rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stator replace or rewind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stator replace or rewind
    Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 20:38
Pulled out the stator today after it failed miserably on the tests from griffs vid on the charging system.

The Aprila parts are out of the question. Been recommended west country windings. As anyone replaced with an aftermarket stator thats lasted well?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 20:48
Depends why it failed. If it’s bad flywheel magnets it will fail again quite quickly. If your not going the 380w kit route I would deffo not go overboard on the replacement price wise just in case of a repeat.

Ww windings is as good as any. Don’t touch electrex, very poor quality and backup.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 21:15
It didn't actually fail as such i was getting very low readings on the dash and on a meter from the battery so it was a matter of when rather than if I think. Theres no heat damage to the dreaded brown connectors and the bike was running without any problems but by the look of it i think it needs sorting! The bikes done around 17k on a 55plt so im thinking its just run its course 12 years isn't bad.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 21:58
Ap used wc windings until they went the 380w route and as far as I know they were ok.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 22:04
Cheers spoonz its 135 quid so worth a punt just wondered if there was a decent new option. Ill do some more digging for info before i.bir.the.bullet got more parts needed so i ger it all in one hit.
albrown001 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 01:12
I know it’s a bit late for this post but my stator just burnt out. My one is the faulty flywheel. I had it rewound with thicker wire and less turns and I have a compufire. It lasted 8 years but its now gone again. Only sure mod if you have a faulty flywheel is just bite the bullet and get the new corrected flywheel and stator. That’s what I’ve just done.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 15:44
Originally posted by albrown001 albrown001 wrote:

I know it’s a bit late for this post but my stator just burnt out. My one is the faulty flywheel. I had it rewound with thicker wire and less turns and I have a compufire. It lasted 8 years but its now gone again. Only sure mod if you have a faulty flywheel is just bite the bullet and get the new corrected flywheel and stator. That’s what I’ve just done.

Hi mate and thanks for the input. Im i right in thinking that the stator lasted 8 years After a re wind? If so id be more than happy with half that amount of time for the cost. I cant afford the oem option so I'll be getting a new one ( RM STATOR ) for 95 quid and hope for the best.
Is there a way to test the reg/rect independently?
adeyren View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeyren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 17:51
Had two alternators go on my Blackbird (common problem). Both were Electrosport who took over Electrx hence they are chinese made now. Crap. Had my original Honda one rewound by West Country Windings. So far so good. £127 including return posatage, 5 day turnaround. All three wires soldered together and the other wires wired straight to the battery and not the loom. Just upgraded the rec to the latest Mosfet SH847 from Roadstercycle.com. http://roadstercycle.com/. Quality piece of kit. 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 20:06
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Hi mate and thanks for the input. Im i right in thinking that the stator lasted 8 years After a re wind? If so id be more than happy with half that amount of time for the cost. I cant afford the oem option so I'll be getting a new one ( RM STATOR ) for 95 quid and hope for the best.

Alright buddy Thumbs Up Yes it wasn't just a simple rewind though. I used thicker wire and I had to work out (all things being equal) the amount of less turns to put on so it only made around 370-400w. But it still burnt out. I also had a Compufire fitted. Which by its design/operation lets the stator run much cooler. The Compufire connects directly to the battery and misses out all the bike wiring. If I hadn't had done all those mods to go with it I don't think it would have have lasted more than a couple of years. If that. 

If you aren't going to do other mods along with your re-winde it will just burn out again from my experience. Its just not worth the effort and the extra heat it causes, even if its not burnt out its still not good for your engine oil and engine because of the extra heat a faulty flywheel/stator produces. Better off just getting it fixed properly. I don't know how long the warranty on the new stator/flywheel is but it will be longer than what you will get on a rewinde. 

Hope that helps
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 20:19
Why the he'll cant manufacturers just fit alternators and be done with this sh*t, my gpz1000rx has one for gods sake and that's 1987 never mind the 900r.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 09:41

Alright buddy Thumbs Up Yes it wasn't just a simple rewind though. I used thicker wire and I had to work out (all things being equal) the amount of less turns to put on so it only made around 370-400w. But it still burnt out. I also had a Compufire fitted. Which by its design/operation lets the stator run much cooler. The Compufire connects directly to the battery and misses out all the bike wiring. If I hadn't had done all those mods to go with it I don't think it would have have lasted more than a couple of years. If that. 

If you aren't going to do other mods along with your re-winde it will just burn out again from my experience. Its just not worth the effort and the extra heat it causes, even if its not burnt out its still not good for your engine oil and engine because of the extra heat a faulty flywheel/stator produces. Better off just getting it fixed properly. I don't know how long the warranty on the new stator/flywheel is but it will be longer than what you will get on a rewinde. 

Hope that helps

Cheers Andrew. This is the thing, i don't know if it is faulty could just be age/wear and tear these bikes are cracking on now and its a huge amount of cash half what i paid for the bike so for now I'll go for a rewind and see how it goes.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 09:42
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Why the he'll cant manufacturers just fit alternators and be done with this sh*t, my gpz1000rx has one for gods sake and that's 1987 never mind the 900r.

AGREED!!!!!!
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 23:13
To be fair my old stator was still charging. I just had a slight leak to earth that was screwing up the bike from running correctly.

In regards to Aprilia knowing about the fault which was too stronger magnets on the flywheel. They did know about it by the 6 month point. They just didn’t tell anyone and Denzo who made the faulty flywheel were supplying Aprilia them for free. Aprilia were making money out of them. Since the gen2 wasn’t made for that long there wasn’t a recall.

Any road, it’s Italian. If you want reliability we’d all be on BMWs 😁

I love my Mille ✊ It’s really good looking but hard to get on with... 🙂
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 23:28
Denso supplied the same stator and flywheel to Honda who had the same problem on the 954 blade. They didn’t do a great deal more for owners, just extended the warranty for the stator for an extra year beyond the general warranty of the bike.

From the tests people did the main problem is inconsistent flywheel magnetic field that pulses the stator. If it were purely magnetic strength, they would all fail at similar usage but some are still on the original stator 14 years later. The margin for error was too small to allow for discrepancies or changes. The new flywheel uses identical technology in terms of magnet type, It just has a lower field to reduce output and give a bigger margin before failure.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 23:53

Gen 2's cure by fire.....

Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albrown001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:21
That’s what my bike looks like on ‘full bore’ 😉 👍

🏍 Rooaaarrrr
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:32
Just got the STATOR back this morning but teesdale parts are pissing me about still waiting on gaskets and a few other bits so i can actually get on with it. Tapmyhead has given me some good info regarding a cooling mod not sure if im going to go down that route yet.

When re fitting the rubber grommet into the casing the parts list note a specific sealant which ive never heard of. Is this necessary or will a blob of hymolar blue do as thats the only sealant ive got in the garsge?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:43

Just got the STATOR back this morning but teesdale parts are pissing me about still waiting on gaskets and a few other bits so i can actually get on with it. Tapmyhead has given me some good info regarding a cooling mod not sure if im going to go down that route yet.

When re fitting the rubber grommet into the casing the parts list note a specific sealant which ive never heard of. Is this necessary or will a blob of hymolar blue do as thats the only sealant ive got in the garsge?

I take it you mean the grommet for the stator wires ? That sealant is there just to seal things up as the grommets can weep but it's worth smearing some where the wires pass through and where the insulation stops on the stator wires itself. Oil sometimes tracks up the inside and outside of the insulation and contaminates the wires.

I'm guessing the sealant they spec is resistant to higher temps and oil etc etc but I would use something like 3 bond if you have some. Ducati's have almost completely done away with gaskets apart from the cylinders and use 3 bond instead so it's good stuff.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 10:55
Yes spoonz thats what i ment thanks i don't have any but will get some ordered while I'm waiting on the gasket.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 21:00
All bolted up time will tell if it holds out but getting healthy readings on the maiden ride heading out for a longer ride tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice Thumbs Up
Dangerous View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangerous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 13:19
Hi Badapple, I'm late to this one, but as I've posted/replied elsewhere, mine has failed again. Can you confirm what rework you've done please, as you've probably followed the latest & best advice on this problem. My options are: re-wind again or new pattern stator or GULP an OEM part. My reg/rectifier checks out OK but maybe I go for a MOSFET type for cooler running. Also, when I first had to fix this I wasn't aware of the rotor magnetism issue - after all, the original parts lasted 8 to 10 years - but maybe I should do this too. Where do you get a "fixed" one from? Hope yours stays reliable since fixing it.
Dangerous View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangerous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 13:26
Hi Spoonz, I've been posting onto threads about the Generator issue today, but maybe I should be asking you if there is a long term fix. My options seem to be a) rewind again, to 380W spec b) buy a new pattern part (beware Electrex, or whoever they are now) c) dig very, very deep and buy OEM (aaaarghhh!!!). Then replace the rotor, but which one, from where. And finally fit a MOSFET reg/rectifier. Happy to hear what others have found as a proper and reliable solution. Thanks Smile
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 13:44
The 380w option is the only belt and braces fix. That requires an updated flywheel which has a lower magnetic field to do it properly as just reducing the windings alone won't bring it down to 380w. It might be a compromise option to reduce the heat in the windings a bit.

Having said that all rewinds are not equal, so repeat failures might partly be down to the quality of the rewind. For me the reg/rec upgrades alone won't fix the stator issues, maybe just prolong the inevitable a bit.

Ultimately if the failure frequency of your stator is fairly high despite good quality rewinds, then you will soon have spent as much as the 380w kit is anyway so save yourself the grief. Or find someone who is breaking a post 07 motor and buy their used parts as they came from the factory with a 380w stator/flywheel

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:12
Hi Dave. I used wesr country windings at a cost of 120 quid i think. Im getting good charge now so i didn't replace the regulator rectifier and all the brown connectors were in good order so again i left them as is. Dont fix what isn't broken in my opinion . I really cant comment on the durability as i don't do big miles the bike is just a toy so as long as it holds out for a year or so I'll be happy.  As spoonz has said the only " fix" is to swap the whole lot for the later version but i couldn't find a suitable second hand unit and just couldn't afford new.

Good luck its a total pain in the arse. Not just apes my uncle's triumph suffers the same problems. 
Dangerous View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangerous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:28
Hi Badapple, thanks for the info. I don't want to spoil your happy moment but my rewind (in 2016) was by West Country Windings. It fails the multimeter tests, but I've not looked inside the casing yet. Don't know if it was to 500W or 380W spec. Spoonz has just replied and mentioned a 380W Kit; who supplies this, is it the later parts, from Aprilia? I wonder if anyone has ran this for more that 2 years...
Do you get the "sorted" rotor from Aprilia, or can you get good ones from somewhere else? Looks like the bank account needs to be ready for another hit Ouch
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 14:44
When i contacted WCW they wouldn't guarantee the re wind as some fail quickly others last ages. What kind of mileage have you done since out of curiosity?

Its on here for just under 600 quid pretty sure thats the one part number  8.
Dangerous View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dangerous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 15:09
Not that many miles, barely rode it last year (too many of life's complications got in the way...). Pain in the butt, but magically that all gets forgotten on the next ride Big smile Now off to a festival to get toasted for the weekend, Happy days and thanks for the help Star
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 15:58
No worries glad to help. Enjoy the festival 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic