rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting off at idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting off at idle
    Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:58
Hi guys,

I am just trying to get some help on my cutting off issue. It's an 2008 RSV1000R, bike is cutting off at IDLE only. When the revs are at the lowest. 

So far i've checked. 

• Charging checked
  • Vacuum leaks + hoses checked
  • Inlet manifold (hoses not perfect but that’s not the problem) AP0267151
  • Throttle Bodies cleaned
  • IAC Valve checked
  • Air Screws checked
  • Spark plugs replaced
Any suggestions now what else should be checked before I will loose my patience with it.... Appreciate all help. 

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 16:33
Obvious question but, is your idle speed set high enough?
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 16:37
Can't be altered on the gen2. I had a similar issue and it was the beginning of the end for the stator. However when I called ap griff said to check the little white disc in the airbox offside is clean as this will cause the bike to cut out if it's dirty or blocked. It's the sensor for the stepper motor I believe worth a look.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 20:32
Originally posted by badapple badapple wrote:

Can't be altered on the gen2. I had a similar issue and it was the beginning of the end for the stator. However when I called ap griff said to check the little white disc in the airbox offside is clean as this will cause the bike to cut out if it's dirty or blocked. It's the sensor for the stepper motor I believe worth a look.

Thank fuk I've got a simple as Gen 1!!
Good luck sorting it.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:03
There's a lot to be said for the simpler Gen1 electronics,I recall Micah on AF1 saying he much prefers the earlier bikes for that reason.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:26
Thanks for the answers, airbox is clean, stator and coil is brand new and charging is at high level.

Where can I find this sensor for the stepper motor ? Will good tune up and mapping check sort his out ? 

Thanks,
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:42

Have you checked the compression ? It could be one of the cylinders is weak and need repair ?
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:53
Ahh please, don't do this to me
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:59
Bike pulls like a rocket and as far as I am not on the traffic lights with throttle down there is no problems at all.... 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 03:11
The stepper motor controls the idle so could be your problem. Lift the tank and as you sit on the bike you will see two black pipes and a plug going to the stepper motor on the rhs. Check the pipes are fully seated and the plug is correctly seated. It could be that simple. Are you getting any codes up in,diagnosis mode?
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 09:26
IAC has been checked and that's not the problem. I've posted a list in my first post. 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2017 at 10:28
If the idle drops too low causing the cutout then it's likely vac related. If the idle speed is normal and the bike just randomly cuts out without warning i would think it's ignition related. Any kind of spark hickup at idle will be enough to stall it even though you may not feel it in use.

Have a good look at the plug leads/cap etc.
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:27
swopped ecu,  throttle bodies,  tank and pump switch gears,  ignition coils pick up and cam sensor. Map sensors and air bleed system,  ignition relay and tps, No leaks on the little black tubes, Little white disc swopped, Plug leads and caps swopped....  STILL CUTTING OFF !!!! help help help
MountainMan View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:41
Jesus, it's like Trigger's broom. Does it always do it or only when hot? Or cold for that matter?
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 13:16
It starts on the button when cold, 10 seconds letter cutts off.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 13:24
If it's doing it cold, it's possible it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor as it affects ignition and fueling. And it's about the only sensor you haven't swapped out so worth a punt.
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 13:33
At this point I am willing to try anything, as it is becoming very worrying. I will check that coolant temp sensor and If this won't help, I will check the compression as someone here mentioned before. Any other ideas ? Anyone had similar issue ? 
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MountainMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 13:55
Hmm...does the gen2 have the vacuum slipper clutch. Possible perfect storm of knackered one way valve and gasket or diaphragm? Just thinking out loud now tbh as it would surely cause an air bleed to the throttle bodies. Though I reckon your issue is most likely not enough fuel or not enough spark.
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by MountainMan MountainMan wrote:

If it's doing it cold, it's possible it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor as it affects ignition and fueling. And it's about the only sensor you haven't swapped out so worth a punt.

Both, hot and cold.
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 21:23
Can valve clearance be a cause ? 
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 16:50
Anyone has more ideas what to do ? 
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 17:17
Have you given AP a ring to see what they advise?
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 17:39

+1 on ap ....

My old 851 ducrapi would do this if the injection was not syncronised....
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 17:57
Had similar symptoms on my gen 2 Tuono. Switching to the correct map and TB balance cured it (done by AP)
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 18:01

That's what I was trying to say. Throttle bodies balance, v twins are very prone to this....
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 14:38
Lots of helpful stuff there, have you had the Co2 done recently
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 16:53
Yes, we have been talking to Griff in AP. He recommended few things but that was pretty much checked before.

I haven't done Co2 done recently and I haven't change maps. I have no access to APRILIA dealer here in Ireland. 

Originally posted by wilko wilko wrote:

Had similar symptoms on my gen 2 Tuono. Switching to the correct map and TB balance cured it (done by AP)

Could you explain the process please ? Where did you had that done ? 
wilko View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 19:20
The entire process was carried out by Griff at AP on their Bridgewater service away day. He's got the right diagnostic tool to sort the correct engine map variant and then he went on to balance the throttle bodies after the engine had cooled sufficiently. The difference in engine performance was unreal, and the cutting out at idle stopped
Para View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Para Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 19:36
Thanks Wilko, I guess i will be sending my bike to Griff then. 
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 07:55
There must be a garage with an axone machine in Ireland??? It's a specific tool but I can't imagine no one else has access to one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic