rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Putting the bike to bed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Putting the bike to bed.
    Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 16:47
I know it's early, but I'm pretty much done for this year, my next 6 weekends are taken up with work, and other commitments so....
What do you guys recommend doing to put these animals to bed?
It's kept in a shed, I'm going to get a dehumidifier and plumb it to the outside world.

With regards to the bike, I'm thinking drain the tank, lift the tyres off the floor, clean the old crud off the chain and re grease.

Anything else I should be doing?
How do I go about avoiding a milleage reset? It's already had one

Jap bikes in the past I've stuck them on an optimate and left them be.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 17:15
Clean & polish.
Lube chain really REALLY well.
Up off the deck.
Little bit of air out of tyres.
Plenty of ACF50 (Except brakes.)
Put on optimate.
Cover with thin breathable dust sheet.
Lights out.
Beer o'clock.

legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 17:34
Re fuel tank either drain completely or totally brim it with premium fuel and some anti-ethanol additive. I use this (Others are available). Do they work, who knows but for a tenner they can't do any harm:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152331290167

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 18:21
Put it in one if these after doing all the above

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/test-category/motorcycle-vac-bag.html

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 18:38
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

Put it in one if these after doing all the above

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/test-category/motorcycle-vac-bag.html

I've not come across those before, they look cheap enough to be worth a punt. It would be nice to see some better photos or a video of one being fitted as the photos on the website do not work - they must use photobucket!

mitchgixer6 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 08:02
+1 for the vac bag. Really easy to use. Just wheel the bike in. Gather together the extra material at the hole end and stick the hoover hose in to get as much air out as possible. The moisture capture bag inside will deal with any moisture that might be in there. Used them a few times and the bike always comes out the same way it went in. If you're careful you can get a good few years use out of one. Just replacing the moisture bag.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by mitchgixer6 mitchgixer6 wrote:

+1 for the vac bag. If you're careful you can get a good few years use out of one. Just replacing the moisture bag.

That was my concern. The lack of photos and detail make me cautious about the quality. I guess you can't get the bike off the ground if you use one of these?
mitchgixer6 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchgixer6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 08:40
Yeah you can use a Paddock stand. It's pretty thick material but could probably rip if you're ham fisted
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:29
Cheers folks, how small do the Vac bags go? My shed isn't the biggest unfortunately, so thinking it may be a bit big.

I'll get these little bits done over the next week or so

I hate not riding but the winter weather just doesn't interest me.
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:16
Put it in the living room next to the radiator - sorted, get a beer and sit and admire it, better that most TV sh*te IMHO.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 14:19
Originally posted by bladebod bladebod wrote:

Put it in the living room next to the radiator - sorted, get a beer and sit and admire it, better that most TV sh*te IMHO.

Ooh yes, second this 😁
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 15:33
It's what I do.
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 18:02
I used those vac bags before I bought a house with an adjoining garage.
The bags are large, but you need large to wheel the bike into it, and as said, you scrunch up the end and suck out a lot of the air anyway. I used a slab of wood between the stand and the poly bag to prevent holing it.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 20:44
Ha hahahahah,my mises says" where's his sofa"? "I said where do you think he took the bloody picture dumbo"!
I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 07:53
Originally posted by Shyted Shyted wrote:

Ha hahahahah,my mises says" where's his sofa"? "I said where do you think he took the bloody picture dumbo"!

Hahaha yeah lying on it with.that angle.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 08:02
Don't know why but when I upload from my phone the pics always turn sideways.
Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 13:06
Found slight saving on above fuel stabiliser if yer getting it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282452686513?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 14:07
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Don't know why but when I upload from my phone the pics always turn sideways.

Try lying on your side, to take photo's?
Question everything.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 14:20
Didn't Nickyboy have the opposite to the vac bag?

A lot more expensive, though I've not looked around.

Not sure if he used it for it's correct purpose, or if he had his harem of Akropovics in there.

http://www.carcoon.com.au/browse/bike-bubbles/
Question everything.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 09:04
Those bubbles are great if expensive. My mates got one he keeps his classic 50's Chevy in, works brilliantly
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 08:21
Originally posted by bladebod bladebod wrote:

If only I was able to get it into the house, I've got a perfect dining room that does nothing.

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 08:23
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

Didn't Nickyboy have the opposite to the vac bag?

A lot more expensive, though I've not looked around.

Not sure if he used it for it's correct purpose, or if he had his harem of Akropovics in there.

http://www.carcoon.com.au/browse/bike-bubbles/

A friend of mine has a mk1 golf GTI in one, lovely bit of kit, unfortunately until I move house and have a garage it's a no go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic