Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Polishing Ti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Polishing Ti
    Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 20:39
Ackras x2 to be exact.
Got very fine scratches on them.
Nothing serious, tried polishing out with autosolvol & fine wire wool.
Looks a little better, but not 100%
Ideas guys please?
My approach to sorting it has been a bit hit & miss....so now time to get fu*king serious.
What do you recon? Cheers.

spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 21:30
Try scotch pads/finishing pads instead of the wool with the autosol,failing that try abit of wet n dry paper then finish with the pads,just be careful not to put a hole where you don't want 1
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 21:40
I use scotchbrite pads, does a great job but I like a more satin finish so I don't use any media, just go in the same direction (fnaar)
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 21:49
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I use scotchbrite pads, does a great job but I like a more satin finish so I don't use any media, just go in the same direction (fnaar)

hahaaa...yeah, I'm ok with the satin finish...looks cool imho
only problem is, at the end of each stroke (see what I did there? LOL) the riveted trim strap prevents a clean edge right up to the end of the can. There's that little gap that can't be reached unless you go 'around' the can? 
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 22:34
Rub it both ways gently😏
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 14:34
quick query re Akras, do they come apart easily ? I have some slight damage at the base from a low speed off so is it feasible to drill the rivets out and turn the lower section 180 degrees thereby hiding the damage at the back. I'm thinking this course of action would work IF the perforated inner tube isn't welded to or attached in some way to the lower section.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 18:51
budd...They come apart easily enough, but you can't just flip the sleeve 180 degrees....sorry.
There is a weld joint along the whole length on the other side....this will be facing out if you flip it.
If you decide to open them, make sure you have a decent rivet gun to hand, the stainless rivets are an absolute barsteward to pull through without one... 
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 20:36
Thanks yeah I've seen the welded seam, but the damage is mainly to the stainless steel band and a little on the lower part with the spring hooks  so I think I could get it looking way better by turning the ss band and the lower piece 180 and leaving the sleeve as is. Rather than hijacking this thread (sorry) I'll post a pic up it's always easier with a pic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic