rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torque wrench calibration.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque wrench calibration.
    Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 18:14
I have 3 Norbar torque wrenches, 4-20, 8-60 and 30-150NM.
Just checked the calibration of the larger two and found them quite a bit out of cal.
Now that I know the actual torque applied at each 5NM interval I can set them up to the values I need but it would be nicer if they were more accurate.
I've searched the internet but there is absolutely no info on how to cal the Norbar wrenches.
Anyone done it or seen it carried out?
I did remove the 'calibration void if removed' sticker, hoping to find a adjustment screw but there was just a small indentation in the wrench casing that it covered...no use at all.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Tin Man View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 18:59
I work at norbar although not in the tw side of things. If you pm me some pics of the wrenches I'll ask someone if they can be adjusted.
I'm assuming they are pretty old models so whether spare parts are available or not I don't know.
Anyway, will see what I can find out
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 19:33
At my work place we have a calibrated gauge we set the tw to every time for accuracy, not a lot of help to you I’m afraid unless you know someone who works at an engineering works / garage
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 19:36
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

I have 3 Norbar torque wrenches, 4-20, 8-60 and 30-150NM.
Just checked the calibration of the larger two and found them quite a bit out of cal.

Can't help with the actual calibration process but wondering what you checked them with/against?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 20:01
We have a calibration gauge at work as well and if we find them out of spec we send them off to be calibrated , norbar and numerous other makes. We use a ukas accredited company.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 20:36
I work in an RAF depth maintenance hangar as an aircraft engineer and we have a digital setting gauge which is what I checked the wrenches against. Was quite surprised how far out they were. 
The 30-150NM is a Norbar Slimline SL2, is in spotless condition in its original box, etched with a date of 2007; set at 30nm, actual reading is 23nm; set at 75nm, actual reading is 57nm and set at 150nm actual is 119.5nm.
My mistake, one of the wrenches, the 8-60NM is a Halfords Professonal, made in 2013 and I've had it from new; set at 8 it reads 5.8nm; at 30nm it reads 21.5nm and at 60nm it reads 43.7nm.

Tinman, do Norbar make the Halfords Professionals? Is Slimline SL2 (2007) enough info or do you still need a pic? I've also got a never used Slimline SL0 4-20NM wrench, dated 2013, which I'm going to check out tomorrow if you could ask about that too please, thanks for your help and to everyone else for offering advice Thumbs Up
Tin Man View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 21:39
Pics would be helpful as maybe same name of wrench but updated version.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 21:58
Pics of the wrenches.

SL2

Halfords Professional

SL0

apriliaferino View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apriliaferino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 15:43
Hey Tin Man, this would be really useful to many I think.  I have a Norbar TW and would like to get a knowledge of how to adjust calibration 
It started yesterday ....
Tin Man View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 00:44
It's having the gear to calibrate them which would be the problem for most. I'm finding it highly unlikely that Steve's wrenches are out by that much, especially after talking to one guy at work today. I'm interested to know what the unused wrench tests at. If people happen to pass by towcester I'm happy to put them on a rig in my break and test them. As for actually adjusting them however I doubt even if I knew how to do it then I couldn't actually help anyone as I could potentially be damaging business for norbar which I don't want to do. I enjoy working there
However, like I said I can test anyone's wrenches in my own time if you want.
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by Tin Man Tin Man wrote:

It's having the gear to calibrate them which would be the problem for most. I'm finding it highly unlikely that Steve's wrenches are out by that much,

That's what I was getting at whenI asked how he tested them. Unless you have a calibrated load to check them against then it's pretty much impossible to know. I'm with you though, if you handle and use a torque wrench properly, don't drop or abuse it (e.g. Never use it to remove any fasteners) and store it properly then they really don't move much unless they are getting used all day every day.
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apriliaferino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 09:43
TinMan that would be cool, I live in Northants, so no biggie Logistics wise. I am away for work next 10 days but can I contact you on my return. E mail is apriliaferino@gmail.com

Cheers
Tin Man View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:35
Yep. Let me know when you want to drop em off bud and I'll get it sorted
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 10:58
OK, I f**ked up...when I tested my 4-20NM wrench yesterday I noticed that the analyser readout was selected to lbf and not nm!! You can guess the rest Confused
The good news is that having tested all 3 at the correct setting they are virtually spot on. The largest one slightly over reads higher up the scale eventually indicating 160nm when set to 150, not a big problem that can't be compensated for.
Definitely learnt a lesson there.
benx View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 14:09
Last time I used my TW I completely forgot to unwind the spring after I finished - and put it back in the tool box where it stayed for the next year and a half. I know that you're supposed to take all the tension off the spring after you use them - so when I recently got it out and saw it already wound up to 120Nm I thought - $h!t, not again (not the 1st time I've done this...)

As a test I went to my local garage & got them to torque one of my car wheel bolts up to 50Nm using their (calibrated) torque wrench. I then tightened the bolt with my TW winding it up till the bolt just started to move, at which point my TW was showing 140Nm !!*?!!?

Probably not a particularly accurate test, but good enough to indicate my TW is knackered.

I also just learnt a lesson.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 14:36
Actually you're meant to leave a resting torque wrench at minimum setting, not totally unscrewed.
If you fully unscrew it there's a possibility some internal working parts will move about, altering accuracy.
benx View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 15:43
And I've just learnt another lesson Thumbs Up
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 23:47
Originally posted by benx benx wrote:

As a test I went to my local garage & got them to torque one of my car wheel bolts up to 50Nm using their (calibrated) torque wrench. I then tightened the bolt with my TW winding it up till the bolt just started to move, at which point my TW was showing 140Nm !!*?!!?

Probably not a particularly accurate test, but good enough to indicate my TW is knackered.

I also just learnt a lesson.

That sort of test won't work. Once set, the torque needed to create further movement will always be much greater due to friction/stiction. That's also why if you torque fasteners up in stages the last stage should always be a significant increase otherwise you will always end up over-torquing. Same for the second (Or third) 'test' click, it does nothing at all.

L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apriliaferino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 00:24
Guys, I have learnt loads from this thread, thanks for sharing!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:23
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

OK, I f**ked up...when I tested my 4-20NM wrench yesterday I noticed that the analyser readout was selected to lbf and not nm!! You can guess the rest Confused
The good news is that having tested all 3 at the correct setting they are virtually spot on. The largest one slightly over reads higher up the scale eventually indicating 160nm when set to 150, not a big problem that can't be compensated for.
Definitely learnt a lesson there.

Good news  Thumbs Up
Si600 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Si600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 16:41
I leave both my TWs at 0 on the gauge when they're in their boxes, is that correct?
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 20:11
Yep, exactly as they should be
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 20:13
They should be stored at their minimum settings, not wound off entirely.
benx View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 14:27
Presuming that my wrench needs adjustment I phoned my nearest UKAS approved place to get a calibration quote. 

It ain't cheap. I imagine`other places charge similar so if you have an out of tolerance budget/mid-range wrench best course of action looks like chucking it in the bin.

1) Apparently a calibration test costs £30+VAT. 
2) If the wrench requires adjustment to get it within spec this is a further £30+VAT. 
3) And if the wrench requires any new parts/spring this is also charged extra.
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 14:44
At work we find that wrenches are so cheap these days that if we need one for a certain job we include the cost of it in the job price rather than start shipping wrenches out for Calibration. New wrench comes with a years ticket for £30 - or so.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 14:52
Yeah, calibration of doesn't come cheap but nothing does when you need to charge labour as all commercial test houses do. I used to manage a QA department in an engineering company and calibration was a significant part of my budget. We outsourced some and did some in house. When we did it ourselves, we still needed to budget the labour to do it though as for some reason my guys wouldn't do it for free on their days off! And of course doing it yourself, you then need to have calibrated test equipment traceable to national reference standards to calibrate your kit against and doing that is even more expensive!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic