rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shark spartan only scores 3 in sharp test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shark spartan only scores 3 in sharp test
    Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 23:30
Well I was disappointed to see this, I purchased the carbon version a few months back as needed a new lid, liked the fit and was sick of carrying two visors around with me so it ticked all the boxes. I assumed based on the fact shark helmets seem to rarely score below 4 in the sharp testing it should be a safe bet the spartan would be the same. Not the case be interesting to see if the carbon fairs any better.
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shark-spartan/
Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 09:33
I have a Shoei GT Air...also scores 3.
I think most helmets with integral sun visors score less well.

At the end of the day, it's ALL about the fit..
A correctly fitting Chinese made £30 Aldi cheapie will give you way more protection than a poorly fitted £500 premium  brand.

I wouldn't worry, it's not as though you're gonna crash is it...lol
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 09:37
I wouldn't worry to much about the Sharp test results,they are simply lab tests
designed to offer some kind of guide to helmet behaviour under certain situations, lab simulations are very different to real world conditions.

Many helmets from top line manufacturers like Arai, Shoei, HJC etc don't fair to well often scoring 3 stars, may own Aria Chaser V is a perfect example with only 3 stars, while Halfords own brand (thermoplastic)ST helmet at £30 scores the maximum 5 stars, but I'll b e sticking with my Arai thank you.

If you trust Sharps implicitly then a £30 branded helmet is a much safer option then a helmet from the tried and trusted manufacturer costing over 10 times more and worn by 1000s of riders and racers all over the world. I don't know about you but I'm more likely to trust the fact that many often cash strapped racers will choose to buy an Arai or Shoei over a much cheaper option with a high Sharps rating.
The fact is Sharps is a government quango and there for should be viewed with suspicion, anytime the government gets involved with anything motoring related it never ends well.
If your happy with the fit and feel of your Shark that's the most important thing.    
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:36
Good and valid points made there.
Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:55
But do you look good wearing it? 

That's by far more important.Wink

There should be some form of definitive rating on how good it makes you look.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 14:31
There is - How many women rush up and throw themselves at you?  Big smile

budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by legend88 legend88 wrote:

There is - How many women rush up and throw themselves at you?  Big smile

the ladies are more attracted to me if I keep mine on although a brown paper bag would serve the same propose, not sure how that would do in the Sharp test ....
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 14:53
Well it has a sh*t score on that level, that's it so better sell it, I can always tell them I have a nicer, better performing helmet I can show them at my house........ an AGV GP TECH, only it fogs up in damp conditions, this tread is going downhill fast
davidrsurfer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 18:58
I wouldn't  worry about its rating. If it is a premium brand & fits properly jobs  a good one.
Motorcycle friendly self catering holiday apartment Acorn Studio. See us at Air bnb.
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 19:07
Don’t bother with the report my HJC didn’t do well but it hasn’t fell of while riding yet 👍
j180 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 22:38
The manufacturers don't even know what tests Sharp do as they are kept secret. I would put my faith in a Showing, X-lite or Arai before something like a Lidl helmet that gets similar ratings.
grahamives View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 08:47
I haven't checked the rating on my xlite, bought one on the recommendation of a mate and because of there n-com system. I've never had any problems.
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
budd View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 10:18
IIRC X-lite get very good Sharp ratings, but as said previously buy a correctly fitted lid from a reputable manufacturer and you can't go wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic