FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil leaking from exhaust slip joint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
londonsean69 View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil leaking from exhaust slip joint
    Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 15:36
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

You sure it's oil and not sooty water. For enough oil to be in the exhaust to drip out would mean it is  coming  from the exhaust ports in fairly large quantities. That would be very evident in huge plumes of smoke when the engine is running not just a blue trace.

If you have ever seen a car with a blown turbo, it would be akin to that in terms of smoke to produce that volume of oil that it is physically weeping from the exhaust.

No, I'm not sure, but when I first saw it, it was as a puddle on the floor, with a bit of a'sheen' to it.

I may well just refit the diaphragm and run her up to temperature, see if it burns off anything that has accumulated in the exhausts.
Cheers

Sean

A few of my pics - www.arrowpix.com
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 15:33
You sure it's oil and not sooty water. For enough oil to be in the exhaust to drip out would mean it is  coming  from the exhaust ports in fairly large quantities. That would be very evident in huge plumes of smoke when the engine is running not just a blue trace.

If you have ever seen a car with a blown turbo, it would be akin to that in terms of smoke to produce that volume of oil that it is physically weeping from the exhaust.

World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 13:53
I shall refill it and give those a go (won't be today though).

There is no oil in the little (plugged) drain tube coming from the bottom of the airbox.

It's all a bit of a pain really, although it's the first real issue I've had with it.
Cheers

Sean

colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 13:32
to totally rulle out the diaphragm letting oil through remove the vac hoses from the throttle bodies and place blanks over the holes on the throttlebodies and run ( do not blank the hoses off otherwise you may loose the action of your clutch by creating a vacuum in the hoses and holding the diaphragm and disengaging your clutch ) 
secondly is your engine breather to the air filter blocked ?
after trying these maybe you should get a compression check done ?

World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 12:54
OK, I have finally managed to get in the garage and have a look.

Drained all of the oil and whipped off the RH side casing, and extracted the diaphragm. No visible split, and there doesn't seem to be any oil on 'dry' side of the diaphragm. However, the large nut holding it on was barely tighter than hand tight - I managed to undo it without putting the bike in gear.
Also, the two metal discs that sandwich the diaphragm - how on earth do they come apart? The tiniest amount of pressure on the inner disc and it starts to deform.

I have the AP open airbox kit, so lifted the fuel tank - nothing to report, just a very light film of oil (not enough to make a fingertip wet with it.

Worringly, I only drained about 2 litres of oil from it, although I didn't manage to undo the drain bolt next to the oil filter - no idea how much more will be trapped in there - need a new 3/8" ratchet to undo it, as the 1/4" wasn't man enough.

So, unfortunately, I'm no closer to working out what is going on :(

Cheers

Sean

bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:46
let us know how you get on...
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 17:28
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Right hand side casing, about 10 small Allen bolts and gently lift the cover off as the diaphragm is also the gasket, if its split you'll see straight away, about a 20 min job to check.

You Sir, are a gent.

Cheers

Sean

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 17:25
When you shut the throttle vacuum from the tb's is used for the slipper clutch. Right hand side casing, about 10 small Allen bolts and gently lift the cover off as the diaphragm is also the gasket, if its split you'll see straight away, about a 20 min job to check.
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 17:20
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

The slipper clutches on these work off a rubber diaphragm in the right-hand case and uses vacuum from the throttle body, if this is split it could draw oil from the clutch into the throttle body?

Thanks for the quick reply

That sounds reasonably promising, and not quite as severe as the head gasket.
I am assuming that the amount of oil being drawn in means it isn't all being burnt off, hence the accumulation in the exhaust?

Is it reasonably easy to check? I'm OK with the spanners, about the only thing I won't do is anything that involves adjusting valves and timing!
Cheers

Sean

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 16:07
The slipper clutches on these work off a rubber diaphragm in the right hand case and uses vacuum from the throttle body, if this is split it could draw oil from the clutch into the throttle body?
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonsean69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 15:27
Afternoon all

I have, until now, been fortunate with the Tuono, in that the only issues have been of my own causing (crashing).

This has changed, yesterday evening I went to pop some air into the tyres to ready it for a ride this morning, and noticed a telltale small puddle of oil on the floor under the bike. I started it up, and sure enough, there was a small drip, and a coolant leak, so switched it off and decided I would use the wife's missile (GSXr-1000) to go out on.

So, took off the belly pan and gave everything a damn good clean, then fired her up.

The coolant is coming from a pinhole leak on one of the radiator hose - not the end of the world as I'll replace the entire set with silicone hoses. I need to replace the radiator anyway as it's bashed in following a crash a few years back.

The oil leak is a bit more worrying, coming from the slip joint between the front header pipe and the central manifold. The actual drip is coming out from inside the pipe and flowing along the slip joint, it is not running down the outside of the pipe from elsewhere.
There is some very light blue smoke from the exhausts. I did try to run it for a while to see if it would burn off, but the engine was at 110c and rising, so shut it off (assume the coolant is low, well, hoping, more than assuming).

The oil is definitely not overfilled, as the bike has been ridden several times since it was serviced.
Last time out on it was a decent length run in June, there were no apparent issues then.

My first port of call is going to be to replace the hoses (and all of the coolant, naturally enough.
I'm then going to change the oil to make sure it's not milky.

Any thoughts/ideas, as at the moment I'm simply praying it's not the head gasket. As it stands I can't ride it to check if it's down on power and I don't yet have a compression tester.

2008 Gen 2, about 28,000 miles, last major service showed all valve clearances to be well within limits.

Thanks in advance

Sean
Cheers

Sean

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic