rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Head Gasket Blown.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Head Gasket Blown.
    Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 15:59
After finishing rebuild a few weeks ago bike (2000'Mille) has been doing short 15 mile runs , with no issues  , on a subsequent longer run temp hit 120 on a duel carriageway shut her down with fans running and nursed her home in cooling stages , striped of the fairing and noticed the overflow was filling up and bubbling , next day dumped all the coolant , checked the impeller -OK , took the thermostat  off and did some immersion tests - working OK , so just to test I bypassed it with a strait bit of hose , refilled the coolant and whent for a couple of test rides , with no thermostat at 50mph I was getting about 65-70 on the temp , BUT the overflow was still filling up and bubbling and I also noticed the coolant pipes were bloating until I took the cap off which released the pressure with a splash of frothy coolant I havent seen any signs of oil in the coolant at all as of yet.
Engine is its old noisy self but dose seem to be running a bit rough as the temp increases and the revs , I suspect that it may be one or both head gaskets but as im not an expert I would appreciate some other opinions.

Cheers. 
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 17:22
Sounds like gasket but I would see if u can borrow a sniffer or take your bike to a garage with one. It will show if there is hydrocarbons in the water
jafa View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 18:51
Cheers , ill have a ring round on monday see if there is anyone local , also seen those testube type block testers - what do you think.
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 11:58
get a radiator pressure tester and fit where rad cap goes, start engine and watch for pressure going beyond the max marked on the cap, observe how pressure rises (eg does the gauge "pulse" with engine running) Steady rise in pressure beyond recommended value will indicate cylinder pressure pumping into water jacket.
jafa View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:57
Just done two "block tester "- tests this morning , one with engine hot and one with it cooled down , both times the fluid turned from blue to yellow , guess I kinda new this already as I could smell exhaust gases in the coolant as it was bubbling away , checked the plugs and fronts are there usual carboned selves but the rears are looking a bit cleaner , dont know what to do , bike is booked in with AP  on sept 8th , Griff was sure it couldn't be a head gasket , but to me this seems pretty conclusive.

Anyone got a good cheap engine for saleConfused  

Cheers
Jafa
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 14:04
Gen1 being broken in parts for sale section.
Olie View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 16:44
I think in one of AP's recent YouTube vids Griff shows some engines he's got hold of.
jafa View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jafa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 20:13
"UPDATE" - went down to AP and bought a engine off Griff for £500 , spent all of yesterday cleaning it as its probably the dirtiest engine ive come across in many years , today I did the engine swap what a ball ache , this will be the fourth time ive done an engine removal and refit on this bike and it doesn't get any easier , tomorrow will be refitting everything else and hopefully first run up to see exactly what ive got.

Cheers
Jafa. 
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 20:23

Let's hope it fixes it
kiwi_rsvr View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
EX Dr Frankie Stein (splitter)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi_rsvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 20:34
Fingers crossed jafa, Ive done it 3 times :-)
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 21:02
Good luck fella
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic