FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much fuel for a track day?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much fuel for a track day?
    Posted: 10 May 2018 at 08:10
Sounds about the same as what I used blinkey. Should be more or less the same for all 7x20 minute session trackdays.

So at novice pace you could get away with a full tank plus a 10 litre jerry. I'm sure my 20 litre jerry will come in handy as I get quicker.

Actually I'm planning on getting another jerry can so I can turn up with only a few litres in the tank as Jollygiant said. The full tank didn't affect me when I first turned up because the whole thing was so new. But later in the day I did start to appreciate the slightly lighter bike.
blinkey501 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blinkey501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 05:33
In my Gen 1 I used a full tank plus 2 extra gallons at Anglesey on a novice day.
The circuit is just over two miles long.
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 13:42
Yeah it feels too quick until you let go and tip in. Then you realise you could have carried more speed.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 08:46
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Yeah,I found myself fixating a bit going into Mansfield and forgetting to release the brakes as well LOL

My only time at Cadwell I found Mansfield the biggest challenge. Downhill on the brakes, just didn't want to let them off! SmileEmbarrassed
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 07:48
To be honest Ian I probably could have gone round Mansfield much quicker anyway so there was no need to trailing the brakes in. It's a deceptive corner that looks tight until you tip in and it then opens right up. There's a nice camber to it too.

Wet and dry Mille, what luxury! I've got a track day fund going where I save £100 each month, idea being it will build up a bit over winter. I think it's not going to be enough...

I look forward to increasing my pace. I think the first day out was mostly spent getting used to the track and the speed. Looking at the footage I see my lap times more or less plateaued on the 3rd session. That would have been the one where I scared myself in a few places like almost losing the front. Wasn't going any faster by the end of the day but I felt far more comfortable and things were slowing down in front of my eyes.

Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 21:15
Good on ye , easy to get hooked, but theres worse things we could be doing !!
I went from having a run up to Knockhill to see what it was all about .. to having
a lwb Transit with a wet and a dry Mille .. and I`m 62 and as slow as a week in
the jail.. but no-one has a wider smile Big smile..
Was well chuffed you got out ..Thumbs Up
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 21:00

Yeah,I found myself fixating a bit going into Mansfield and forgetting to release the brakes as well LOL

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 13:52
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72xIEBHwgY[/video]

Well my margins were definitely sensible ha. Almost tucked the front trailing the brakes into Mansfield which was a bit of an eye opener. Let go of the lever before tipping in after that!

Also felt the back end squirm slighly going up Coppice and Charlies 1. Don't know if that was from melting tyres or from the undersprung shock.. On my to do list to find a higher rate spring for the shock. I'm about 100kg and although the forks are fine, the shock is wound down to the stop and still sagging far too much.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:03
Oh dear

My name is blacklines .....and I am an addict LOL

It does tend to be polarizing,you either hate it and are glad to walk away alive or you embrace it suddenly every spare penny ...

Glad you enjoyed it,the main thing to remember is that it's for FUN,it's not a race so always try and leave sensible margins
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 09:51
In case anyone is interested, I took a 20L jerry can and the bike was a few litres away from being full. By the end of the day there I was just hitting the reserve again and had around 10 litres left in jerry.

This was at a very slow pace (2:20 at Cadwell Ermm) for most of the day but I did ride every session.

You were right Ian. I'm hooked now and can't wait to get back on track!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 09:23
It's a track that has everything except room LOL 

I must be one of the few that try and keep the bike on the road over the mountain, I got exuberant there once and didn't really enjoy the experience. Old age and an increased sense of self preservation kicking in.

Just take it easy for a bit and enjoy the day, hopefully the weather will be good, that track has its own ecosystem, it can be raining hard all day there yet be perfect a few miles away.

One good day there and you'll find yourself hooked for life. Track days are addictive Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 08:22
Thanks Ian.

I don't expect to set any lap records either. On the road I take it pretty easy and through the dales I tend to find I get overtaken by about as many bikes as I overtake myself. But that's leaving a margin of error for how far I can see and what might be on the road around the next hedge. On track I'm looking forward to seeing how well I can corner when I don't need to leave that margin of error. Oh and going over 110 mph on a bike will be a first for me.

Yeah I've heard about Cadwell having lot's of mid corner bumps and changes in camber to look out for. I've got a really limited budget so if I trash my fairings the bike might end up being track only.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 22:32
My experience is I've never managed to get through a full tank on the bike and the 20ltr can I always take.       Sadly  I'm not setting any lap records either so that might explain why.                         

However if Cadwell is your first trackday I would spend some time getting used to the circuit before looking for a fast lap so that will ease the fuel situation a good bit.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 19:49
Yeah true
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:18
Better to take too much than to run out during a session, its embarrasing if nothing else. Its not as though you wont use the surplus at some later date.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:34
Do you reckon "1060 Big Bore" from your signature had anything to do with that Fugly?

I find the light starts showing now and again after bends and 10 miles later will come on solidly when upright. Think it's right hand bends that do it from memory. Was that 58 miles solid or just a flash after a bend?
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 10:21
I got 58 miles to the light out of mine at Spa last year!

But I had to run stock cans as it was a 100dB @ 8K revs noise limit which buggered the fuelling up but even so that light came as quite a surprise
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 08:57
Originally posted by Jollygiant Jollygiant wrote:

But it will make a difference in handling. A full tank will make harder to turn and change direction.

That's a point. Maybe I'll get 2 jerry cans to hold 2 tanks worth of fuel. Then only pour about 5-7 Litres in for each session.

To be cheap I was thinking about only getting 1 jerry can, starting the morning with a full tank and getting down to more realistic levels by lunch. Then just adding enough for each session.
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 22:10
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

Thanks Jollygiant. So 6 or 7 sessions of about 10 2.2 mile laps gives 150 odd miles so 2 tanks should do it for a full day? I'm hiring a van to take my bike down so will only need fuel for the track.

I don't think the weight of fuel is going to make much difference to my lap times ha.

But it will make a difference in handling. A full tank will make harder to turn and change direction.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 16:45
You're going to love it no going back once the track cherry is popped. Take your time ease into it and warm your tyres especially with the temperature still quite low but most of all relax and enjoy forget about what everyone else is doing and smile for the camara over the mountain
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 16:28
Ah just seen your post. Thanks badapple!

Yeah, been to see my dad race his RD350LC when I was a kid and watched a club race there last year. Really looking forward to getting out on it.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 16:25
Thanks Jollygiant. So 6 or 7 sessions of about 10 2.2 mile laps gives 150 odd miles so 2 tanks should do it for a full day? I'm hiring a van to take my bike down so will only need fuel for the track.

I don't think the weight of fuel is going to make much difference to my lap times ha.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 15:47
Two tanks a day around cadwell for me mate, Gen2 rsv but I cant imagine Gen1 would be much different. Have a great day its a fantastic track!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 15:23
I get between 70 and 85 miles on a TD to a tank, but if you not riding there just slosh bout 1/2 a tank it and keep an eye on it in between each session.
A you know fuel weighs a lot and will add minutes to your lap time!
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 14:43
I'm booked in for my first track day at Cadwell in April and am getting all the gubbings (ratchet straps, ramp, fuel cans etc.) together in preparation. If I fill the tank on the bike and take a 20/25L jerry can, will I have enough for a full day session in novice? How much petrol do you factor on using on a typical track day?

Gen 1 Mille if it makes a difference and I get 80 to 120 miles to the light on the road depending on how much I rev it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic