rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend a good read

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyisavinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend a good read
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:26
I read Guy Martins autobiography recently - I quite enjoyed it.

What bike related books have you read and would recommend?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:32
Jamie whitham's what a good do, been out a long time but it's funny.
andyisavinit View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyisavinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:43
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

Jamie whitham's what a good do, been out a long time but it's funny.

That sounds promising. Good to see him back at bsb too after his illness.
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 12:47
Pocket Rocket by Haslam, very good, also Rossi autobiography, Guy Martins books always good. Ive read a few, Barry Sheenes book is excellent...

Tin Man View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tin Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 14:08
Michael Dunlops is alright
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 14:44
I enjoyed these 2

The Long Ride Home and Running Towards the Light

met the author at the bike show and bought a copy off him of the first book thenn bought the 2nd a while later .

summary

Nathan and Dorothy have enjoyed a special relationship over the years. Dorothy is getting up there in years, but after she retired from the Australian Postal service, she was still going strong and joined Nathan as he traversed around the world. They’ve been very close, travelling together from Sydney to London, covering 23,000 miles, through 18 countries in 9 months, with only THREE DAYS PLANNING! How is that even possible? Then a few years later, Dorothy put her trust in Nathan again and they rode across America in 3 and a half months, through Canada and the United States travelling 8,000 miles. Oh, did we mention that Dorothy is a ‘postie bike’, a 2004 Honda CT110 used to deliver the mail in Australia? That’s right. In this story about a guy who seems to like to jump in with both feet and just go for it, we hear all about Nathan Millward’s adventures with dependable Dorothy

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 19:07
Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 20:12
Originally posted by FTM FTM wrote:

Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

hahahaaaa..you'll be disappointed if you expect to find any serious reference to motorcycles LOL
Good read though.

Catch 22's alright.
pantata View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pantata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 20:14
Had 2 goes at reading Zen.... but found it hard going, might just give it another go next holiday.
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 20:50
Nah...don't.
Heavy going, and after struggling my way through, not sure I  understood what Pursig was getting at, other than rediscovering his past alter ego. 

Scores on the doors...5/10
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:01
Loved it meself, read it many times. Pirsig (forget his name in the book) has a Honda and his mate with the dripping tap has a BMW. Wink

His next book though, Lila or Layla or summat, now that is heavy going and I never finished it after many attempts.
RSV Stefan View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSV Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 18:16
I read Ian Hutchinson's autobiography when on holiday recently, quite enjoyed it.....probably dramatised to a degree but jeez he has had some tough times with his inuries over the years.
andyisavinit View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyisavinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 21:43
Originally posted by RSV Stefan RSV Stefan wrote:

I read Ian Hutchinson's autobiography when on holiday recently, quite enjoyed it.....probably dramatised to a degree but jeez he has had some tough times with his inuries over the years.

yeh there was a good documentary about hutchy too. After watching it I have even more appreciation and respect for what he does on a bike.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 21:49
Originally posted by andyisavinit andyisavinit wrote:

yeh there was a good documentary about hutchy too. After watching it I have even more appreciation and respect for what he does on a bike.

+1

Completely agree. After watching what he went through to recover from the leg injuries he deserves top respect.
kawaman21 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawaman21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 20:59
Feel by Freddie Spencer was a good read,not the normal racers bio,more of a look at the man's mental outlook,amd bit of a breakdown,sounds bad but it was interesting.
an auzum twin
roboxm3 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roboxm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 10:53
Stealing Speed is a good and easy read; about a guy applying 2-stroke technology to WW2 rockets and vice versa.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:00
I have that book but look how much it's going for now.
roboxm3 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roboxm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 11:38
What's that all about??
I enjoyed it but I didn't expect to be able to profit from it!! haha

426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 12:13
Hard back is £20 upwards, seen some people asking £60+ depending if it's in print or not.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 14:48
Is that the book by Matt Oxley?

roboxm3 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roboxm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 14:53
That's the one...
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 15:01
Might have to look in to that then.
Lammy View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 14:49
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but if you wish to get Mat Oxley's work, the going straight to him gets you a new book at list price. Top notch!
http://matoxley.bigcartel.com/
Also, bit of a curveball but Damon Hill's autobiography is interesting; started out on bikes doing racing at brands, a bit of proam etc, all good stuff.
2008 Tuono 1000R in Orange
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic