rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel starvation !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel starvation !!
    Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 21:30
Hi Guys,   Just a quick brief description of what was happening to my 06 Factory today.

It would seem to be some sort of fuel starvation,  I got on the M25  / M3 today and for the first few miles everything was kosher, then she started to play up, pushing along at 80 / 85 she wants to stop , ie that noise you get when you've run out of fuel, the tank was half full btw, within about 2 to 3 secs she kicks back to life, this was happening every few miles or so.

I pushed on to Southampton and was going to call out recovery but thought I'd run her back to Surrey, I filled her up and off we went, lo and behold the same sh*t all the way back to Chertsey, I'm going up and down the gear box, 50 mph to 85 - 90 mph , she wants to die so it's back to 55 - 60 mph and she kicks back in again, did my friggin head in all the way home.

My take is that there is something fowling the fuel line /s, sh*te in the tank etc,  but could it be anything else ?  btw I do have a pair of SPEngineering cans on but I don't think the slip-ons have anything to do with it as she has been behaving until now. 

Your thoughts guys please. 
It's not the speed that kills you, it's the sudden stop
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 22:00
Check the fuel lines inside the tank to see if they have splits.
Andy Higham View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Higham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 22:11
Try flipping the cap open, if it behaves then there is a tank breather blocked

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 22:54
Clogged intank fuel filters

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 00:10
Plus one on the fuel filters had exactly the same problem put a new t bag filter in and sorted the issue.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 07:14
Excellent response, thankyou very much guys,  she'll be coming apart later today,  I shall post a reply once I've found  / rectified the problem.

Cheers 
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 13:10
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Plus one on the fuel filters had exactly the same problem put a new t bag filter in and sorted the issue.

Don't anyone take this the wrong way...

But when I saw Adams teabag, it was minging LOL
Question everything.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 14:52
Originally posted by Diablo Diablo wrote:

Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Don't anyone take this the wrong way...

But when I saw Adams teabag, it was minging LOL

Shhhh I thought that was between us
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 18:29
Put a new filter in today, got one from Halfrauds HFF 232 which didn't have the hole for the earth wire so tucked it under the jubilee clip at the bottom of the filter, fuel back in the tank and fired her up, a slight pauseu until the fuel was running and no immediate problems. Will have to wait now until the weekend to put her through her paces and see if the filter was the problem, btw the filtdr I removed was a grey almost round thing with FIAMM stamped on it which I assume was the original part, if it is it's been in there since 06, so probably due a change,
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 20:37
Did you check the T bag filter in the base of the pump while it was out?

Those have been known to gum up and get clogged with crap
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 20:57
Pants, no I didn't. Anyway I'll find out at the weekend if its the filter, if the problem is still there then I'll check out the pump filter, is it actually called a t bag filter ?
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 21:31

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 23:44
Thanks Redrat,   An Interesting read, the Italians certainly do things differently.
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 16:09
Right, that didn't work, so it's empty tank , remove pump and replace T Bag filter.

If it isn't the filter and or the pump, what would be next to look at ? 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 16:48
Originally posted by Alien One Alien One wrote:

Right, that didn't work, so it's empty tank , remove pump and replace T Bag filter.

If it isn't the filter and or the pump, what would be next to look at ? 

I'd say do that first then worry about what else it could be. The link RR posted is the bike I bought and although the previous owner did everything you read he must of knackered the new pump somehow because I fitted a 2nd hand unit and got the bike running but I didn't check the T bag. First proper ride and she played up so stripped it down and fitted the brand new t bag that I took out of the knackered pump and it's been fine ever since. Take your time and double check everything.
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 20:50
Cheers badapple, 

I take it the tbag filter will be an OEM part ?  I've looked at a few site but can't actually find a part number for the filter, and it only seems to come as part of a fuel pump kit.

This fuel starvation malarkey kicked in about 20 mins into my ride, I opened her out to around 80mph and she seemed fine , then she started to play up.  nearly had 2 offs as I was leant over a cpl of roundabouts , and almost went into the back of a Merc as she had died then kicked in again causing me to lunge forward.    I thought it best to nurse her home after that.

Thanks again buddy , fingers crossed it is a gunged up filter and nothing more serious. 
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 20:39
Took the t bag filter out and surprise surprise it wasn't too bad, what was bad wax ghe amount of crud and what looked like deposits of gel, this was under the filter and sitting in the recessex on the base,
I've got a new filter coming anyway.
Can someone please point out the injectors for me, I have an idea but want to be sure I'm removing the correct part, I thoughg seeing as I'm sorting what I hope is only a fueling problem I may as well clean the injectors too,
Alien One View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alien One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 06:48
New t bag filter fitted ,  took her out on sunday for a blast and happy to report no problems, ran like she should, was it the filter ? or the amount of sh*te and jelly type deposits sitting on the base ? who knows.  
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 07:42
Originally posted by Alien One Alien One wrote:

New t bag filter fitted ,  took her out on sunday for a blast and happy to report no problems, ran like she should, was it the filter ? or the amount of sh*te and jelly type deposits sitting on the base ? who knows.  
superb result had a very strong feeling the filter was the problem congratulations on getting it sorted
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic