rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gen 1 54mm throttle bodies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gen 1 54mm throttle bodies
    Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 19:47
Hi

54s use to be a commonish mod on Gen1’s, well I’ve managed to get hold of a set with the billet stacks to suit. I’ve read on forums they are not far off the same performance wise as 57’s on the RP milles. How true... hope you’s can answer....

Just fitted them, took a bit of fettling to get it to idle right, but got there...

Instantly I have felt a massive difference, a lot more sharp, mid range hits like a hammer.. haven’t opened her up properly yet so I don’t know how she pulls to the line...

What I want to know has anyone else fitted these and had great results, and Dyno information.

Thanks
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 20:18

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 20:33
Quote Originally Posted by ken zeller View Post
we did do all of the dyno testing years ago (we had pages & pages of information) but since that was 6-7 years ago i have no idea where the info is at this point. i do remember that the 54mm throttle bodies on a basically stock engine added 2-3 h.p. from 6k rpm up. you will also notice crisper throttle response. our eprom just helped to tie it all together into a great running package.

the stock 51mm throttle bodies are definitely the restriction point after the exhaust. i remember one customer that was making about 130 rwhp with a modified engine but stock throttle bodies. we made a set of 54mm t/b for him and he instantly went to 139 rwhp. we then made a set of 57mm (this was back in 2001 when there were no thicker castings and had to epoxy the bore) and he picked up another 4-5 rwhp.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Si McMille View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 20:59
That some good reading Mark thanks a lot buddy...

It’s amazing how each bike tunes different.. last Dyno I had was 120 rwhp, that was with Evo airbox, stubby and stock EPROM and my collector.

I have the now:
Evo Air box with K&N
Unrestricted airbox boot
54 billet stacks
54 Tb’s
Evo Ti can
The collector mod I made
RSV MY 01’02’03 EPROM

I’m looking in getting a PC3 next month to tie everything in..

I have no idea how the 54’s will perform on mine (in nimbers wise), all I can say with my ass Dyno is that I feel a massive kick at 6k revs up wards..

What are the differences between the falco and Mille performance wise?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 21:46
Falco is a small valve Mille engine with slightly subdued fuelling not sure of actual power differences

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 21:48
Im guessing Ken Zeller is the famous kzmille from the forums? Very knowledgeable guy from what i've seen of his posts.

As mentioned before 54s can produce better results on stock motors than 57s but its all down to the machining and from these threads that Mark has posted there would appear to be a fair few sets around that aint quite properly finished. 

Be interesting to see what the dyno figures are once you get the bike back on it after the mods.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 22:01
Yea I had a good read through the posts.. a lot of ppl had idle issues...

So did I, But I had to fettle with the butterfly’s a bit and air bypass holes.

I have her idling pretty good at 1600 rpms, not lumpy at all at low revs, really smooth from the first twist...

I really keen to see my Dyno results again...
spiceweasel View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiceweasel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 13:24
My falco has stock engine with evo air box,k&N,big air boot,de restricted air intake tubes,57mm bodies off a tuono r,tuono stacks,gpr cans,custom chip to suit mods,pc3 with individual cylinder map set up on dyno & it gave 122rwhp with 76ftlb
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 14:38
Originally posted by deloco7 deloco7 wrote:

Im guessing Ken Zeller is the famous kzmille from the forums? ]
I've never put 2&2 together there Del as he used to post under his own name judging by his attitude sometimes I bet he is a cantankerous old fooker he's pissed me off a few times

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 14:42
Si, I would say there are better chips than the one you are running especially with enhanced ignition tables

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 16:13
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

Si, I would say there are better chips than the one you are running especially with enhanced ignition tables

Your right Mark, was going to look into the Gabro chip that he has for these tb’s. I’m more interested in the ignition tables. As I’m getting a PC3 next month I’m not so bothered about the fueling.

The one I have is good, it has made a vast difference, got it cheap..
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 17:20
I'm not 100% Mark about it being the same guy Mark - just a bit of a co-incidence with the KZ....

Si - The chip you get (whether from Gabro or Ed or anyone else) will deal with the fuelling and the ignition timing and do a better job (i.e. bang for buck) than a PC3. If you get a PC3 and get it mapped then for the EPROM to work correctly you will need to either disconnect the PC3 or run a Zero map.

The chip you're running is for a 2-1 system if its the MY 01/02/03 - only the one designated SBK is for the 2-2 system.

If you're getting a PC3 then its best to get it at the end and once all the other mods have been done. Otherwise you'll be back to the dyno again. if you're getting free dyno time then great but if you're paying for it then it makes more sense to do all the other mods and then map and PC3 last.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 17:35
Thanks Del

TBH I have no other mods in mind now for tuning wise..

Yea it’s the RSV MY 01/02/03 (says on the chip).

Just literally landed a cheap PC3.

All I can do now is go on the Dyno it’s only £30 where I go to see what the fueling is like, I really like the way it handle now it’s really smooth.
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 17:42
At 30 quid a pop for the dyno I'd be making good use of it myself. My last Dyno and map cost me £160 about 5 years ago and that was a deal since we travelled down and got 2 bikes done .

I just got one of those MY chips myself with a brand new Akra but its got the daughter board attached and I doubt if i'll ever use it. I'll keep it as part of the package tho - nice keepsake if nothing else.

Good luck with the dyno - hope the figures are to your liking Thumbs Up
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 18:06
Cheers..

I know £30 a run is mega cheap...

Yea mine has the daughter board aswell. What chip you running?
deloco7 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deloco7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 18:11
I have Gabros F27F and also an FR200 - Goth them in separate ECU's so I've tested them back to back by just swapping the ECU's.

I'd love to test both on the dyno and see what the difference is (if any) - they both felt very similar on the road.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 18:37
Was saying that to a chap the other week, be interesting to get a load of EPROMs and test them all back to back,

I noticed a vast difference going to the MY chip from stock, throttle seemed more sharp and seemed a lot more Rev happy.

Just been offered a quick shifter to go with my pc3... why do ppl do this to me....
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:06
Bought my PCIII, getting delivered this week, going to fit a generic map for now..

Need to save pennies for a custom map..

Just made myself some dual stacks out of my old 51’s, fashioned myself a bracket..

2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
54mm Evo stacks - dual velocity
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:57
How was the ride to work this morning ????

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 13:03
Weather was piss poor this morn, rds are drying up now, so might take it out for a blast later! 😜
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 14:15
I must have a well made set. Same billet stacks as yours, which means they're Evo.

Mine literally were unbolted from one bike and bolted onto mine. Started first push of the button. No lumpiness down low and a lovely smooth idle.

I had them then set up by AP and they made a big difference to response and how quickly it revved. Almost like a different bike. It's not about the outright power, but how it makes it and ride-ability. It was like a different bike though, much more urgent if that makes sense.

I sold my Edwards 57's and kept the 54's. Gabro is the man to talk to.
Question everything.
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 14:31
Mine is idling a lot better, sits at 1500 m, revs and drops nicely.., I’ve read some bad set ups on these..

But yea she pulls like a champ now, esp when you hit 5-6k she takes off then.. just constant power after. Throttle response is awesome!

Fitting these duals should help with stronger intake.
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si McMille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 09:56
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

How was the ride to work this morning ????

Went to work on the bike this morning... can Deffo feel a better throttle response, You can feel it’s stronger but smoother, seems more urgent... still feel a massive kick about 5k revs..

What I’ll do on the next Dyno is test them with and with out!
2001 RP Mille
15/42 gearing
54mm tb’s
Evo air box with K&N
Unrestricted intake boot
Custom Collector Mod
Evo Ti Exhaust
Aprilia EPROM
PC3
Tuono riser conversion
 Post Reply Post Reply