready to pop to the shops and pose on the way

Would I buy Rip,Stop,Tear, gear again?   If I was desperate possibly, one hopes that their pro level kit that the sponsored riders wear is of a much better quality

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 21:43
Holy sh*t that doesn't sound good, and the thing is I have a teknic two piece suit with years, which I have to say seems very well put together and the leather feels a lot stronger than the RST leather, its just the jacket has shrunk LOL
I have been using a set of Hein Gericke proshell (PSX-RS) textiles but never feel as safe with them, they are very good quality but are starting to fray around the knee of the pants. 

davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 22:03
Check out the second hand suit suppliers you should get a good quality suit for the same money.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 22:31
I have a 1 piece texsport suit in a 54 if that would be any good. Only used them limited times and broke 1 calf zip.  I replaced it but never used them again as I prefer 2 piece.  Came from cissbury leathers who imported them from Italy but cissbury went bust.

Silver/black mostly with speed hump

Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 22:54
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

I think Garin has RST leathers (in action man size). He can give you a steer when he see's your post.

No I've got a set of Richa leathers which have been sent back for repair twice in 6 months so I'd avoid those !

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 23:49

I have a 1 piece texsport suit in a 54 if that would be any good. Only used them limited times and broke 1 calf zip.  I replaced it but never used them again as I prefer 2 piece.  Came from cissbury leathers who imported them from Italy but cissbury went bust.

Silver/black mostly with speed hump

Thanks for the offer Spoonz, I am euro 54, prefer two piece as well and the fact I have a tuono would think the speed hump would look out of place, thanks anyway. I think Held stuff is really good, expensive but good, have two pairs of held gloves and love them, local dealer but he doesn't stock a lot .
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 08:40
I think it also matters quite a bit WHO you buy leathers from as well as what brand,hence I bought from arguably the biggest retailer in the sector rather than online.

Can't remember who told me this story about RST but I tend to believe it COULD be true. Allegedly someone came off on track and their new RST suit just fell apart Shocked   (hence the Rip Stop Tear I suppose)   Upon the factory checking to find out how this could happen they found it WASN'T a genuine RST suit ( again ALLEGEDLY)

I think this alleged/mythical ?  rider had bought the suit new from somewhere on Ebay and it was a clever counterfeit that looked identical but with inferior build quality

In spite of RST being a British firm I'm led to believe some/all of the leatherwork is actually done abroad, Pakistan if memory serves. IF that is true one can understand how this could be possible

I realised just after buying my suit that with the then Sterling/Euro exchange rate I could have bought a genuine last years top end model Alpinestars suit from Germany for the same price I payed J&S for the Tractec and had it delivered within the week,knowledge that enabled me to later buy my Daytona boots for less than 2/3rds the price asked in this country.

Unfortunately these days currencies are more equal and this is no longer an option,SO, would I buy another RST suit?    No,having borrowed an Alpinestars suit for a day I think I'd rather make sacrifices and go for one of those instead as they are a different world quality and feel wise.

Had I not used an A*'s suit I wouldn't have found the difference in quality and probably been quite happy with my purchase,less so with the collar coming unstitched. Although between the built in back protector and confines of getting dressed in a crowded van I concede I might have over-stressed the suit putting it on but come on, that's the environment they are supposed to be made for and my previous suits from Hein Gericke and Arlen Ness have managed fine.

That was just a cautionary tale,even a bottom of the pile leather suit is going to protect you better than textiles,I ruined an Arlen Ness suit on track but didn't lose any skin so protective equipment worked  Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 08:56
Ive got a pair of Big Boy size Dainese race pants only used 3 times for sale

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 09:11
Originally posted by Sabre Sabre wrote:

I'd have them if they would fit a lean, mean, vibrant machine such as myself. But I fear they might be too large around the bot bot area, no ?
Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 09:31

I'd have them if they would fit a lean, mean, vibrant machine such as myself. But I fear they might be too large around the bot bot area, no ?

Race pants with your bike ? Surely comfortable slacks to go with the pipe !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:00
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

In spite of RST being a British firm I'm led to believe some/all of the leatherwork is actually done abroad, Pakistan if memory serves. IF that is true one can understand how this could be possible

You will find that most A* stuff is now made in Asia, often China (As almost everything is now) however the real issue is how the manufacturing is controlled. You are correct however, I some time ago stopped buying most things on ebay if the function or quality is important. Leathers, no way, brake pads, no way. Not unless it's from a well known retailer that happens to be on ebay
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:07
I expected a torrent of abuse from Spoonz but you,Garin! Mate. Im disapointed.

Yes they are 3xl and they are to big for me now I am a lean, mean , knee down machine. 

But Dainese make mighty fine leathers.

damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:17
well there has been a lot of mention of not buying from ebay, but as luck would have it someone was selling a second hand teknics suit the exact same model as the one I have only the next size up, looks mint in the pics so hopefully all will be good.I spotted on the tag of a set of A* gloves I had "made in vietnam", isn't everything made in countries where labour is cheap these days,  are triumph bikes being built in India. As regards the fit of the rst gear it was very comfortable but compared to the teknic leathers they don't seem to be the same quality,  a friend has come off on track 3 times with a two piece teknic suit, plenty scuffing but no tears or burst stitching . 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:24

Yes they are 3xl and they are to big for me now I am a lean, mean , knee down machine. 

I've lost nearly a stone this year from cycling so no hope in hell of fitting me then. My existing troons are too big now hence why I need some new ones.

Garin has become quite abusive generally Stu, I think it's a complex from having to buy his clothes in the action man department of Toys r us. Now they have gone bust he will have to resort to Launceston dolls shop as before.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 10:44
My two penneths worth aare that Spyke are great suits, my suit is coming up for 10 years old and has suvived a rough and tumble with Snetterton tarmac (my 998 didn't fair as well) and 10 years of my bulk expanding.

I will be replacing them this year and will either buy another spyke suit of get a made to measure by Jay Dexter (find him on FB) who makes road and race suits for supermoto which have had good reviews and about the same price as an off the peg suit.
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:00
I agree re Spyke, I have two of them. One is an officially branded Aprilia two piece but made by Spyke and another Spyke own label. Both are excellent.

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:28
I've had a pair of RST Blade 2 piece leathers for a couple of years and the wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday, so I decided on a new set of leathers.
I spent a lot of internet time looking at what was available and seeing past the old wive's tales and gossip to actually try to find out what the best leathers were. Some of the results were quite surprising and the two articles below are essential reading if you're in the market.
I decided I liked the sound of Arc-On but when I rang them they have now discontinued all but their top of the range suits. This is due to changes in EU law regarding motorcycle clothing now being classed as PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). 
Most of the leather manufacturers are having to change their leather build standards to meet the new regulations, which come into effect about now.
In the end I decided that for the riding I do and my positive experience with RST leathers and their Adventure textile suit, I was happy to replace my leather trousers with another pair of RST's.
I've found them to be very good value for money, nothing has come apart, they're durable and certainly decent quality.
However when all is said and done the only decent recommendation for how good a set of leathers are is from someone who's been down the road in them, and I haven't put my RST's to this test (yet...touches wood).

Part 1:

Part 2:
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 14:16
I've got RST 2 piece leathers, I've owned them for 6 years and it hasn't been the best of relationships to be honest.

My first jacket split on the collar, and the Zips on the arms at 6 weeks old, they had to go back for inspection smack bang in the middle of summer to my annoyance! They then changed the jacket to a new one FOC.

My waterproof boots were less than waterproof and had to be changed. The second pair have been fine and are really comfy, but the Velcro isn't the best.

My trousers also split at the seems, not due to my growing gut I'll have you know they were repaired under warranty and have started to fail again.

I'm hopefully going to get some new leathers this year, I'll be using a small independant compnay that offers a made to measure & Custom service.

The bloke (Mani I think is his name) gave me a whole load of information on whats good, whats not and why the major brands charge so much. His company is called Titanswear, find him on FB. Alot of the racers use him and hes able to make a two piece in almost any colour, made to measure at similar costs to the higher range RST Product. He also has different grades to offer.

My RST textiles on the other hand, that have covered ridiculous mileage through a sh*&tty winter, commuting back and forth work 150 miles a day, have stood the test, are comfortable and hold the weather well.

That's my 50 pence worth, hopefully it'll help in some sort of decision.
Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 15:22

That was for Spoonz to be fair, given his choice of old mans bike as his fine lady has pointed out a couple of times

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 15:24

I've lost nearly a stone this year from cycling so no hope in hell of fitting me then. My existing troons are too big now hence why I need some new ones.

Garin has become quite abusive generally Stu, I think it's a complex from having to buy his clothes in the action man department of Toys r us. Now they have gone bust he will have to resort to Launceston dolls shop as before.

I’ve lost a stone before I’ve got a push bike you fat git

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 15:32
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

You will find that most A* stuff is now made in Asia, often China (As almost everything is now) however the real issue is how the manufacturing is controlled. You are correct however, I some time ago stopped buying most things on ebay if the function or quality is important. Leathers, no way, brake pads, no way. Not unless it's from a well known retailer that happens to be on ebay

True enoughConfused

I was wearing A*'s gloves when I tested the Donny tarmac and those things just just split all the seams round my right thumb and index finger. They were only the cheapo ones however,now got a set of their GP gloves bought for half price from a workmate who couldn't get on with them so hopefully they'll be built better.

Just in case I think I'll concede the tarmac is 'arder than me and stop the destruction testing Smile
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 15:42
Originally posted by Garin Garin wrote:

You only weighed 2 stone to start with ya muppet. My weight loss would have been double had I not put on muscle mass as I lost weight.  Wink

Maybe you lost a stone from your wallet after fixing that KTM.
Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 16:11

You only weighed 2 stone to start with ya muppet. My weight loss would have been double had I not put on muscle mass as I lost weight.  Wink

Maybe you lost a stone from your wallet after fixing that KTM.

I lost a stone from my wallet paying for a bad service before hand that’s for sure

This muscle mass you speak off, your hiding it well I’ll give you that

Stealth muscle is a thing who knew !

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 16:17

I am a lean, mean , knee down machine. 

That was for Spoonz to be fair, given his choice of old mans bike as his fine lady has pointed out a couple of times

Ah, I see what happened. Good call mate. The Bavarian tractor was a surprising choice at his time of life.

Garin View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group
A Big Bore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 16:25

[QUOTE=Sabre] I am a lean, mean , knee down machine. 

Ah, I see what happened. Good call mate. The Bavarian tractor was a surprising choice at his time of life.

[/QUOTE

Lieutenant Gruber and his tiny tank 

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 16:32

Not much else appealed to be honest. I have the rsv so a second sports bike was pointless and as most of my annual miles is now touring (Wales in May hopefully and Spain in Sept) it made sense.

Not that I should justifying you 2 jokers with a sensible answer but your such easy targets for ridicule that it's not sporting. Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic