rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi! Soon to be a tuono owner...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Originally posted by Paddedcell100 I got mine from America ridiculously cheap, even with shipping , it was only about 25 quid but they normally go for around 40quid over here. 🖒</td></tr></table><br /><br />You did well, when I was looking the shipping was usually that and more!<br />[/QUOTE Paddedcell100 I got mine from America ridiculously cheap, even with shipping , it was only about 25 quid but they normally go for around 40quid over here. 🖒

You did well, when I was looking the shipping was usually that and more!
[/QUOTE wrote:

Didn't I just Leg' , I couldn't believe it... I saw one and threw in a stupid offer and shipping was really cheap and I'm sure I didn't get done for any duty, thibk it came under eBay's global shipping thing so it was all in... happy days😀

Didn't I just Leg' , I couldn't believe it... I saw one and threw in a stupid offer and shipping was really cheap and I'm sure I didn't get done for any duty, thibk it came under eBay's global shipping thing so it was all in... happy days😀
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 18:09
Originally posted by Mills94 Mills94 wrote:

Thanks for all the tips! I’ll certainly be having a look for the sidestand later, I’m assuming the fireblade one is a tad shorter to stop it from being so upright? And sorry for my ignorance here but whats a battery tender? And also is a 150 amp starter solenoid specific or just a general upgrade for bikes? Sorry for all the questions! I will certainly check the battery, and try and get hold of some of the upgrade cables before the trip, also.. Thankyou for the the assurance with disconnecting the battery I wasn’t worried in case it reset anything ha.

This forum certainly seems the most helpful and active I must say,
I’m really pleased I’ve got the right bike and the right group to join!

Im not sure if the later Gen2 bikes were affected i think the clocks were changed but as a precaution dont leave the key in the ignition when you disconnect/ re connect the battery. This is what wipes the mileage back to zero.

When you connect the battery . Turn on the ignition but don't start the bike. Leave for 30 seconds ( set the clock and shift light ) then off again. Now turn on and fire her up. This prevents the battery being drained because of some odd settling in the ecu i think. Again not sure if this applies to later bikes but definitely does to all the Gen2 rsv's ive had .
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 18:11
brilliant bikes,i only had the gen 1 T,same as above,had to upgrade battery too the higher cca and bought the 150 starter from griff.
what a riot those bikes are.made faster wild progress on the tuono than any race rep ive owned!
youll love it,just sort the upgrades out before they become issues and leave you stranded or bugger the sprag clutch.
prevention is better than cure mate
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 18:55
Ah I see, thankyou I will see what’s on it and check it out, I’ve already got a spare lead for my optimiate so I’ll put that on which is why I was curious about disconnecting the battery.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 18:59
Thanks for all the info Wilko, I did breifly think about it from what I’ve seen mentioned about ‘map 2’ so I’ll have to take it down to aprilia performance for a check on that!

I’m hoping it rides as good as it looks! I’ll definitely upload some pics of it when I get it home, was due to collect it Sunday but I think I’m collecting Friday now so pics will be up soon!
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 19:02
Thanks for that badapple that’s really useful to know!
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 19:04
Thanks Big Un, yeah I totally agree with that, I’ve got a fair amount of time before I go away on it to get it sorted fully, not to say it’s not getting used but that will be at it’s most vulnerable without being on the optimate for 5 day’s and possibly a lot of rain haha, I’ll certainly make sure it’s as well prepared as possible and as soon as I can I’ll look to get the parts done
TallPaul_S View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallPaul_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 21:46
Oh and another thing - use super unleaded if you can, for 2 reasons.

Firstly, they run soooo much better on super unleaded, a tank of regular unleaded would see mine running like a tractor, put a tank of BP ultimate in it and it was back to being smooth and silky :D

The other reason is some super unleaded fuels (BP Ultimate etc) don't use ethanol, ethanol will cause the plastic tank to expand, which isn't a huge issue until you come to raise the tank and it will be a major struggle to get it back down again!

Mine sits on an Oxford Oximiser all the time when not in use, keeps the battery topped up. 

Regarding the battery swap, I did mine today, the only thing that I had to reset was the time Thumbs Up
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 23:09
Thanks TallPaul, I only tend to use super unleaded in the car and bikes to be fair but definitely worth knowing regarding the plastic tank! Just out of curiosity is the expansion caused from leaving it in the bike over time or would it be ‘normal’ if you were using the tank throughout the day and filling up again, only really for curiosity but also if abroad and one place doesn’t have super (I know most do) would it be an issue
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 23:14
I always use super unleaded if it's available but if you have to refuel and it's not available you have no choice, my tank will swell slightly as I use super as much as possible.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 23:29
Yeah that's the only thing but i'm sure I'll be able to use super each fill up
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallPaul_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 23:33

Thanks TallPaul, I only tend to use super unleaded in the car and bikes to be fair but definitely worth knowing regarding the plastic tank! Just out of curiosity is the expansion caused from leaving it in the bike over time or would it be ‘normal’ if you were using the tank throughout the day and filling up again, only really for curiosity but also if abroad and one place doesn’t have super (I know most do) would it be an issue

You'll be fine with the odd tank, sustained usage will make the tank swell - it's the water in the ethanol which causes the tank to swell. Hence if you fill up and use it quick (which you will! Tongue) you won't have an issue.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 00:01
Cheers for that mate it’s put my mind at ease just in case!
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 09:32
I've had  my tank off over the winter with the fuel pump and filler removed and it appears to have "dried out" as it dropped straight on when I refitted it last weekend.
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 09:50
Just to note not all Super is free of ethanol. It's been discussed on here many times and it seems only BP is ethanol free and even then not in all areas of the UK.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:42

Just to note not all Super is free of ethanol. It's been discussed on here many times and it seems only BP is ethanol free and even then not in all areas of the UK.
i thought it was esso super that was 100% free of ethanol with the exception of the Cornwall area? Ive been using esso super for years with no problems.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

i thought it was esso super that was 100% free of ethanol with the exception of the Cornwall area? Ive been using esso super for years with no problems.

You might be right, maybe I don't know any more. Confused  Who can remind us of that info? It may well have changed now anyway.

I always use super when I can as I do think it's a better fuel can't always pick and choose the brand.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 12:07
I tend to use esso in the bike as it’s only round the corner from me but use Tesco momentum in the car as it’s 99ron
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 13:17
I can't remember who but someone on here wrote to all the fuel companies and im sure esso was the only one totally clear. It definitely makes a difference whatever the brand but i stear clear of the supermarkets. I run my diesel taxi on premium and it makes a massive difference for very little extra cash.
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 13:24
ESSO and BP super were the ethanol free brands last time we had the ethanol debate.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 13:37
Originally posted by Prsv Prsv wrote:

ESSO and BP super were the ethanol free brands last time we had the ethanol debate.
thanks so we were both right
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 21:12
So that explains why the tank on my T is a bit "long" when it comes to lifting it..! I assume anyway, only had it a few months and lifted the tank within the week of getting it. 
2008 Tuono 1000R in Orange
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallPaul_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:51
Yeah mine always used to catch on the top yoke, enough to take some paint off. After a few months drained in the airing cupboard there's a good 10mm or more of clearance now.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 20:28
Would anyone have an idea of a luggage option to fit to the tuono? I've got a tank bag but only just clicked onto the fact that i cant get away with using the magnetic oxford as the tanks plastic! But... I do have a bagster one so I'll have to get the tank cover. My main concern is I've got a few roll bags that will go on the back seat however I want to be able to keep it off the bodywork and have something solid to secure the bungies to. I have seen something that's like a rack with a steel plate that is over the back seat but off it so it cant damage anything but struggling to find something like that, if anyone could point me in the right direction it will give me some food for thought in time for when I need to order something!
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 20:48
the best of the lot is the ventura  stuff but if you want soft luggage the kriega gear is really good
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 21:04

Would anyone have an idea of a luggage option to fit to the tuono? I've got a tank bag but only just clicked onto the fact that i cant get away with using the magnetic oxford as the tanks plastic! But... I do have a bagster one so I'll have to get the tank cover. My main concern is I've got a few roll bags that will go on the back seat however I want to be able to keep it off the bodywork and have something solid to secure the bungies to. I have seen something that's like a rack with a steel plate that is over the back seat but off it so it cant damage anything but struggling to find something like that, if anyone could point me in the right direction it will give me some food for thought in time for when I need to order something!

Over christmas I managed to strap a 60 or 70 litre roll bag to the back with just 2 Rok straps around the passenger footpeg hangers and the cotton reel luggage points on the under tray in-between the rear wheel and passenger seat. With some cut up soft t-shirt to make sure the bits near the bodywork were untouched by the moving straps, it worked a treat! No moment of the bag at all, only issue was it did touch my rucksack so you'd ever have to run without one or with a slim line bag on your back. Unfortunately no photo of it. 
The tank bag I run is the SW-Motech Ion 1. About 9litres, quick release without any big tank add ons (only a raised ring around the filler cap), you don't know its there unlike the Givi tank lock one i originally had from a previous bike which poked into moi. Only issue is price as the tanking adapter is ~£50 as the fuel filler has no screw holes in it.
Recently I was very fortunate and picked up a used Ventura set on the cheep. Probably the best option for soft luggage available in my opinion. Once the racking is fitted, two buckles and thats it, big bag fitted (or other sizes, theres a range to choose from) and can fit a small grab handle when not needed. 'Tis expensive but useful.
Here's a link to the tank bag and Ventura pics (apologies for the darkness, picked up the Venturea set from 100miles away and got back late that day!); I'm still quite annoyed I don't have a fully loaded roll bag pic! 
felix View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 21:34
Ventura rack & Pack

Famsa Tank Bag

More than enough....

☺

Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 22:19
Thanks for all the help with that, I was thinking of just strapping the roll bag on to the seat as I also have rok-straps, and just putting some of that anti slip matting down that you have in kitchen drawers etc, but I have been watching a Ventura rack on eBay which I thought I could strap the bag to that!? The motech tank bag sounds good but I’m starting to collect tank bags at the min so think I’ll look into getting a bagster cover so I can use the bag, must admit I prefer the oxford magnetic one but obviously can’t use that! Bagster is fine just a faff with the raincover
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 22:20
Also... two days till bike pick up so will get some pics on!
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 22:53

Thanks for all the help with that, I was thinking of just strapping the roll bag on to the seat as I also have rok-straps, and just putting some of that anti slip matting down that you have in kitchen drawers etc, but I have been watching a Ventura rack on eBay which I thought I could strap the bag to that!? The motech tank bag sounds good but I’m starting to collect tank bags at the min so think I’ll look into getting a bagster cover so I can use the bag, must admit I prefer the oxford magnetic one but obviously can’t use that! Bagster is fine just a faff with the raincover

Yes, antislip matting is a definite for the roll bag Rok strap setup. You can indeed but a roll bag on the Ventura rack as there is an option for their Sports Rack (no pack rack roll hoop bar, just the flat rack grill) for that job.
Renntec do a rack, but I personally have no knowledge beyond it exists! https://renntec.com/aprilia-rsv1000-mille-tuono-2007-onwards-carrier-in-black.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic