rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

370 watt stator And rough running

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 370 watt stator And rough running
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 20:21
Hi, I'm thinking my stator is shot as its only measuring 12-18 volts AC across the three yellow wires when revved to 4k.

Problem is mine is a 2011 gen2 which I'm informed was fitted with the later 370 watt stator.

My question is, is there anywhere that supplies these stators 2p opposed to buying genuine Aprilia as they are so expensive.

Also I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the part number.

My bike is running rough and it was like a misfire. I've had this problem on and off ever since my ex mechanic removed the throttle bodies and disconnected the electrics to do a valve clearance service. I changed the plugs and fitted new plug connectors along with a new throttle position sensor plug.   Took the bike for a run and it was amazing for two proper rides. Fetched the bike home washed it and put it away for two days. Got it out on the following Sunday and the rough running / misfire was back.

I am totally bamboozled. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have never had any starting or charging problems with the bike and it always starts first time even if I leave it for 2 weeks with the alarm on.

The only reason I'm thinking my stator isn't working is because of the low voltage across the three phases. When I start the bike the dash voltage meter shows 14.1 when it's warmed up this drops to 13.

I'm not 100% convinced it's my stator at fault and welcome any ideas on anything else to check or test before I buy a new stator.

Sorry for the long post, just pulling my hair out with this bike and getting ready to sell, which is a shame because on the rare occasions it has worked properly, I love it.

Jay.
JazzyJay71 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:00
I've since found out that you do the stator AC test with the brown connector disconnected, is this correct? If so then I'll have to de solder mine as a previous owner has taken the brown plug out and soldered the wires together.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:01
I'm also gonna check the dash for fault codes.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:04
Also want to add that before the bike went to my ex mechanic for the valve clearance service, it was perfect with no issues. So I'm wondering if he could have damaged some wiring or connector or knocked the throttle bodies out of balance or altered the tps somehow, but don't know if this would cause problems similar to mine.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:21
Vacuum pipes dislodged somehow etc

Call the shop speak to griff numbers at the top of the page

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:46
Both vacuum pipes replaced with new. It's already booked in with Griff for 2 weeks on Monday, just trying to do a bit of self diagnosis.   Just not convinced it's the stator 2p the bike ran perfect when I replaced the plugs, plug caps and tps plug. Surely if it was stator, I would have battery charging and starting issues and I don't have that at all.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:47
Thinking I've got a bad connector or broken wire somewhere, just like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:58
For the staotr/charging systen, Griff did a video on this nad how to check a month or so ago. Check out the AP Youtube channel.

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 23:14
Fuel pump harness making and breaking?

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 05:17
I will check that tonight when I get home from work.

I've tried to find the you tube videos but so far I can't find them, can anyone post a link please?
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 09:06
Here you go:

kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 09:08
A very quick test (bit harder for you as you will need to cut the wires first)

With a meter set to 200 vac you need to check across the 3 wires.

wire 1 -> wire 2
wire 1 -> wire 3
wire 2 -> wire 3

You should get around 60-70 vac across each one.

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 11:38
Cool, thank you for that, I will do the check tonight and post up the results.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 19:52
OK so test results.

DC test at battery with engine running
14.1v when cold
13.5v when warm

AC test at brown connector
1-2 50v at 3000rpm 61v at 4000rpm
2-3 48v at 3000rpm 60v at 4000rpm
1-3 51v at 3000rpm 62v at 4000rpm

I'm guessing this means my stator isn't shagged, which has made me smile a little lol.

I'm hoping I got the wire test sequence correct as somebody already cut the brown connector off and I have no way of knowing which is wire 1, 2 or 3. Does it actually matter as long as all 3 phases are tested?

Even tho I'm guessing the stator is OK, I'm still left scratching my head at this problem. I must have a loose wire or connector somewhere. Needle in a haystack comes to mind.

Any further suggestions are welcome lol.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 19:54
Just want to add, Griff says my bike should be fitted with the later 380watt stator assembly as it is after 2009 and not the famous 500 watt one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic