rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

removing wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing wheel bearings
    Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 13:05
hi all I am going to get me wheels coated so I'm after any tips easiest way to get the bearings out also the cush rubbers
cheers 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 13:16
The wheel bearings knock out, the centre tube will push over slightly to one side so you can get a drift on the edge of the bearing, the Cush drives will pull out but may need some wd40 to help them.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 13:51
cheers hemi I will have a go this weekend 
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 18:10
I removed the same a few months back on my Gen 1 Tuono and have to say the wheel bearings are a total b'stard to get out. In my case there was no play in the centre tube, in fact it has 3 arms on its outer surface at 120° each to prevent the tube moving out of centre. 
If you look carefully at one end of the centre tube where it abuts one of the bearings you'll see a small cut out. This allows you to get a punch past the centre tube to hit the bearing out. However I had to grind a long screwdriver blade to shape to get it to fit into the tube's cut out.
Then you have to hit your punch HARD, and I mean HARD, to get the bearing moving. 
Once its moved a bit you can access the full diameter of the inner race so you're not hitting in the same area all the time. Once the first one is out the centre tube comes out and the second bearing is obviously much easier. 
I seem to remember there is a large circlip to remove on the rear wheel before bearing removal is possible. Also my cush drive housing would not budge, despite removing all the socket head bolts; I didn't fancy forcing it, so left it in place and it made no difference to the final paint finish.
As Hemi says, spray a little WD40 down the sides of the cush drives and rotate them out using a screwdriver in the centre holes. Re install them using red rubber grease.
Keep your old bearings and use them to punch your new bearings in with but only hit them on the outer race.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 20:30
cheers for the tip steve every little helps
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 20:38
If you have a heat gun warm hubs makes bearing submit easyier think there is a circlip one side depending on year.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 03:41
ok i have a heat gun i will dig it out i forgot to say the wheels are oz will a heat gun be ok on them
cheers
PaulW View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 09:02
something I’ve learnt along the way. You know those anchor bolts you can get in DIY stores, usually hex headed that pull on a nut opening up the flanges attached? Get a couple of suitable size, wind them into the bearing so the flanges touch the inner shell, tighten them up then whack the crap out of it from underneath (wheel being supported off the ground obviously). Works every time for me. 

HTH 
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 09:49
that sounds straight forward they must be biguns I think I have some m16 ones and they may be a bit small what size did you use
cheers Paul 
PaulW View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 13:21
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

that sounds straight forward they must be biguns I think I have some m16 ones and they may be a bit small what size did you use
cheers Paul 

Just some I had hanging around mate, 20mm? Can't quite recall but the flanges do expand quite a way

Have a youtube vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Y6MKTpW70

Thumbs Up
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 14:47
Nice one Paul ill give that a go this weekend
cheers 
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 20:33
Don't forget to put your new bearings in the freezer for a few hours before you fit.
Will help them in.
benx View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:12
I bought a cheap £30 slide hammer/bearing extractor off ebay to do mine. As per stevex, mine were a bugger to get out. I applied a load of heat then spent a good 10 minutes of pounding (and more heat) before they even started to move.

I also found it tricky getting new ones back in (even with heat). Take your time and be careful with the hammer (until you've got them well and truly started in the hole) or they will jam. Looking back I wish I used Tifa's freezing the new bearings tip.

I also beat mine in using the old bearing as a drift. I only used the outer race though (I cut a slit in the outer with an angle grinder & pushed the inner out). This made it easy smacking the new ones in on the outers only (and made retrieving the drift easy when done).

You've got to take yours out anyway but another tip for anyone else doing this is to make absolutely sure your old bearings actually need replacing...

I replaced mine as I thought they were shot. I pulled the seal to examine mine and discovered all the bearing grease was caked in rust. However, when I got the old ones out they were absolutely perfect - all the rust had come from the sodding circlip
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 19:38
cheers benx i done the rear ones saturday and they came out quite easy probably cos they aint been in that long so the front should be the same i use the freezer method too it does help 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic