rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ohlins fork oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ohlins fork oil
    Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 07:08
Good morning you crAPEzy people.

Just a quick one, I need to change my fork seals as one has decided to let go. I've tried a sealmate but had no joy.

I've ordered the ohlins fork oil from demon tweeks but it's been 6 weeks and they still have none, or a date on it being dispatched (this is a pain as I have a bottle in the shed but it's not quite enough).

Is there an alternative I can use that's just as good and won't harm the forks? I need to get this bike back together, spring is slowly springing.

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 10:53
Fork oil is a bit of a mine field because what is written on the tin isn't necessarily accurate, manufacturers interpretation of 'wt' can vary wildly. You need to look at the cst (centistoke) value of a given oil to gauge it's true viscocity. Ohlins oil for the R&T forks is rated at 19cst (there may be a decimal in there but broadly speaking it's 19cst),I think using the proper Ohlins stuff is practise but if it's unavailable then looking at the cst of other oils is the only option, it's generally found in the data/spec sheet. The closest to Ohlins seems to be Torco RFF 10wt at 19.90 cst, but you could always mix different wts ie Motul light with motul 7.5wt not an exact science obviously but would give a bespoke solution.
Interestingly a lot of information re specific products viscosity can be found on mountain bike sites, high spec mtb suspension is similar in construction to motorcycle suspension (Ohlins even make mtb forks !!!) and due to the smaller size of mtb forks/shocks the wt of the oil as even more effect on how they function so there is a lot of discussion on fork oil specifics.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:08

I suspect it's more of a Demon Tweeks issue of supply and not Ohlins. I bet if you ring an Ohlins service agent you could have some tomorrow.

To be honest for the road I doubt you will go wrong with any decent quality oil of similar spec. The ohlins oil has a wide temp band where it will maintain it's damping/sheer qualities which is why it's desirable but in general it ain't a necessity.

bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 11:29
Yes the right spec oil is nice but any fork oil of a similar spec is better than no oil at all, at the limit of performance where BSB lads etc live, it matters what oil is being used, nipping along to the burger van of a Sat morning its less critical really. Not quite "Owts better than Nowt" but close.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:00
Thanks for the help and info Gents.

Still on back order with Demon Tweeks so i'm going to cancel the order and get it from a company called JHS Racing in Bristol. 
Within 15 minutes of an enquiry email they had replied (Anyone heard of them?) I may use them to service my rear shock and steering damper. To service the shock they quoted around £120 +£35 for some sort of seal (if needed). Fingers crossed it won't need anything else. 

I work in Bristol so also relatively local. 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:04
James (boss at jhs) is well known in the Ducati world and often runs a team at the TT. Never used them but have a decent rep.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 21:14
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

James (boss at jhs) is well known in the Ducati world and often runs a team at the TT. Never used them but have a decent rep.

If he's good enough for the TT, He's good enough for me LOL

Their website looks spot on, and any customer service that replies that quickly to a small query that in reality will probably not make them much money gets a thumbs up from me. Thumbs Up
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 22:21
JHS serviced my Ohlins shock last year needed a rod seal they put old one in box to prove it was changed Good service.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 22:38
Originally posted by Prsv Prsv wrote:

JHS serviced my Ohlins shock last year needed a rod seal they put old one in box to prove it was changed Good service.

What was the addition cost for the rod seal out of interest?

I can't imagine mines ever been serviced, it's bound to need some additional work. Especially with how hot they get.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 22:49
If you look on youtube at the 44teeth channel you can see James from JHS rebuild Chris Eades TTX shock. You will see what you get for your money.

Actually here it is 

Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 07:44
Was the +35 its a seal + bush holder. seal head i think they called it.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 07:51
Originally posted by Prsv Prsv wrote:

Was the +35 its a seal + bush holder. seal head i think they called it.

That must be the additional item they quoted. I guess it's a common replacement so I'll just factor that into the actual cost and expect the worst. 

Cheers Spoonz, I was watching some of their you tube videos last night (Budget bike off), James seems to know his stuff, and looks so chilled whilst having a fork leg in a gazillion pieces ha ha.

I'll watch that rebuild now. 
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 08:15
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

I was watching some of their you tube videos last night (Budget bike off)

I've been watching that. It makes me miss my ZX7-R, although the RSV is a far better bike overall.

- Sorry for thread hijack

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 17:52
I quite like the Srad, I was impressed by it's figures to. That blue screen was horrendous though. 

So my fork oil is on order from JHS Cool 

Today I removed the rear shock to give it a clean and found it's seeping some oil so that's booked in for a service to. 
Once it's all back together I think I'll get them to set the suspension for me. 

The bike is gong to feel brand new, I can't wait! 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 19:13
James also had a really rep with the SV guys, he developed the SV minitwin racer and lots of go faster goodies for the 1000 version.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 17:06
Had a call from JHS today, they need to replace some parts in the shock (as I was expecting to be honest)

They're also going to change the spring to suit my weight. How much of a difference will this actually make? Noticable? I'm hoping so as the price is starting to mount up.
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 17:43
A lot depends how you ride if you just pootle about then then it won't make much difference especially if you can obtain the correct static sag, the OE springs are designed to work reasonably well for most people in most situations. But ultimately they are going to be a compromise unless you happen to be the exact weight match for the spring that is fitted. Matching the spring to your specific body weight reduces this compromise and should allow more freedom with set up so it is worth doing.
The up shot is if you are particularly light or indeed heavy you will benefit more from tailored springs then if you are average weight, but in the end I'd say it's worth doing.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 21:11
Rather than start a new thread I figured I could aak on this one.

Changing the fork seals, is the air gap set with the spring in or out?

I have a 95mm air gap with spring in in my head for some reason.

Just looked in the manual available but it's for a Gen 1.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 23:05
Factory setting is spring in, damper rod raised - 85mm air gap.
I ran 90mm as forks ramped up too much and to get a bit more travel. But depends how you felt the forks were for you before. Some go to as much as 105mm so it’s personal preference to a point.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 06:33
Cheers Spoonz.

I did have a look online but there are a lot of conflicting articles.

I'll start at 90 and go from there.
CarsOrBikes View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:21
Motul also do the 5w oil

Nice the way that expensive shock is in a vice with no jaw protectors.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic