rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Falco heart transplant...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falco heart transplant...
    Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 11:40

Hello chaps.

I've started to plan this job that I've had in mind for the last few months, but from what I've seen there haven't been many conversions like this at all.  So, as the RiderSite forum is quieter than a Presbyterian graveyard at the moment I thought I'd drop this in here.  

The bike is a '99 Falco in ok-ish condition that I've had for just over a year and have done 10k miles without any issues at all. However, I am a fiddler, tinkerer, fettler - call it what you want - but I love p!ssing about with motors and 'improving' them. So far it's worked, my old GSXR750K1 trackbike ended up with 146 rwhp after a serious bit of p!ssing, but that's another story.

So, I've got the bike. I also have an '04 RSV-R Factory motor that I got from Mark up in Middlesborough, a set of 4 stud headers and link pipe, an RSV oil tank, a set of 57mm TBs from an 08 RSV and a pair of RSV 'Aprilia Racing' exhausts. I have also got an old Falco donor engine that was described as running prior to failure of its sprag clutch.

The plan is to get the Factory motor on the bench and swap over the electrical bits from the Falco donor. I guess that's the easiest bit to do.  The TB's won't be a problem, but I guess I'll need to find some trumpets to suit - would the air-box mod be worthwhile doing at this point? As I've got a whole Falco motor to play with, I've got lots of bits to play with - like cam sprockets - and wondered if it would be feasible to slot them and play around with the cam timing a bit. There's a relevant question here though, and whilst I'm not a complete power freak, we all like the biggest bang we can get between our legs don't we? So, the 57 TB's will make big power at the higher end of the rev range while the Falc's 51's will give good midrange. I know this is probably all academic, but I don't know any different so am happy to ask as many questions which will help me learn more about what I'm likely to achieve.  So, back to the cam sprockets...  If I understand correctly, torque characteristics can be modified by altering the cam timing - so is it feasible to achieve the benefits of the bigger TB's while shifting the torque curve down the rev range a little?? I don't know if there's any difference in the Falco and RSV-R cam profile that I can exploit (I installed a K5 thou inlet cam in the exhaust of the 750 I mentioned before..) but could I use the Falco cam sprocket for the camshaft position sensor?

Then, there's the pipes. I've stripped them down already and have cut out the internal resonance chambers and plan to replace the inners with a length of 75mm (because it slips over the cat housing) perforated stainless tube. What's left inside the cans will be stuffed with Acoustafil and hopefully won't irritate the neighbours too much.

The Falco has already got one of Ed's chips in it - that made a night and day difference to the original performance characteristics of the bike, and I'm hoping he can work some of his Eprom magic on the 'new' arrangements.

That should give me enough to do over the winter - paint will follow ... hopefully!

Whaddya think?

Greg
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 14:11
i know you will get some answers here from the knowledgeable ones on here but go on AF1 forum theres a bloke on there whos stuck a g2 moto in a falco he will have some answers for you
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 14:18
hansie is his name have a look on page 23 on the falco gallery
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 14:25
Cheesey on here has Gen 2 big bore in his Gen1 Tuono.

RedRatbiker is doing Gen 2 into Gen 1 as well iirc.

I'm putting a gen 2 big bore in mine this winter, motor is built and ready to go in.

Can't comment much atm, too fuzzy headed from yesterdays bday! Wacko

Question everything.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 15:09
You need a Gabro chip to alter the ignition timing so it runs correctly and produces the correct amount of power.

Or smaltmoto do a hybrid chip

Got a falco and gen2 engine myself for the same transplant

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Greggers View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 19:14

Thanks for the replies guys.

I found the long thread over on AF1 - 25 pages takes a while to get through - but it was really informative and worth taking the time.

Rats - thanks for the reply to gave me over on FB (I think it was there anyway lol)  Obviously I've got the Falco headers which I think are unlinked 1:1, but the 4 bolt Gen 2 headers I have are 1:1 linked - with a lambda sensor - and what look like sampling ports on the individual headers. Is it worth chopping the Falco headers to suit the Gen 2 heads and keeping the headers separate?

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 19:24
Both falco and gen2 headers are merged before they split into 2 again

Gen2 system is a copy of the gen1 akrapovic system if you could fitthat perfect however it's the rear downpipe will need massaging

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Greggers View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 20:29

Ahaaa...   what a productive evening this is turning out to be..

Thanks for that - I'll divert attentions more appropriately !

G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic