rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi! Soon to be a tuono owner...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi! Soon to be a tuono owner...
    Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 19:58
Hi, I'm Jack and I'm from south Cheshire. I'm on the lookout for a second-gen Tuono and was looking to get the best I can for a budget of 4K maximum ideally as I also am saving for a house.. What brought me to the tuono was that I had an Sv650 after passing my test at 17 (23 now) and loved it but after three and a half years wanted something different and a bit bigger to suit my 6ft2'' size. I've currently got a late 90's cbr600f and really dont gel with it at all, I've had this for two years but have zero confidence in riding it at all really. So I came to the conclusion that I prefer twins and as the next bike I get will have to be a keeper and something a bit special I thought about a second gen tuono as I want a twin, something not lacking in power, and within the last 10 years or so as it makes life easier for breakdown cover when I go on the annual bike trip to France.

I set about going to find one local and came across this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-T...53.m1438.l2649

Ive been today to have a test ride and by gosh, what a fantastic ride, the bike felt excellent and I must admit it restored my happiness in riding again and i felt comfortable in all ways, it actually fits me for one, and felt happy in the corners. Obviously it wasn't lacking in power either but since its been lightly snowing and very cold I didn't push it to find out. My question though is would I be paying top dollar for this? It's a Ltd edition and has FSH but would I get better value elsewhere? I must admit the colours grew on me upon riding it and seeing it in the flesh but I did notice theres a few bits of paint discolouring on the crank case and a few rusty bolts (I'm aware it is 10 years old) which isnt really a problem. But like I say its got to be the best I can get as I wont be changing again for a long while, If I was to purchase this I would be replacing the cans, and maybe a few other mods like altering the gearing slightly as its heavy going at slow speed but I was very impressed and dead set on getting the Tuono now. Basically i'd end up spending a bit on it so would I be better getting one private for a slightly better price with the additions already made?

My perfect bike would be this but where do you draw the line in regards to money..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-59-A...53.m1438.l2649

Thankyou for any responses and advice!

Jack
flatlander View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 20:11
Hi jack
There's a lot you can do with an Aprilis in terms of customizing So you'll always have good options and there are plenty of bargains around. You are almost certainly in the best place to ask.
Lots of trick bits can be had for a very reasonable price check out the for sale sections on here to see what they've been going for.
I ride a falcó so wouldn't be fair giving you too much of an opinion on the bike but I don't really know anyone who hasn't been happy with an aprilia
"Si me dices ven lo dejo todo ... pero dime ven"
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 21:19
Hello Jack.
You certainly won't regret joining the Ape family if you get a gen 2 T...they're a great bike, capable of doing whatever you can throw at it...touring, fast road riding, trackdays (and keeping litre Superbikes honest 😉)...
That doesn't look a bad bike, very original and low mileage but it's not a Ltd edition, it's just a standard Tuono 1000R and that blue scheme is just the colour scheme for that year.

If you could find a Factory version for a bit more then that would be the one to go for as they've got all the bells and whistles as standard (lightweight forged wheels, Ohlins forks and shock,loads of carbon) but if you can't find a good Factory for the cash you've got then a standard Tuono will give you just as much fun and you can upgrade it yourself bit by bit as funds allow. 😎🖒
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 21:24
The black one looks a better deal to me as well buddy, it should have had the upgraded stator by that year which will save you an arm and a leg and it's got a lovely set of Akras (they're going for about £500 on eBay lately)...and it's lower mileage, newer, better colour (everybody knows black ones are faster😉)...so for an extra £500 You are getting a lot more bike, although be wary of that dealer, I've heard a lot of different things aboyt them and it appears the quality of their stock can be very hit and miss.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 21:33
Thankyou both for your comments! Its nice to feel welcomed and I'm certain I will be joining properly soon I hope! I'm sure I wont be dissapointed and I agree the black one really does look the part! and the cans certainly are appealing, I must say Paddedcell I've come across your bike and recognise it from PB's article the other month and was the turning point in making me decide this is what I want, it looks stunning! That was the other thing regarding the black one I was concerned about, I think I will go and have a look at it for comparison and see how clean it really is as I've also heard a few bad things about them but worth a trip as I'm only half an hour from them
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 21:53
Thanks for the thumbs up for my T Jack😀...its good to know that it's inspiring other people to empty their wallets as well as me ...
They're great bikes, best bike I've owned by far and as long as you get the best one you can afford and look after it, you'll have a great experience.
They've got their foibles, just like every other bike,but nothing that's not taken care of by a careful owner that maintains it properly and this forum is as helpful a bunch of guys as you will ever find, so any info you need you've only got to ask.

I'll see if i can dig out the engine numbers that the bikes with the upgraded stator/flywheel start from. It's not essential to go for one that's had it done but it would be a thing I'd be taking into consideration as if you get one with the older stator/flywheel combo and it goes kaput, it's a big chunk of change to get it sorted properly.
Deffo, if you are close to the black one then check it out , you can get good bikes from them, as long as you give it a thorough going over and you're happy with it then it should be fine😎🖒
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 21:59
I think you want an engine number after 8176929
🖒
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 22:15
Its a beauty mate I must say, and definitely inspiring! Its good to hear, my dad warned me with the italian bikes reputation etc but to be honest the engine in these seem to be very reliable if anything its the stator etc that can be problematic, but I'm not too worried really, my CBR that should be as reliable as anything lost me a  years riding with electrical problems so I'm not too worried! And of course in relation to buying the best I can afford I definitely will do that, if it saves money in the long run it will be worth it! And thankyou for the engine number info its definitely handy to know! thanks for all the advice so far its really nice to have people point you in the right direction!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2018 at 22:46
... it's no worries at all Jack, anything you need to know just ask and good luck with your bike hunt😎🖒.
Keep us all updated with any developments and fingers crossed you'll soon be Ape mounted 🦍😀.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 01:22
Hi Jack and welcome to the Ape house!

You've been given some sound advice there by paddedcell if you can stretch to a factory its worth the extra or you WILL end up buying up carbon and ohlins and and and.....
If you get one private you are more likely to find a better cared for bike with all the usual important stuff already done. The stator can cause issues on the earlier gen2s im currently fixing mine.

Good luck on the hunt might be worth sticking a wanted add up.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 02:01
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273061145090

Right on budget. Good colour scheme but totally stock might be worth a look not sure how far away it is from you but must be one of the last Gen2 bikes.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 04:47
welcome jack to a great site with a great bunch of blokes who will always point you in the right direction if you are willing to spend the money on the black T i would hold on a bit for a factory to turn up 
happy hunting
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 08:06
Or think about a Gen1 'R'. All the Ohlins, OZ wheels and carbon and still a good few genuine low mileage bikes out there well within your budget - no stator issues either. Probably better for your height as well
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 08:22
Originally posted by Mills94 Mills94 wrote:

Hi, I'm Jack

That brought back chilling memories. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22DUclUZiX4 Exclamation
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 11:41
Hi Jack. welcome along, I have a Mille, so I don't know about the Tuono, I can't even find a factory for sale. But I found this for you, low mileage and looks well taken care of,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheApriliaFactory/permalink/1965551083761674/
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 14:34
Originally posted by Paddedcell100 Paddedcell100 wrote:

That doesn't look a bad bike, very original and low mileage but it's not a Ltd edition, it's just a standard Tuono 1000R and that blue scheme is just the colour scheme for that year.

If you could find a Factory version for a bit more then that would be the one to go for as they've got all the bells and whistles as standard (lightweight forged wheels, Ohlins forks and shock,loads of carbon) but if you can't find a good Factory for the cash you've got then a standard Tuono will give you just as much fun and you can upgrade it yourself bit by bit as funds allow. 😎🖒

^^^^ Sound advice from one who knows.

Welcome to the forum Jack Thumbs Up

As Paddedcell says, get the higher spec Factory if you can. It's not a snobby thing. There's loads of us who went for the lower spec bikes. There's nothing wrong with them at all (don't get me wrong here) and comparatively, you might not feel that much difference on the road, apart from the lightweight forged wheels. So no biggie.
But -and it's a big but... If you fall in love with the bike, you may well start wanting to do a few mods. That bug can really bite. It is far far easier -and a lot cheaper, to buy the higher spec Factory in the first place, than it is to mod the base model to Factory spec.
Getting it right first time, will save you £££ -and the regret of not having what you could've had in the long run. If those things aren't going to bother you (as I thought 9 years and many £££'s ago Embarrassed ), then carry on. You will have every bit as much fun on the base model. If you like Adam's bike (and who wouldn't, it's stunning) though, plus many on here -and read Performance bikes full of trick modded readers rides... Wink
Good luck with your quest.

Question everything.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 14:59
Another one just put up on ebay, it won't have the uprated stator unfortunately but aside from that it looks like a well looked after bike.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/225477674861/permalink/10155631788984862/

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 15:05
It's not an Ape but good value £4500, full service history, 150 hp with some extras 9000 miles.
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 00:21
Hi everyone! Sorry for the late replies to you all, I had a notification with each comment last night and have checked my emails today with no notifications so assumed it had gone quiet! Thankyou for the links posted, one of them on the aprilia forum I’ve joined and awaiting acceptance, the other one looks really nice in grey too (the one for £4200) and I have noticed the one on eBay op but is an hour and half away so for the moment whilst there’s a few local I’m keeping options open. That Ktm does look lovely but I must admit I’m sold on the tuono after the test ride!

Also... after picking my license and insurance number up that I left at the dealers yesterday... I headed over to the superbike factory to view the second one, I must say I couldn’t spot a rusty bolt or anything to note, there was the tiniest of marks on the rear fairing but that is being picky and 95% wouldn’t see it. 8K miles, one owner and had 3 services which they class as full service history if that’s right? It’s top money at £4.8K but it’s a 59 reg one owner bike, but is it worth it? I don’t want to jump the gun and dive in but also I don’t want to miss out on something like that! It has carbon swingarm protectors, carbon front mudguard, R&G crash bungs and the twin Akras, is it worth the cash?

And without sounding ignorant and just looking for reassurance! Thankyou for such the warm welcome, I will be a APE owner wether it be this one or another haha
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 00:24
Also, regarding the factory, I would like the lightweight wheels if I could find one for the right price but I’m alreadu going over my budget to stretch to the higher end of £4K am I right I’m thinking the factory wouldn’t have pillion pegs? I can’t see them being used but it’s always nice to have the option of taking the ball and chain with you!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 01:28
Hello Jack.
I've had another look and it does look very clean, I'd say for that mileage , that year (with the uprated stator), with those extras (which are worth about £900) and from a dealer, it's a decent price.
There are certainly a lot about in dealers, with less goodies included , for more money so I'd say that if it's one you are happy with after viewing it, it's certainly worth it and you are right, you could keep.waiting and not find another to match all those plus points and im assuming you'd rather buy from a dealer ?

All in all buddy, I think it looks a good bike for a decent price with some nice desirable extras...
I was going to say that sometimes carbon swingarm protectors can flash up.a bit of suspicion as if these bikes fall over the pegs can get knocked back into the swingarm.and dent it but the covers on this bike dont look like they extend behind the pegs, so wouldnt cover any damage there if there was any so happy days.
Will they give you a test ride on the actual bike ? I know some do and some dont and it would be great if you could get out on it for half hour, but therell be a warranty period on it anyway so it's not as essential if buying from a dealer so Yeah, I think it looks a very nice bike and would be one I'd be considering if I was after one again😎🖒.

The Factory versions do come with pillion pegs as standard, but you'll find most people who have Tuono's whip them off as soon as the exhausts go on and fit a set of aftermarket hangers as well.

Well im glad you've found one that you like buddy and it looks a cracker so keep us all updated on how it all goes😎👌
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 09:05
Thanks mate I was hoping for some re assurance! And to be told I’m not making a mistake haha, I know all dealers are going to have to cover costs and they won’t be as cheap as private so I have to take that into consideration but it also has the headlight covers which I was pleased about as the one I did test ride looked like the headlights had suffered from sun damage?

But, I would be equally as happy buying private as I always have done as you can ‘vet’ the owner too and see how much attention they pay to servicing etc, the only thing with that one is that it’s such low mileage it should be a safer bet.

I probably could swindle a test ride but like you say if It’s from a dealer there will be some kind of warranty and i’d rather not deal with some of them in there, the fella I dealt with yesterday was actually very good but I must say the rest of them didn’t seem interested and were very ignorant. On the way home I thought it’s a shame that bike wasn’t at the other dealer as I’d have no worries buying it but hey ho! I have had a message back off of the tuono forum? It seems very quiet on there but there’s a blue and white bike that maybe for sale with the Akras, maxton shock, one owner and 10k miles that I’m going to ask for a few pictures just while I’ve got the day to look around before I nip to the bank tomorrow, that’s up for £4.5K. In all honesty I think the black one is my preference in colour and now I’ve seen it that will be the one to go for, I should probably ring up and put a deposit down

Thanks for all your help Paddedcell I will definitely keep you updated and thanks for being so patient and helpful!

Jack
Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 09:06
Not forgetting.. thanks for the info about the factory and the pegs! Handy to know
felix View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 09:52
I would still check the engine number.... just in case it was registered later....

Mills94 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mills94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 10:15
Thanks felix will try and do that, very good point
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:23
You should be ok, the Diablo black colour scheme is an 08 model (mine is an 08 model that was registered in 2011) but Yeah, just check the engine number and see how it stacks up to that number I posted with regards the stator upgrade.
😎🖒
felix View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 11:46
Think it was available from 2006..... My 07 is a diablo black... alas with the "old" stator....

Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:38
They did 2 slightly different black schemes though didn't they,the older one has a bit more grey on the tank and has blue wheels, what colour wheels has yours got Felix?
felix View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:46
Mine has blue.... Stu's had black.... unless they had been painted ??
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2018 at 12:54
Yeah, the older black bikes had blue wheels , the newer ones had black.
Im sure the later ones were 08 bikes, they came out with the white colourscheme bikes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic