rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Screen differences

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen differences
    Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 13:43
Got my track fairings sprayed and got on with fitting them but the screen from my 03 will not line up at all so wandering if the nose fairing is an older shape but thought they were one size fits all in track fairings.
Anyone had a similar problem or can tell me the difference between the years.
Thanks in advance.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 15:44
98-00 or 01-03 that’s it for a gen1

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 04:36
Yeah it's just what are the differences in size that i am trying to find out to see if it's the earlier one i need but not easy trying to look at Google images to check how it will fit.
Bit of a bugger really.
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:05
I have a gen 1.5 ('01) with track fairings and had a lot of trouble with the screen and indeed the rest of it was a pain, factory fit it is not!! I think it comes down to how well made and finished the fairings are in the first place, mine required quite bit of fettling/reshaping to get it something like but even then it's no where near OE fit. There can be subtle differences depending on who's made the fairings but there should be an obvious difference between the earlier gen 1 '98-00 and the later gen 1.5 '00-03, also the earlier fairings have 3 raised arears on each side in front of the mirrors the later ones do not. Did you trial fit before paint?
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:14
No trial fit as such but the seat unit is the 03 type and holes etc line up ok,the side panels line up ok but i had to re drill a couple of the holes to fit the original belly pan as i decided to keep that for ease of use with the side stand and weight is about the same.
The nose fairing seems to all line up fine with the mounting holes it's just both the screens from my 03 fairing will not line up at all.
They were bought second hand so could be a mix up i suppose as he had 2 or 3 sets.
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 10:51
I had to cut a lot away on the belly pan as the race ones don't have the cut out for the side stand, is it just the holes that don't line up on the screen or is the shape wrong to?
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:16
I'm going to have another look at it today,it could be that the holes have previously been drilled for a different screen maybe but there is no bulge at the V part of the fairing to allow for the 01/03 screen type.
I may end up cutting a screen about and redrilling to get it to fit just to make do.
The bellypan i was going to fit but i want to keep the sidestand for ease of use at track days and the weight is very similar to road one anyway.
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 12:20
I reckon i can get it to fit by taking a little bit off the bottom of the screen and drilling new holes in the fairing.
I WILL have it finished this week!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 12:00
If the race fairing came with holes pre drilled or with dimples in the gel coat as a template then chances are they are in the wrong place. There are very few places molding earlier Mille bodywork and I got mine pre drilled which didn't line up at all.  I went back to the supplier who found his mould was wrong!   He usually leaves it to the customer to drill so never realised it was wrong.   Mine was reglassed, re painted and the new screen fitted foc.  The base mold has now been rectified.      Having said that the two gen 1screens  are different so they need matching to the correct nosecone 
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 02:05
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

If the race fairing came with holes pre drilled or with dimples in the gel coat as a template then chances are they are in the wrong place. There are very few places molding earlier Mille bodywork and I got mine pre drilled which didn't line up at all.  I went back to the supplier who found his mould was wrong!   He usually leaves it to the customer to drill so never realised it was wrong.   Mine was reglassed, re painted and the new screen fitted foc.  The base mold has now been rectified.      Having said that the two gen 1screens  are different so they need matching to the correct nosecone 

This is probably it,i have lined up the screen and redrilled the holes for it to fit but the bottom 2 i am leaving as the holes would be right on the edge of the fairing.
They were second hand anyway so just make do.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 09:40
Should anyone buying new race bodywork be worried I got mine from Race Candy so I can guarantee the mould is now correct if you get the nosecone pre drilled
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic