rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Ride Outs / Meets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to expand my horizon... Any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to expand my horizon... Any advice?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 22:31
I'm planning a ride either Monday or Tuesday depending on the weather.
I live in Swindon and so far I've only explored the surrounding area, my favourite route being a morning blast through the Cotswolds (Cricklade - Cirencester - Seven Springs - Stroud - Nailsworth - Avening - Malmesbury - Cricklade) and back home in time for lunch.
This time I'd like to put a couple of sandwiches in the backpack and go a little bit further. Any suggestions? I was thinking Cheddar Gorge maybe? It's about one hour and a half away from home...
What I'm looking for is as many bends as possible. The twistier the better.
Of course, if anyone wanted to join me/meet at some point that would be awesome!
Nic
colinmeadows View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmeadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 13:26
get yourself over brecon . here ends the conversation !!!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 13:54
And for proper roads head up into N Wales Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 18:58
This is what I've done before.... get road map out and set a compass to 50,60 miles or what ever and draw circle out from your home , see what roads etc come within etc ? But as you live in Cotswold area you are spoilt ????
Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 14:01
Originally posted by snowman snowman wrote:

This is what I've done before.... get road map out and set a compass to 50,60 miles or what ever and draw circle out from your home , see what roads etc come within etc ? But as you live in Cotswold area you are spoilt ????

Yeah, I can't complain actually. I guess that having been used to riding in the Alps until I moved to the UK three years ago, I sometimes miss the properly twisty bits, with hairpins and mountain passes for as long as one wanted, but the Cotswolds offer a lot of very nice rides as well, don't get me wrong!
I just fancied something wilder/twistier this time.
Nic
Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 14:02
Originally posted by colinmeadows colinmeadows wrote:

get yourself over brecon . here ends the conversation !!!

Brecon Beacons it is!
Thanks for the advice!
Nic
Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 14:06
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

North Wales and the Isle of Man are definitely in my bucket list, but I think they require a sleepover/weekend in order to be savored as they deserve.
Nic
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 14:26
That's the downside of course,plus if you plan it in advance you're stuck with whatever the weather throws at you

Much better sometimes to just look out of the window and go

I have a mate who only used to want to ride local then he got a Mutleystrada. Now his idea of a ride from N Wales is a quick blast to Scarborough/Whitby area and back home for tea Confused

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 19:37

That's the downside of course,plus if you plan it in advance you're stuck with whatever the weather throws at you

Much better sometimes to just look out of the window and go

I have a mate who only used to want to ride local then he got a Mutleystrada. Now his idea of a ride from N Wales is a quick blast to Scarborough/Whitby area and back home for tea Confused

Wow! I'd say he definitely broadened his range of action!
I have to say that sometimes I wouldn't mind something a bit comfier than my "wooden plank-set up" Tuono for those longer rides. For example, a well kept VFR v-tec can be had for around £2,500 nowadays.
Just today I was talking about it with the wife and to my surprise she seemed very supportive of the idea... That's until she realised I meant having it TOGETHER with the Tuono and not INSTEAD of it. After that the conversation ended pretty quickly!
Nic
Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 16:46
Well, I'm back from the Brecon Beacons and what a beautiful beautiful part of the world they are! Unfortunately, the weather wasn't on my side, but I was well equipped and the rain wasn't enough to stop me from appreciating the natural beauties Wales has to offer, and I'm not just talking about the scenery!
Definitely a place I intend to visit again.
Nic
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 17:29
So it was the Welsh sheep that caught your eye thenWink

You'll soon be taken for a nativeLOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Nic77 View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 18:14
Nic
longer View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:34
Only just registered on here, when the weather improves give me a shout. Cheddar is not far from me (15 mins) and I make it a regular ride in the summer!
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 21:27

And mid Wales
born ugly what's your excuse!!
Shyted View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 20:49

Oh yes,start at Builth wells come up the A470 to the A44 , towards Aberistwyth,Cut through on the A4159 to Bow Street turning right onto the  A487 to Machynellth. Then the A489 toward Abergwydol , onto Glantwymyn turning right ont the A 470 back dow to Builth.
True wonderment of tarmac techknology. Just remember that Dibble patrols these roads even on rainy days.
I used to be uncertain , but now i'm not sure anymore
cwp View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 19:01
Yes nice road Shyted. My back yard lol.or head to Newtown from Machynlleth and take the mountain road from Newtown to Llandrindod over dolfor/ Crossgates and then Llandrindod to builth on back road. As you said watch out for plod especially around Aberystwyth (unmarked cars)
born ugly what's your excuse!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic