rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aprilia Trackday 17th July Donington.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:36
Great setup by Maxton on their shock 
. I would say the wear is perfect,  the grip on the Metezler K2 and 1 was amazing..  Was a great day out,  can't get over how good the tyres were. Managed all 7 sessions at nearly 59 years old 😂 

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:39
It had no problem tipping in with that 200 tyre,  like Dave Moss said it was down to suspension and geometry setup. .
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 12:45
Nice wear Thumbs Up

You obviously enjoyed yourself
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 13:56
Hi Fulgy,  yes was a great day,  I am so sorry you couldn't come.  I hope you resolved your engine issues.  I was pleased with the the tyre wear , thanks to Mr Moss who gave me free advice.  We are going to organise a  3 day European one in the spring next year,  I will keep you posted.  I hope my engine 1127 big Bore is done by then .
After 35 years of track I couldn't believe how track tyres have evolved.  I had one slide it was gradual with plenty of warning. 
Hopefully we will see you at the European one Wink
Andys Thumper View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys Thumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 15:19
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

Originally posted by edrsv edrsv wrote:

enjoyable day but shame about the red flags

Told ya. I’m a prophet.....

Effing profit of Doom, and in fairness the red flags were short lived and nearly straight back out!!
PaulW View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 15:31
Hi Andy, you're still alive! 
I was talking to Ed about this a few weeks ago, explained my reasoning and past experience of "group" days but he went anyhow! 
Was at Mallory with Perky recently, agreed we should organise an old RSVR.net meet up in the Autumn, probaly beer/curry Donington way. You up for that? 
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Andys Thumper View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andys Thumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 16:02
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

Hi Andy, you're still alive! 
I was talking to Ed about this a few weeks ago, explained my reasoning and past experience of "group" days but he went anyhow! 
Was at Mallory with Perky recently, agreed we should organise an old RSVR.net meet up in the Autumn, probaly beer/curry Donington way. You up for that? 

Hey Paul, yes mate alive and still kicking....

Yea I saw you comments on here a little while ago, in fairness it wasn't too bad for traffic and as long you gave respect when overtaking all in all it was a great day, even at my age we still managed to get out for all the sessions.... and even managed to get some reasonable times in with out any real drama's.

Yes I would be up for that and it would be great to get the old gang together, I'm sure Neil would be up for it as well and we may even get the pit bitch Spike to come as well this time.... 

Hope you and Sarah are enjoying retirement to the Country, and I haven't spoken to Perky for a while, must give him a call soon.

Ed, if you read this, good to catch up with you and the Bionic man, and hope you got back OK.
edrsv View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edrsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 23:37
How about Donny August 28
Andy , Neil , Paul ? 

Bit of a sh*t journey Andy but no great problems 
Hope yours wasn’t too bad

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 23:50
Glad ypu all had a good time.Adam paddedcell has sent me a couple of vids I'll be checking them out when I finish work looking forward to it. 
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
PaulW View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 07:19
Originally posted by edrsv edrsv wrote:

How about Donny August 28
Andy , Neil , Paul ? 

Bit of a sh*t journey Andy but no great problems 
Hope yours wasn’t too bad

Track riding done for me this year Ed. The MRI for the torn ligaments highlighted my right knee is FUBAR so op booked to replace it like the left one was 9 years ago. Cry
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 09:57
Love these tyres K1andK2,lean angles you can get were ridiculous , had to recalibrate my brain 😂 . Also the 200 tyre was no problem with tipping in and the grip was epic.
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 12:14
I'd say that's an excellent return to track riding dog!

Yeah I think the 200 would have just been overkill for the power, rather than slow turning. People tell me how sluggish the Mille is to turn but it seems to tip in plenty quick enough for me. It's heavy to push about (and up the ramp into the van) but feels agile enough on the move.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 12:54
Originally posted by blacklines blacklines wrote:

I'd say that's an excellent return to track riding dog!

Yeah I think the 200 would have just been overkill for the power, rather than slow turning. People tell me how sluggish the Mille is to turn but it seems to tip in plenty quick enough for me. It's heavy to push about (and up the ramp into the van) but feels agile enough on the move.
They do feel heavy when pushing them around 😂,  as you say they are agile when on track . Hope you had a good day there. I loved having a slipper clutch on track. Got a bit snaking into a few bends but a great asset to have on big twin.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 13:37
I wasn't able to make it to Donington. Yeah, people talk about quick shifters but really a slipper clutch is a far higher priority for me. You do get a lot of snaking when hard on the brakes and the rear is unloaded.

Having said that I've also managed to lock the back by hitting a false neutral then going down 1 too many into Charlies at Cadwell. That was on the gas and uphill too so the back would have been weighted.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 14:08

I wasn't able to make it to Donington. Yeah, people talk about quick shifters but really a slipper clutch is a far higher priority for me. You do get a lot of snaking when hard on the brakes and the rear is unloaded.
That happened to me, I hit a false neutral in my panic I went one to many, although the slipper took it , I don't think I would have stayed on without it . I felt the temptation to throw it in whole the back was snaking , my friend said it be fine but he is fast rider and already had a few race wins this season .
Maybe next time,  this is him backing it in without a slipper on a Fireblade 😂 nutter

Having said that I've also managed to lock the back by hitting a false neutral then going down 1 too many into Charlies at Cadwell. That was on the gas and uphill too so the back would have been weighted.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 14:16
Ha backing it in or losing the back?

In my case it was probably also fine and I could have tipped in but in the moment I panicked. Let the bike stand up and go straight on to say hi to the marshall.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 15:03

Ha backing it in or losing the back?

In my case it was probably also fine and I could have tipped in but in the moment I panicked. Let the bike stand up and go straight on to say hi to the marshall.
😂 the the lad does all the time,  some people are just talented.  I was just trying not to bin it,  and like you I did have a few moments ,like entering the the chicane entering the loop and had to stand it up and take the inside kerb . You are dead right though , if you don't panic you can get out of difficult situations. The session with the instructor was the highlight of the day for me, he showed me how fast you can go through craners and after that I never got taken on that bend again.  Bit off-putting when he's looking back at you while riding fast aswell ,I thought he was an owl 😂 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 17:15
That's the thing that I can't ever get over when out with an instructor,they say 'just stay with me' then go barrelling into corners far quicker than I believed possible and then turn round and do the whole thing unsighted! Shocked

It's so frightening but at the same time we always seem to just carve through the pack and leave them behind,that lasts just until I take the lead and it drops down to my naturally slow pace again

Last time I was there I thought my instructor was some sort of riding God but he said 'No,you should go out with XXX,he rides BSB and makes me look stupid slow'

It was after that I went back out and got ambition and talent confused and fell off Embarrassed

Sometimes you just have to accept your limitations and marvel at others.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 20:23
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

That's the thing that I can't ever get over when out with an instructor,they say 'just stay with me' then go barrelling into corners far quicker than I believed possible and then turn round and do the whole thing unsighted! Shocked

It's so frightening but at the same time we always seem to just carve through the pack and leave them behind,that lasts just until I take the lead and it drops down to my naturally slow pace again

Last time I was there I thought my instructor was some sort of riding God but he said 'No,you should go out with XXX,he rides BSB and makes me look stupid slow'

It was after that I went back out and got ambition and talent confused and fell off Embarrassed

Sometimes you just have to accept your limitations and marvel at others.

Well said Ian G,  and it's so true.  I was glad that I finished 7 sessions without being the cause of any red flags . When you're ate following the instructors it is mad ,but like you say, you realise that you can go through corners so much quicker.  With everyone trying to give you advice it's the best thing to go out with the instructor and considering its free and they are such talented riders you would be stupid not to take it up.
I did feel a bit silly thinking I was going to pick up where I left off 😂 but that track craft at an early age definitely helped keeping me sunny side up. I hope a few more of us go next year fast it is goto be an annual event .
The Paddock was friendly ,and I took the wrong rear stand which wouldn't lift the back enough to put on the tyre warmers.  So I asked around the pits and a lad with a V4 Ducati said his brother will bring one down for me which he did . Met Cheasy down there,  Nickyboy was there but I didn't get to see him. Hopefully you will come next year it would nice to meet you,  and you could give a 59 year old get on his bike 😂,  I was absolutely f**ked driving the van home and had to spend a day in ice 😂 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 20:50
I do want to go there again,I have unfinished business at Coppice Confused

I would have gone this time but I wasn't sure about our holidays when it was planned,as it turned out we don't go for another week or so but I owe it to my Mrs not to endanger myself so close to the event.

I think by next year I'll be well past wobbling around there at anything other than touring pace,as it is last time I was on track I think people thought I was someone grandad come to watch 

I will say though that finding a beautiful girl in white leathers on an R6 to follow around gives a great incentive to improve your speed  LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 21:27
Great Ian , I was apprehensive about going ,but even the old boys deserve a bit of track time . Life is short as I realise now,  hey who gives a f**k , see you next year Wink
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 09:20
What a bloody day!!! Incredible, I think it may have ruined road riding forever ha ha. 

The first session in inters I came off track sh*tting my pants basically. I said to my mate that I was going to drop to novice. He advised that I was quick enough for inters and to bare with it for at least the next session, so I did, and boy I'm glad I did. 

Session after session I just got quicker and quicker, confidence levels built up and I was absolutely loving life . By the end of the day I was pushing quite hard, playing with much quicker, bigger bikes and not really getting passed, so safe to say, a cracking day. 

I ended up buying some budget tyre warmers that had some great reviews and some Pirelli Supercorsas (in for a penny, in for a pound) worth their weight in gold. Gave me bags of confidence and I can't quite believe how well behaved, agile and how good the performance was out of a 14 year old bike. Over the moon with it. 

A few shots from the day and me coming out of Melbourne loop. I'm going to purchase some pro photos this weekend. 

I can't wait to do it all over again. Please keep.me posted on the Portugal trip. 

Hopefully the rest of you had a cracking day. 

This was my first ever TD, I'm hooked. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 09:30
LOL

It does have that effect sometimes Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 19:19
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

What a bloody day!!! Incredible, I think it may have ruined road riding forever ha ha. 

The first session in inters I came off track sh*tting my pants basically. I said to my mate that I was going to drop to novice. He advised that I was quick enough for inters and to bare with it for at least the next session, so I did, and boy I'm glad I did. 

Session after session I just got quicker and quicker, confidence levels built up and I was absolutely loving life . By the end of the day I was pushing quite hard, playing with much quicker, bigger bikes and not really getting passed, so safe to say, a cracking day. 

I ended up buying some budget tyre warmers that had some great reviews and some Pirelli Supercorsas (in for a penny, in for a pound) worth their weight in gold. Gave me bags of confidence and I can't quite believe how well behaved, agile and how good the performance was out of a 14 year old bike. Over the moon with it. 

A few shots from the day and me coming out of Melbourne loop. I'm going to purchase some pro photos this weekend. 

I can't wait to do it all over again. Please keep.me posted on the Portugal trip. 

Glad you enjoyed it Sam , me and you have done my first trackday 😂 
It was difficult for me to start with but as it went on I started to settle down . Going with an instructor is highly recommended because you can learn so much.  Hey anyway both stayed sunny side up so all good . I keep everyone posted obout the Portugal trackday . 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 19:20

mixdrive1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixdrive1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 22:22
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

Slicks would be better

current;2001mille,2003R,2003Eddy,2012Tuono. Previous RS250,2006Factory,2001mille,2001R and 2x2002mille
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 22:44
I'll definitely run slicks next time. 
Being my first TD I wasn't sure if I would be quick enough to keep hheain them. I don't think I would have a problem thouth. 

How much more noticeable is the grip from a slick? 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:24
Really nice wear on those Supercorsas. I plan to work up in stages from my sports touring tyres so I don't spoil myself too soon but everyone I've heard talk about SCs say they give loads of confidence.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:57

Really nice wear on those Supercorsas. I plan to work up in stages from my sports touring tyres so I don't spoil myself too soon but everyone I've heard talk about SCs say they give loads of confidence.

Unreal grip from the off, no worrying at all. 

O got mine from FWR £250 with next day delivery, everywhere else wanted £360 + scandalous. 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 11:06
That's a bargain really. Rarely see them so cheap. I'll bear FWR in mind next time I get tyres.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic