rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mileage discrepancy - about to buy - help please!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mileage discrepancy - about to buy - help please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mileage discrepancy - about to buy - help please!
    Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 08:37
Hi all.
Some of you will know from my 'am I a numpty' thread that I have just put a deposit down on a black 03 Mille R. I did an HPI check and it came up with a mileage discrepancy. Looking at the MOT history in 2013 the mileage dropped considerably and then went up by 12000 the following year. It looks like a typo on the MOT history (should read 16337, not 6337), but obviously there's the concern that it had replacement clocks and then did big mileage the following year. This seems unlikely as for the rest of its life its only done a few thousand a year. See below. Any opinions? I'm reluctant to pay the balance now as I can't verify the mileage, and this question will come up if I sell the bike on. 

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 08:57

It's a 14 year old bike ! Buy on condition rather than numbers.
How many owners and the history file is more important than a mot figure written by an uninterested mot tester with short sight and stubby fingers !
(He could have mistyped the missing 1 , ie should read 16233 rather than 6233 for example)
Pictures please ? They can say a thousand words....
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 09:07
If the bike has any service history then look at a service closest to the mot time in question. If the mileage looks right on the service history then it's a typo on the mot.

Either way if the bike is worth what your paying condition wise, I wouldn't worry about it.
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 09:34
Good idea but there's not a service receipt around that time

Af1 I mentioned that in my original post about the potential missing '1'. I guess I was just worried about the value of the bike when it comes to selling if the buyer is as picky as me LOL

It's in lovely condition but needs graphics putting back on the belly pan (Image works) and proper indicators fitting. Not great pictures though:

grumpy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 09:34
Probably a typo on the history. Guy at work bought a Landy last week with 70k on the clock, checked teh mot history which said it had 602K two years ago!  He nearly choked on his coffee!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:21
I wouldn't worry about it. As said, it's 99% likely a typo and condition is the only thing that matters.

I would be more worried about it failing because someone removed the rear reflector! Oh, and it had a noisey exhaust at one point!  Evil SmileClown
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:21
I've had my current bike 8 or 9 years.

!6,000 miles now.

3 or 4 years ago, in my ownership obv, a mot tester made a mistake and put in 27,000 or so. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the mistake and as a few years have passed since, it's too late to do anything about it now I believe. It was picked up by Lewis at AP when they mot'd it.

I was royally pee'd off at the time. But I'm not going to sell the bike, so it doesn't matter really.

But now you've just reminded me.... and I'm p*ssed off all over again GRRRAAAAGHHH RICK SMASH, RICK DESTROY Angry

Question everything.
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 13:31
hi Rick what you saying you're going to sell your bike with all the work that's gone into it
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 13:52
Originally posted by constant constant wrote:

hi Rick what you saying you're going to sell your bike with all the work that's gone into it

S s s suh Sell it? *splutters coffee everywhere* I'd sooner sell my gonads and be a hobo, just me and the bike living under a tree. Sexless, but happy LOL LOL

Ha! sell it. Outrageous hrumph. Big smile
Question everything.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 16:09
hahahaha, I certainly wouldn't want to be in range on the day that Rick sells his beloved Ape, I would know as he is closer than 50 miles away so I would certainly hear it Tongue

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Nhoj View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nhoj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 16:34
Plus the clocks reset  to klm if the battery is a bit low
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 18:47
glad to hear it rick i couldnt imaging you letting it go
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 14:42
I shall be buried on it and have it in the afterlife.

These are my instructions, so please make sure my wishes are carried out guys.

Chuck a few Scandinavian blonds in as well. I'm planning on having a helluva labido. LOL

And some spare carbon.

Question everything.
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 15:15
Well after all that, I've arranged delivery for Sunday. That's my Christmas break sorted Big smile 
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 19:39
looks a beauty buddy,shouldnt have any problems there.
has the charging side been uprated?
best thing i did to my old milles and tuono.
better cca battery and newer rsv starter selonoid.
fired up instantly every single time after barely 1 turn over.
got my new bike being couriered in the morning.
equaly as excited as you pal.best xmas ever!!
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 22:14
Nice work big un, what you got on its way?

I’ve already got the uprated battery from Griff ready to fit. Definitely planning on uprating the solenoid, but need to check what’s on there first as it may already have one
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 22:59
true pal.most previous owners who know there salt should have done these brill mods already.
battery/starter are the only problem ive ever had out of all my apes.
got another 5jj r1 on its way buddy.01 registered in 2002.
a bike very close to my heart,much like the ape.
had a look for a nice mille but theyre very scarce these days,
i think more and more folk are starting to cotton onto the brilliance of the mille now!!

constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 03:07
wilko check out some of john boy earth leads to replace the skinny aprilia ones a very good investment 
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 08:02
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

I love the gen 1s on gold wheels.

That's a sweet looking bike.
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 08:32
Originally posted by BIG UN BIG UN wrote:

true pal.most previous owners who know there salt should have done these brill mods already.
battery/starter are the only problem ive ever had out of all my apes.
got another 5jj r1 on its way buddy.01 registered in 2002.
a bike very close to my heart,much like the ape.
had a look for a nice mille but theyre very scarce these days,
i think more and more folk are starting to cotton onto the brilliance of the mille now!!

Love the 4XV and 5JJ R1s with carbs, they still look fantastic and are seriously fast even by today's standard
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 08:44
yours looks superb and my fave colours,black with the gold wheels.
youve got a belter there mate. 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:18
2003 owners manual - uploads/235/5a291413ddcb2.pdf

billd View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 20:24
Well done Wilko, you have wanted one for a long time now, they really are great bikes. Enjoy it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic