rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on buying a 31000 mile 2003 Gen 1 R

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on buying a 31000 mile 2003 Gen 1 R
    Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:04
Hi all

Been looking for ages for a standard 01, 02 or 03R for ages. Ideally been wanting mileage 20000 or below. However, a standard 2003 R (black, radial brake model) has come up near me for 3500 with 31000 miles, but only 2 owners and 8 stamps in the service book. One of the fairing stickers looks a bit knackered, but other than that its all good

Anyone care to help me part with my hard-earned? Big smile

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 11:50
for that money I'd want the bodywork to be near mint, as for the mileage I wouldn't worry about the plus 30K at the end of the day it is still well under 3K per yr and at least shows it's been used rather than been stuck in the garage or shed gathering dust. Mine is just coming up to 36K and (touch wood) is still going strong. The thing to do is go look at the bike and basically chip the owner on the price, it's not the best time of year to sell a bike so he may be prepared to move on the price, then it's a matter of finding every little thing to push the price down, eg tyres if they are nearly new then I'd be trying to knock off a couple of hundred for replacements, does it need a service? again chip more money off, don't be scared to start low if you are going to make an offer, you can always up it later, also don't be afraid to walkaway, there will always be another.   
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 14:37
Thanks for the reply budd. It pretty much needs for nothing apart from the one fairing sticker. Image Works do them for about £25. I don't get much chance to ride so I won't be piling on the miles, just wanting to find a good genuine standard Mille R I can keep and cosset!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by budd budd wrote:

for that money I'd want the bodywork to be near mint, as for the mileage I wouldn't worry about the plus 30K at the end of the day it is still well under 3K per yr and at least shows it's been used rather than been stuck in the garage or shed gathering dust............. don't be scared to start low if you are going to make an offer, you can always up it later, also don't be afraid to walkaway, there will always be another.   

Prices of good ones are definitely on the rise now especially the R versions and even more so with low mileage. Still lots of cheaper ones around but they almost always have issues.

damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 18:14
Don't worry about that mileage anyway, my gen1 tuono has 60 thousand miles on it, I'm the second owner, touch wood never gave trouble, and I know the first owner and he never had trouble either
Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 19:20
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

Prices of good ones are definitely on the rise now especially the R
versions and even more so with low mileage. Still lots of cheaper ones around but they almost always have
issues.

spent a couple of hours yesterday packing all my OE bodywork in bubble wrap, it's having GRP panels and the standard stuff will be stored away safe and sound.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 20:30
I see where you're coming from doing that but I can't help thinking you loose the ownership experience that way. Might change my mind if I trash my mint bodywork though, Sleepy
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 08:39
its a 2 fold thing really firstly to protect my nice paint but secondly to lose some weight plus I get to mess about painting it a different colour so it will be like having a new bike without the associated expence
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 09:22
Makes sense budd!

I'm going to look at it tomorrow hopefully, wanted a black 03R for literally years - in fact I think my first post on this forum in 2008 was a wanted ad for one.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 09:25
I say dont overthink it, hit the trigger or dont.
I say go for it, if it rides good and sounds good.
Looks can be fixed đź’Şđź‘Ť
Shake'n bake
Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 10:47
Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

You`ve no seen her indoors then
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
twinfan View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 18:13
Originally posted by Mr Miller Mr Miller wrote:

Originally posted by Ice-mille Ice-mille wrote:

You`ve no seen her indoors then

Somebody has been taking "BRAVE" pills
on my licence it says "tear down the dotted line" so I DO!
Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 04:15
Aye man .. liquid form though .. hic ..
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 06:53
Ha ha!

Today’s the day, test ride booked at 2pm. Haven’t ridden a gen 1 for 7 years, can’t wait, it’s even warm and dry
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by wilko wilko wrote:

Ha ha!

Today’s the day, test ride booked at 2pm. Haven’t ridden a gen 1 for 7 years, can’t wait, it’s even warm and dry
have fun Thumbs Up

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 19:05
Didn’t get it although maybe I should have. Mechanically sound, with all books, full service history, two keys, pc3, AP rearsets, fireblade sidestand, nearly new m7rr’s. However it would have required too much work cosmetically to get it to the conditional I would have liked.

The gold oz’s were badly chipped and corroded in loads of places, really bad fuel tank-bubbling, gouge on swing-arm behind exhaust where it had fallen, corrosion on ohlins spring, swing arm black paint bubbled loads on top, nasty cheap-ass front wavey discs plus the usual decal wear. Stepping back it looked awesome but I’m just too fussy and don’t have the time or money to get it looking pristine.

He would have sold it for 3100 though making it the cheapest 03R I’ve seen ever
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 19:13

14 year old bike.....is 14 years old shock. (The ohlins spring doesn't need any water to rust, etc etc etc)

Start looking at 2 year old bikes ! ( that's why so many good bikes are being broken, buyers who think their £3k buys a mint bike, ebay and the Internet just encourages morons lol)

Ps just buy a sh*tty honda....imho

I hate selling bikes !
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 19:27
I wasn’t surprised bud, just a bit disappointed. I’ve got a nearly 12 year old gen 2 Tuono that looks almost as good as the day it left the showroom so you can find one that has aged well if you look hard enough. Although admittedly you pay for the privilege!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic