rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Earth wire for front lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Earth wire for front lights
    Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 09:10
Just bought a Tuono gen2 and it's fantastic.
I have a wiring issue.
Having taken off the front end  and various other bits for cleaning over the winter the front lights and indicators won't come back on. All the other electrics work fine and interestingly the headlight beam works with the flash button but not with the main beam button.

Thought I put everything back together right but obviously not.
Plenty of power to each light.
Looking at the wiring diagram they are all earthed with the same Blue wire.

Questions:  Does this sound like an earth issue to you?  and where does this blue wire earth to?  
as I don't really want to trace it back through the loom.
Thanks
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 13:25
I've just re wired a HID bulb into the low beam on my Tuono Gen 1 and noticed the earths are all blue in colour too.
Sounds like an earth issue; the blue wires from your headlights and indicators will terminate at a junction and then a single wire usually goes to an earth point on the frame. 
To confirm an earth snag, get a length of wire, gain access to the bulb connector, push the wire so it contacts the earth terminal on the bulb then take the other end of the wire to earth i.e. any bare metal surface on the frame. Turn the light on and it should illuminate. Remove the wire end touching the frame and if it goes out it means your loom earth wiring is broken some where.
To trace the break should be fairly easy with a voltmeter set to continuity, then use the wiring diagram to check each earth wire in turn.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
watty View Drop Down
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 16:00
Thanks for the reply. Helps a lot.

If the earth goes into one wire would you know where it comea out and attachs to the frame?
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 16:30
'Fraid not, but I'd guess it's something you've disturbed.
Too much of a coincidence...happens to us all at one time or another.
Good luck fixing it.
btw, hasn't the Gen 2 got canbus? You may need help from a Gen 2 owner who's got some electrical experience.

People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 18:28
Remember gents, that the wiring schematics are available on THIS website if you’re a premium member.
Hope this helps 👍🏼
watty View Drop Down
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 17:53
Lighting update.
Replaced the side lights with new ones and they work-hurrah.
Tried the same with dip but no luck and replaced fuse.
Will keep trying.
I hate electrics
Johnboy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 09:30
Well done Watty! We’re both side light bulbs blown?
If they were, maybe they’ve seen 2 positive supplies rather than a positive and negative ?
Keep going though 👍🏼
watty View Drop Down
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 17:38
Making progress on the earth.
Seems the 6 blue earth wires from the front indicators and lights feed into a solid thick black wire in the wiring loom at the headatock.
Presmably it earths somewhere when it comes back out of the loom.
Next job is to find it.
watty View Drop Down
L plate
L plate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 17:03
Sorted the dip and indicator problem.
After much head scratching and testing, it transpires that the engine needs to be started for the dip and indicator lights to come on.
Feel and absolute dipstick.

Least it gave me bonding time in the garage over christmas. Lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic