rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which forks will fit?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which forks will fit?
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:13
Hi guys,

I'm looking into a front fork update on my RSV1000R 2004.
Currently it has the non-radial Showa forks in it and I want to upgrade to radial brakes. (mostly for the looks hehe..)

Now there are a couple of options;

1. Upgrade to Ohlins from a Factory model
This is the nicest fork you can get, but will cost a lot (too much for me) and also requires more parts to make it fit?

2. Upgrade to the radial Showa
The Gen2 Tuono and the 2005 RSVR are using radial Showa's.
Can I replace those without other yokes? 

3. Upgrade to radial forks from a RSV4/RSV4 Tuono?
Does anyone has experience with fitting the forks from a RSV4 to a RSVR?

I've been searching a lot on this conversions, but can't find a nice overview of what will fit and what not.

Thanks in advance!
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:38
Any radial fork will fit

Do not use rsv4 yokes I have been told...you can use gen2 or gen1 but need the matching pair as offsets are different

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 12:43
So what's the deal with not using the V4 forks? Can anyone tell me why not?
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 12:44
Originally posted by wheelex wheelex wrote:

So what's the deal with not using the V4 forks? Can anyone tell me why not?
Nevermind, you meant the yokes, not the forks :-)

Guess that's because of the key ignition is different?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 12:47
There is no reason to not use RSV4 forks just the yokes as Mark said. Yoke offset alters the distance from the headstock to the fork which will alter the wheelbase and angle

Get showa’s. better road fork than ohlins in stock trim.
Zippy250 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 13:25
Not sure that any radial forks will fit without new yokes or shims.
From memory the axial showa's are 53mm at the top while the radial showa's are 51mm.
I have a set of v4 showa's on my gen 2 with gen 2 axial yokes, shimmed to fit.
These were up for sale but as I'm in the middle of moving house I've had to store my bikes miles away so pulled the advert.
PM me as I might be able to do you a full front end deal or forks/shims as you'd prefer.
Forks are mint, no damage, corrosion or rub marks.
I suffer from a mental illness, please give me lots of cats!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 08:23
Originally posted by Zippy250 Zippy250 wrote:

From memory the axial showa's are 53mm at the top while the radial showa's are 51mm.
These were up for sale but as I'm in the middle of moving house I've had to store my bikes miles away so pulled the advert.
PM me as I might be able to do you a full front end deal or forks/shims as you'd prefer.

Thanks! I'll keep this one in mind!
Right now I'm into a fork from a fellow Dutch guy. A 2017 RSV4 fork brand-new.

What I was wondering, does the front fender from the RSVR also fit on the RSV4 fork?
Zippy250 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippy250 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 08:44
Yes it fits on the v4 showa forks at least and pretty sure the v4 sachs also.
I suffer from a mental illness, please give me lots of cats!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 09:17

Originally posted by Zippy250 Zippy250 wrote:

Thanks! I'll keep this one in mind!
Right now I'm into a fork from a fellow Dutch guy. A 2017 RSV4 fork brand-new.

What I was wondering, does the front fender from the RSVR also fit on the RSV4 fork?
you need the radial fork mudguard a brand new plastic v4 item is approx £40 I think and comes in a carbon look

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 19:47
So, bikes finished. Put a RSV4 fork in it with Brembo M4's. Love it!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 20:09
Sweet!!!!

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 07:07

That's looking simply, simply lovely.

Did you paint the brembo writing red or was it done? I want to paint mine but don't know the best way to go about it.
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 11:15
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

That's looking simply, simply lovely.

Did you paint the brembo writing red or was it done? I want to paint mine but don't know the best way to go about it.

Thanks mate! Not painted by me. This is how the original Brembo M4 monoblocks look like from a RSV4.
Clarkie135 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarkie135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 15:52
Looking at doing something similar myself what yokes did you use mate ? 
Andy Higham View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 21:55
Radial calipers are NOT an upgrade.
The only reason they are fitted to race bikes is to enable different diameter discs to be used, just change the spacers under the calipers.
Radial calipers on a road bike are nothing more than a fashion accessory 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 23:18
Originally posted by Clarkie135 Clarkie135 wrote:

Looking at doing something similar myself what yokes did you use mate ? 
pretty sure they spot into 51mm gen2 yokes 

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:44
Originally posted by Andy Higham Andy Higham wrote:

The only reason they are fitted to race bikes is to enable different diameter discs to be used, just change the spacers under the calipers.

I always wondered what the advantage of Radial over Axial calipers was because as far as I could see there wasn't any. So there's no difference in braking performance they just make changing disc size easier. Thanks for the explanation and I wont feel embarrassed anymore with my unfashionable Axials. Smile
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarkie135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:46
Looking at a pair of sachs Rsv4 forks now apparently the part of the fork that fits through the bottom yoke is 53mm take it it will fit through gen 2 yokes ? Top is ok as its 51mm
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarkie135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 11:55
Next question will these for with the standard brembo wheels I'm sure AP does disc spacers for that purpose 
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarkie135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 12:36
And I mean showa not sachs🙄
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 20:26
Originally posted by Andy Higham Andy Higham wrote:

Very true,I've been saying that for years but people still think it's progress rather than expediency

The main advance caliper wise is a monoblock casting as it minimizes any potential flex that might happen

From my direct comparisons between the axial Goldline 4 pads and the later 2 pad radials is they perform just the same with similar pads.  The radials with bendix pads were sh*te till I upgraded with Race Sinter like the Mille's axial 4 pad setup

I do prefer the radials looks wise though,the axials look so last century LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Andy Higham View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 21:40
The 4 pad axial Brembos fitted with SBS road sinter pads are awesome
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 09:07
@Clarkie135

The Showa's will fit the bottom yokes, but indeed you'll need 51mm top yokes.

About if radial is an upgrade or not, looks wise it definitely is. 

I do think the axial vs radial brakes will be as good when it comes to stopping power, but the difference is how fast the brake power builds up. The radial monoblocks are biting harder. They just need less pressure on the lever to brake as hard as the axial brakes.  

I'm quite aggressive on the brakes so for me they definitely are an upgrade.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarkie135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 09:13
The Rsv4 forks fits through the gen 2 top yoke without needin NG spacers though right? 
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 09:27
Yep, that'll work too.
I didn't want to use spacers and since the Ohlins yokes are the right diameter I used one of those.
wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 09:30
Keep in mind that you need other brake lines too. I fitted a pair of a 1098s to match the monoblocks. Since most RSV4's have ABS you can't use those brake lines.

Pic for fun :-)

The Shredder View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shredder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 02:27

Keep in mind that you need other brake lines too. I fitted a pair of a 1098s to match the monoblocks. Since most RSV4's have ABS you can't use those brake lines.

Pic for fun :-)

looks stunning, THe Gen 2 have aged so well.. Could be a new bike now in my op timeless!

Was wondering do the Brembo m4's fit Gen 1 bikes with radial forks as standard? Like a Edwards for example? Say from a ducati or something? Would be a good upgrade over the crappy everyone's got them gold brembos :D 

wheelex View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 08:25
As far as I'm aware of they would fit on any Aprilia model with the radial forks. As mentioned before you only need other brake lines as the mounting position on the M4 caliper is different then the stock Brembo's.
The Shredder View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shredder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:20

As far as I'm aware of they would fit on any Aprilia model with the radial forks. As mentioned before you only need other brake lines as the mounting position on the M4 caliper is different then the stock Brembo's.

Cool mate,

People say there no performance difference radial VS normal, But there must be a great upgrade going from the boggo on every Italian bike gold radials to the M4 calipers radial, Did you notice a difference  ( since your bike was radial anyway)

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 20:33
I very much doubt you'd notice much difference between an ordinary radial and an M40 during normal road use ,that's with everything else like No of pads,pad material,master cylinder etc all being equal.

The monoblock design would probably only show an advantage under competition levels of braking  due to being better at resisting flex under heavy load.

Still,I'm sure if you've spent loads of money on buying bling you'll see a world of difference eh? Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic