rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2005 RSVR not starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2005 RSVR not starting
    Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 14:57
Looking for advice on stuff to check on my bike please.

Put fresh fuel in today (5l) after draining the tank for the winter and the bike won't fire. It's turning over OK but just not catching. After turning it over for a while I'm getting the EFI light on the dash. I can hear the pump priming when turning ignition on.

I've spoken to Griff and ruled out a few of the changes I've made to the bike as possible causes as well as a burst return fuel pipe. I have bypassed the side stand switch (no light on the dash). I also changed the starter solenoid for the 150a version but the bike started OK after changing this. I'll need to replace the burst fuel pipe obviously but this shouldn't be causing the non starting issue.

Haven't done anything else to the bike which could have caused the issue. I'm thinking checking the tea bag strainer in the tank might be a good place to start?

Battery has been on optimate all winter so don't think that's the issue although my clocks did reset (red line and time) earlier when trying to get it started.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 16:50
If you have spark and fuel it should run. Pop a plug out and check for spark and fix the return pipe.

Very easy to flood rsv's if they don't catch fairly quickly.
mitchgixer6 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 17:37
Thanks mate. Best way to to check the spark? I'm new to all this tbh! I did take the cap off the rear plug today and have a go at getting it off, but it was fooking tight and didn't want to force it.

Checked battery voltage today its dropping to about 10v whilst cranking.

Any way to tell if it could be flooded?

Many thanks
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 17:38
Oh and I sorted the return pipe. It was cut right at the connector on the tank so I just cut the bad bit off. Seems to be enough length left without it being overly tight.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 17:45
And just one more thing *said with a Columbo impression*

Best way to check its getting fuel?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 17:52
If you can get a plug out, rest it against the cylinder head and turn it over and see if it sparks. If you can't get it out, use a spare plug if you have one.

Hard to tell if there is fuel in the cylinders but if the plugs are wet after cranking it's a good sign. Or look down the Tb's as the pump primes and you should see a small mist of fuel come out of the injectors.

If you think it might be flooded, go for the full throttle, no fast idle method whilst cranking. Just don't labour it on the starter to save the sprag.

Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 18:12
Just to clarify this is a Gen 2. Can they still get flooded? I've heard of that method of full throttle but inly for the Gen 1 bikes.

Thanks mate
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 18:21
OK just took the ht lead off the rear cylinder and tried with a spare (brand new) plug. No spark evident.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 18:30
Did u earth the plug body to the engine casing ?
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 21:45
I did yes. Tried 2 different plugs and neither sparking.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 09:09
If it's the same on both cylinders, then either the ecu is not getting a pulse from the crank sensor or the ecu has gone bad. It's unlikely the coils would fail for both cylinders.

I would check connectors for pushed back/corroded pins etc around the ecu and the crank sensor.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 09:31
Also, 10V while cranking is low so maybe need a new battery or as at least a good charge on yours.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 14:43
Thanks everyone for the help. Managed to get the Nike running this morning more by luck than anything else. I think it was possibly a dirty connector. I had been rooting about near the side stand switch to bypass it. The only other thing that's down there is the pick up off the alternator. So this morning I checked that just to make sure I hadn't disturbed anything. Disconnected it to have a look and it did look slightly mucky/white corrosion. So plugged it back in and the bike back fired a few times and was nearly starting. Disconnected again and squirted some contact cleaner on there and it fired right up! Must have been that cause I've not done anything else. Lucky I think! 😋

I did find another thread from somewhere stating that the pick up sensor there would shut off fuel and spark so seemed like a good place to try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic