rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RSVR Gen2 non starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSVR Gen2 non starter
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 00:47
Hi, I bought a 2005 RSVR,bike had a starting problem so I fitted new battery pressed the starter button and it burst into life for about 5 seconds then cut out,and now you press the button their is nothing,Ive replaced the starter relay for a 150amp upgrade and also bridged the sidestand switch but still nothing.The tip over switch is positioned correctly and the fuses look ok,but I did discover that if you turn ignition on and short out starter relay the engine turns over,can anyone offer any advice.My number is 07956917054 if you want to txt any messages or want any pics sending, regards Del
sarge2711 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarge2711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 02:17
hi 
 check wiring coming from generator also there are 2 plugs which are prone to melting
on right side if i remember correctly 1 comes from generator the other from regulator
do search for corroded plugs on here and should be diagrams
Del2171 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 09:15
Thanks very much for your reply and advice will investigate further now
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 09:31
Is the fuel pump priming? There is a connection under the seat that can easily become lose if you have lifted the tank which connects the pump to the loom.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Twinpot View Drop Down
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 11:06
Condensation in the R/H bar switch can wreak havoc. Split the switch and clean the contacts, a little spray of WD40 will help.
Zax View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 18:59
Check that the overflow lines are not blocked from the tank if they are and it is stored outside you will possibly have a chunk of water in the tank , if the tank hasn’t been drained and check for crappy old fuel / water
Easy to do check and rule out
I struggled with crappy fuel once before .
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 09:59
If it turns over when you short the relay but doesn't without then it is clearly electrical. Either the new relay is duff (Is it a proper one - Get them from AP - or a cheapy from  China?)  or somewhere else in the starter circuit. Could be the bar switch as Twinpot says.

My first  check would be to remove the feed (Starter signal) wire to the starter solenoid and check it has a 12V supply to it when you press the starter button. If you have 12V then it suggests the relay is faulty. If you don't then you need to trace back from there.
Del2171 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del2171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 16:03
Ok well thanks to all of you for the technical advice will carry on with chasing the fault
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 16:15
Good luck, just do the fault finding in a disciplined way, eliminating one thing at a time based upon the symptoms you have. Don't jump from one thing to another.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic