rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The hunt is over, Ironbite.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The hunt is over, Ironbite.
    Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 05:52
Hi lads, after nearly three years hunting for a Homer Ironbite airbox ring, I finally found one in Newzeland virtually brand new.
It's in transit as we speak. I never thought I would ever find one, let alone one that's done less than 100km. Next thing will be an Ignijet, it never stops 😂
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:37
What is that then? 😂
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:55

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:57
Hi John, Big Big Bore 1127 kit. In for penny in for pound
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:58
Originally posted by Tifa Tifa wrote:

Very apt 😂
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:51
Grrrrr Bloody Heathen ...My home country is spelt New Zealand !!, just for that I'm gonna make you eat marmite for a month Censored
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 13:03
Your home country is spelt Aotearoa, at least that's how the natives spell it Smile.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 13:09
Afternoon Richard. I know paddedcell has one and favours it what's difference between the AP one and the iron bite?
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 13:10
Haha Scott I like Marmite, I got a Yoyodyne slipper clutch from there and my favourite rider comes from there, Croz.
I think I will pack a suitcase and go over there they got some good spares for the V2s.
Also where they made on of most special bikes ever, the Britten.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 13:59
Hi Adam, believe that the Ironbite has a better seal than the EVO. They normally put grease on the EVO to seal it to the tank, but if you imagine the air going through the snorkel at 100mph plus and the air pressure inside the airbox, I believe there no way the grease is going to keep the seal to the tank.
So you lose the advantage of the air being forced into the airbox. At the moment I have a Smalmoto airbox ring that I rebuilt with different door rubber, also built brackets to restrain the airfiter properly to stop any lift at high speed.
I also run the crankcase breather outside the airbox through a small filter via a Pcv valve to reduce crankcase pressure.
That valve is going to be crucial with such a big Bore as the displacement of the bores is going to get larger and the volume in the crankcase will be the same which will increase the crankcase pressure.
https://goo.gl/images/N4SU5A

Another reason for taking the crankcase breather from the airbox is so no hot air doesn't get into the engine as cold air is more dense.
Also as Kiwi Shane pointed out the forced air is also going to pressurise the crankcase even more. Most race engines vent into a catch tank not the airbox.
I hope that makes some sense,Rich.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 14:05
simonb View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 14:15
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

I think I will pack a suitcase and go over there they got some good spares for the V2s.

Do tell where from as i am going over at the beginning of march and could always take a spare case.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 14:26
Hi Simon, you won't get an Ironbite, they made them for years and are rare as rocking horse sh*t. But you can buy a Smalmoto one build your own airfiter restraint like I have done, just use Nyloc nuts and loctite so nothing can come lose and go in the engine.
I cut the crankcase filter housing out to get better airflow around the velocity stacks.
And just run a small crankcase breather filter outside with a Pcv valve.
I will post some pictures later.
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 14:41

That's the IronBite, same function as the Evo or Smaltmoto but just a really well made bit of kit.
I had to swap the seal on mine because as standard it's a strip of semi circular foam and it wasn't sealing properly as it was a bit worn, I swapped it for a proper rubber seal and also packed that out by inserting a strip of brake bleeding hose inside it.
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 19:29
Cheers for the info fellas. Bit of a can of worms all these airbox options I've got an evo but not fitted it yet but compared to the iron bite ( or even a diy jobbie) it doesn't look like it will seal especially as you say the force of the air coming in isnt exactly a light breeze.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 19:33
Also when it comes to the catch tank ive often thought that there's got to be a more effective way to do it. If i remember correctly the late and great Peter Harris made his own very trick catch tank under the rear sub frame .
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 22:17
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Cheers for the info fellas. Bit of a can of worms all these airbox options I've got an evo but not fitted it yet but compared to the iron bite ( or even a diy jobbie) it doesn't look like it will seal especially as you say the force of the air coming in isnt exactly a light breeze.

Jolly was doing deals on his airbox's Ad , not sure if that's still the case .

I think the Evo kits seal ok don't they, with a good bit of grease round it.
I still give mine a good coating of red grease, just makes sure of a good seal and makes it easier to lift the tank up without buggering the rubber up (and gives you a good indication of whether it's sealing all around the inside of the tank by where the grease line is).
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 06:30

Also when it comes to the catch tank ive often thought that there's got to be a more effective way to do it. If i remember correctly the late and great Peter Harris made his own very trick catch tank under the rear sub frame .

I used to run mine down to the front sprocket to act as a chain oiler. Some people are against this though as they believe unfiltered air is sucked into the engine.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by FTM FTM wrote:

I used to run mine down to the front sprocket to act as a chain oiler. Some people are against this though as they believe unfiltered air is sucked into the engine.
pros and cons to most things i suppose. What set up do you use now mate?
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 08:06
Originally posted by Paddedcell100 Paddedcell100 wrote:

Jolly was doing deals on his airbox's Ad , not sure if that's still the case .

I think the Evo kits seal ok don't they, with a good bit of grease round it.
I still give mine a good coating of red grease, just makes sure of a good seal and makes it easier to lift the tank up without buggering the rubber up (and gives you a good indication of whether it's sealing all around the inside of the tank by where the grease line is).

I still want one of jollys tbh mate but like i said to you money is very tight right now. My plans of cracking on with the bike have been put on hold yet again as my daughter is ill so she's with me again today.

Im sure the evo i have will work,AP wouldn't sell tbem otherwise,but it just doesn't seem to be the best option. Dunno might just stick to the oem for now......if i ever get out in the bloody garage!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic