rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aprilia Trackday 17th July Donington.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 04:35
Howdy Ad.
I've been meaning to text you and f8nd out how the stator was coming along? Im glad it's all on the way to beimg sorted fella ), should be done just perfectly for the return of the weather then, whoohoo 😎👌.
Right, trackday wise... I'm sure that inters is full up now but there's still spots available in the other 2 groups so if you can do it then get yourself booked up buddy, its going to be an awesome day and it will be great to see you there, I can't wait 🖒
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 05:11
What the hell are you doing up at this time early start or late night hahaha.

Yeah was going to give ya a call mate only got the green light to get it all ordered today ( birthday pressie to myself) so I'll miss my original target but wont be long absolutely pissing down for the next few days so im not that bothered.

Im definitely not going in the fast group for my first time round Donny so I might see if there's a reserve list incase of a cancellation. Failing that im coming along with Rick (Diablo)to watch .
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:20
Morning Ad.

Haha,I'd fallen asleep on the sofa and checked my phone for some reason when I woke up ...

I really hope you can get a place in the inters somehow buddy but even if you're just spectating it'll still be a great day.
😎👌
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by PaulW PaulW wrote:

That’s a tad condescending isn’t it? And frankly bollocks, as everyone is not allowed out at 52m intervals, and maintain that throughout the session.
I race. I’ve raced for years. I enjoy the close contact of racing. But that’s just it, this is not racing, it’s mixing 60 bods of very mixed ability and attitude on circuit.
I used to enjoy my Trackdays hobbie (sic), not any more with the organisers greed and bar room warriors taking the game over.
60 on track at Donington will not be enjoyable for me, I’ll stick to <35 grids thanks and take the criticism......

Hi Paul, I couldn't agree with you more, I found the comment condescending aswell.
There's was no need for that at all especially from the person running the group. I raced for 9 seasons when I was young and I never knew of a grid that big ever. There used to be loads of practice days for ACU licence holders, according to my my friend who still races they aren't as frequent as they used to be and it's mostly trackdays. When racing it was practice per class and riders were a lot better organised according to their ability and what bike they were ridding.
I only activated my Facebook page to take part in this event, and to tbh I have had a gut full of all these experts on there so I shall be deactivating my account.
If I like the trackday I shall probably go abroad where it's better I have heard.
I am very happy to be a member of this forum and the AF1 forum, there might be parts that I might miss for sale on Facebook, but all the quality parts that I have bought is from AF1 and here, and I have never been ripped off and I have bought parts from all over the world.
I have seen a lot if racing and a few trackdays, there is always have more accidents than racing, I went to Brands with my late friend who raced at the Iom 5 times and Macau once, he got tangled up with the Panigale coming out of druids and the Panigale came off worst, we are talking about a fast guy here, and even he said it was ridiculous out there.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 18:14
How many of us going to this trackday at Donington?  I was thinking of seeing if we can get a garage together . I will bring some spares and tools. I am going to get some B&B the previous night , anybody doing the same? The only thing I ain
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 18:19
i hadn't finished I ain't got no wets , them K2and 1s be no good in the rain. I don't wether to get some get some? 
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 19:20
Originally posted by dog78 dog78 wrote:

How many of us going to this trackday at Donington?  I was thinking of seeing if we can get a garage together . I will bring some spares and tools. I am going to get some B&B the previous night , anybody doing the same? The only thing I ain

Yup, I can't wait. I need to get different tyres and warmers if possible. 

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 21:26
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

Looking very unlikely im afraid gutted to say the least. My missus forgot to book it off so im trying to get someone to watch the kids so i can come and watch. 
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 06:00
Adam I hope you do make it,  it should be good day. 
Sam there was some R10s for sale on the Facebook page for 150 quid virtually brand new. Paddedcell has asked for the garage and hopefully Liam Dear can allocate us one

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 07:54
I'm working on it Richard was really looking forward to to meeting you all
wigginsjp View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wigginsjp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 09:50
🤔 Tempting.....
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2007 V2 1060cc Big Bore
Aprilia RSVR Factory 2004 Race Bike
Kawasaki ZX10R 2007 Race Bike
Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2020
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apworkshops.co.uk
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:02
I'am gonna be able to make it now WHOOHOO, can't wait to see all these lovely aprilia's hehe...

NickyBoy Big smile
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:50
Would have liked to come and watch this carnage unfold ,but unfortunately i'm away.Cool
I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 13:46

Sam some tyres here for you fir the trackday 

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 20:15
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Legend cheers Dog. 

I've never done a trackday before, what's your advice with chain tensioner and tyre presures? 
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:00
To be honest you'll be fine on your road tyres and no warmers for your first few days. I've done 2 at Cadwell now and my Pilot Road 3s have been fine. They actually grip a lot better on track than on road because the track surface is much better and the tyres get hot and sticky.

There will be a tyre guy you can ask but expect tyre pressures to be like 30f 28r rather than the 32f 36r you might have on the road.

Yes, make check your chain tension is correct and make sure your happy the rest of the bike is fine.

Riding track puts more stress on your bike but in a good way. After the day you'll have a nice coating of friction material on your brake discs and your engine will feel more responsive and rev more freely. You can't properly run your bike on the road like you can on the track.

Don't overthink it, you'll have a great time.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 16:24

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=621012648275792&id=573585253018532

[/QUOTE]
Hi Sam, it's my first trackday too, in fairness not my first time on track as I raced for quite a few seasons when I young . So it be little new to me aswell . If they are Road tyres you will be fine I would say without warmers , but if they are Road legal track tyres like my Metezlers K2and K1 or Perelli SCs I would use warmers if you can borrow a set,  Perelli gave me that advice about my Metezlers when I was asking about hot tyre pressures.
If they were Perelli SP I wouldn't bother but if you can borrow a set it would probably help you.  Just make sure that the chain is tensioned as normal about.  I am going to run my present gearing 15/40, probably a bit tall for Donington ,but it's big twin and a torquey motor so it will be fine but I will take a rear 42.  It ain't a race so just enjoy it and remember you got seven sessions and you will improve as the day goes on. Bring plenty to drink it's going to be hot ♨ . Hopefully Sam we can all get a garage together , me and you will be the non big bores as Adam,Fulgy and Nige are all big bores 😂 
Look forward to meeting you,  and I am bringing some tools which everyone is welcome to use. 

Legend cheers Dog. 

I've never done a trackday before, what's your advice with chain tensioner and tyre presures? 
[/QUOTE]
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 16:33
Are they SC1 and 2 , so yes I would use warmers, if you can't get set give the a lap or 2 to warm up. If you got them it's something you won't have to worry about,  also it may help as you are learning the track to have heat in the tyres from the off.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 20:50
I will not be able to come anymore. Got childcare covered only to find out this afternoon that it's my eldest daughter's sports day and on top of that its the younger ones leavers concert at 5pm nether i can miss family first and all that but i am really bloody pissed off.  Just wasn't ment to be i suppose on this one. I have booked up an open pitlane day at snetterton to cheer myself up though 25th September if anyone else is up for it ill post a separate thread. 

Enjoy you lucky people 
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 21:22
people on the Facebook page asking for places so you’ll be able to sell it on

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 14:41
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

people on the Facebook page asking for places so you’ll be able to sell it on

Thanks Mark but i never bought a space the bike was in pieces until recently. As i said not ment to be.  I was going to go up fir a few hours to watch and meet a few people.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 18:13
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

I will not be able to come anymore. Got childcare covered only to find out this afternoon that it's my eldest daughter's sports day and on top of that its the younger ones leavers concert at 5pm nether i can miss family first and all that but i am really bloody pissed off.  Just wasn't ment to be i suppose on this one. I have booked up an open pitlane day at snetterton to cheer myself up though 25th September if anyone else is up for it ill post a separate thread. 

Enjoy you lucky people 
Real shame you can't come Adam,  but I agree family first, also when you are young you need the support of your parents. Everything no mater how small is a milestone for children and should be there. 
There will be plenty of other times , and if this goes OK we could arrange for a group from this forum to go together . The rsv.net fourm trackday outing,  be a right laugh all of our Aprilas. I am still struggling with my hips and knees but soon as I am on the bike I will soon forget with ibuprofen gel and Tramadol,  I don't think I supposed to operate machinery,  so I better ride quick 😂 
Looks like the big bores are going to out number the oem ones. I am going up with Nige and Rick ,well we are staying nearby and a short trip in the morning and blag a garage hopefully we might get there altogether and have a garage for us lot. 
So we will meet up soon. 
Fulgy you travelling up in the morning like Paddedcell ?
Sam what tyres you got and did you get any warmers? 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 23:20
Cheers Richard and yes that would be great to all do another one. Hope the aches and pains don't get in the way and show those 1060s that the old 998 still cuts it. Take plenty of photos be brilliant to see all the apes together. Ill remind the girls in years to come they owe me one hahaha Big smile
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 06:19
Thanks Adam, yes it's running really well now and the handling is sorted now , must have been a twist in the forks.  Just got to put the carbon ceramic pads in, whip some bits off and she is ready to go. It won't do Tapmyhead's bike it's got exactly what I have got and 1103,  and they all got slippers now almost. Hey anyway I am looking forward to it, 30 years of track should make it interesting 

dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 22:12
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 08:24

[/QUOTE=dog78]
 with ibuprofen gel and Tramadol,  I don't think I supposed to operate machinery,  so I better ride quick 😂 

Sam what tyres you got and did you get any warmers? 
[/QUOTE]

That cracked me up for some reason. 

I haven't bought any yet, I'm currently running some Avon 3D ultra's, they're brilliant on road but I think they have a few to many sipes for the track so I'm torn between a set of scrubs, or buying some Avon Ultra extreme track tyres, they seem a reasonable price. 

Warmers, again I was going to get some second hand ones as I won't be using them every weekend but they're far and few between. 

We're going up the night before and should be at the gate itching for a garage by 6.30 am. 

It's going to be a cracker, I can't wait. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 09:46
+1 on the Avon Ultra Extremes,damn good tyres on an Ape Thumbs Up

You don't need warmers with those,they'll be up to temp during your warm up laps

Odd subject warmers on track days,Ron Haslam held the view that they are totally unnecessary as the tyre will have lost any heat by the time you get on track and a cycle has been wasted.

I suppose those with 200 series slicks will need them to go with the image but general road/trackday tyres? NOPE.    You do a couple of gentle laps for a reason,it's not just to find out which way the track goes it's more about settling the tyres in.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
blacklines View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacklines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:48
I found that with road tyres they are still pretty warm and sticky by the time the next session comes round. Half a lap or so and they are feeling good and only get better through the session until they start squirming at the end. It's after lunch you need to take it steady a couple of laps.

If they stay warmish for 40 minutes I'm sure you won't lose all that much heat between taking off warmers and getting out. That said, I'm going to hold off on warmers as long as I can because I'd rather not have the hassle and expense of warmers and genny.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:30
That's the thing,road based tyres definitely don't need warmers,in fact it's possibly counter productive as it may overheat them.

I think I cooked my Ultra Extremes by using warmers in Spanish heat. I only bothered because I'd borrowed a set and everyone else in the garage was using them on race rubber,now I realise my mistake I wouldn't do it again.

Race rubber benefits from warmers,then they need someone faster enough on board to maintain the heat.

I doubt that a lot of inters? level riders can do that consistently,I know I can't. 

Fast group is another story

This is based on people actually being in the proper groups on ability,not going into them based on ego and what their mates do

Based on experience of the inters ( mayhem group) generally I usually feel a few, especially those group riding with their more accomplished mates should be sanctioned/demoted to novice before they cause too many accidents.

Another reason to avoid 60 riders per group grids

This is also the view shared by quite a few of my mates who've made the legitimate step up to the relative safety of the fast groups.

End of old duffers rant Embarrassed

Smile

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 16:06
I am only using tyre warmers as I have track rubber also Perelli recommended that I do with the Metezler K1 and 2, it's nothing to do with image. As for what group people should be in, I have been off track for a long while , but started racing at 17 years old and held an ACU national licence for 8 years . I never won a race but had a second ay Cadwell . I thought at my age and the time I have had off track the inters be the right group for me.
If trackdays were run with the same rules as club racing a few problems of people in the wrong group might not exist , but I can't comment on trackdays as I haven't done one.  But I was told it ain't race ,it's for people to enjoy being on track .
If people are really that serious about it they should go and race with an ACU licence. 
I have been on track , Brands that is with Croz and Sheene in 81 on a practice day and I never caused either of them to crash or anybody else for that matter .But everyone on track that day held an ACU licence. 
I asked my friends who were racing at the Endurance Legends meeting at Donington and they said the inters would suit me best. 
At the end of the day we are just going to have fun in a safer environment than the road and at nearly 59 I have nothing prove, it's just a day at track with fellow Aprilia owners .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic