rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Front Brake locked up after fitting ASV Leaver!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front Brake locked up after fitting ASV Leaver!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Brake locked up after fitting ASV Leaver!
    Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 18:36
Hi, I fitted new leavers to my 2008 Tuono yesterday and riding home today my front brake locked up! Luckily I was accelerating at the time not going to fast! I managed to remove the leaver at the side of the road which released the front pads from the discs. I rode home carefully using the pretty useless back brake. Not a fun experience!

I have looked at the pushrod barrel supplied part no BRC555-B and compared to original, I also mated it upto master cylinder and it quite clearly doesn't mate up the same as the original. The drilled hole is not as deep!

Have I got the right pushrod barrel or am I doing something wrong. Bike is 2008 Tuono r?

ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 19:25
Can't see where I can edit post! Spelt Levers wrong and I want to add a picture?
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 19:57
Your brake is over adjusted, it requires about 2-3mm of free play before the lever makes contact with the plunger. 
I had to take a smidgeon off my plunger when I fitted my CRG's.
ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 20:03
Is there anyway of adjusting the free play without taking a smidgeon off the plunger? I have resorted to replacing the ASV leaver with the original and am worried it might happen again and I might not be so lucky!
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 21:33
ISTR that the only way to get sufficient clearance was to take a bit off the plunger.
Obviously, don't ride it until you've done this.
There are several reports of front brakes locking with disastrous results. 

ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 21:40
Fitted original back on and bled front brake. Have emailed Asv, don't think I should have to remove material from the plunger!
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 22:01
Make sure your reservoir has enough room in for fluid expansion as well buddy. I'm running about a 3rd full or so.

I've got short ASV's on radial masters and they were pretty much spot on out of the box, the brake side pin and barrel should be OK and is non adjustable.

It sounds like maybe when your brake fluid has got hot and expanded, if the reservoir is too full of fluid, it's had nowhere to expand to, so pushes the caliper pistons and pads, onto the disc instead. Worth a check.

I think it was Spoonz that was saying there should be about 10mm free play at the end of the (standard length?) lever??

Be very careful until you know it's 100% buddy
Question everything.
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 22:07
10mm of lever tip play is for the clutch m/c to get the right bite point.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 22:17
Well I got it half right ha ha LOL
Question everything.
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 05:49
Where did you buy them from? I'm sure there will be fake Chinese knock off copies out there but if you got them direct from ASV then they should be okay.
ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 06:51
Sportsbikeshop.co.uk so would expect to be genuine!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 09:25
You'd hope so wouldn't you

I'm using shorty ones from the Land of the Chrysanthemum on both my bikes,the ones fitted to the Mille were BikeIt branded and fitted perfectly as supplied,but the latest pair I found for the Gen2 T ( same master cylinder mind) would have put some pressure on the piston at rest just like you found

As designed the brake side is non adjustable,unlike the clutch so any small differences in hole spacing in the lever body will have a big say in the operation

I slightly deepened the counterbore in the barrel so I got minimal clearance on the plunger at rest,but no wasted lever movement

Excellent outcome,well pleased   Thanks Ray  Thumbs Up

I work in the manufacturing industry with CNC machining centres and in spite of what people will have you believe it's very easy to get ( cough, um, abnormalities Embarrassed) when running large batches of components as nobody does 100% inspection

I laugh when I see Cnc'd as a selling point,it's mass production by an unskilled button pusher and sod the precision usually

Give me hand made by a craftsman over machine made any day

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 13:41
All to do with adjustment, had bother with my Pazzo short lever on the clutch side, fitted every thing exactly as in old lever but wouldn't disengage , so had to fiddle with it till it came good .
ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 13:53
Problem is there is no adjustment on the brake side.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 16:38
Unless you can blag one of those CNC mills for a few minutes a drill bit is your best bet

Go gently and check often Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 17:20
If you pay for expensive levers you expect them to fit! Not impressed ASV! 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 18:51
Indeed

Big up for the Chinese then,same sh*t but a fraction of the price Wink

Worth a call looking for a refund maybe?
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 19:58
I'd definitely be looking for a replacement set or cash back. I had to change my levers last week due to a certain incident so I dug an old pair of special fry ones out of the parts bucket 10mins later all good they have done me well fitted to 3 bikes over 7 years and still work very well much better than standard levers and all for 20 quid. Don't knock the cheap alternative they're pretty decent only bettered by the full monty mc's and levers from accosato but they set me back 370 quid!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 20:47
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

Excellent outcome,well pleased   Thanks Ray  Thumbs Up

No problem Ian, glad your happy. How did the clutch one work out?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 21:25
That one was fine thanks,although I think I may have played with the adjustable rod a little?  Can't remember now tbh

I think the Alzheimers is kicking in Confused

Nice milled from solid levers though,identical to the Bikeit ones but minus the branding so obviously massed produced and sold by many,good kit though

The only thing I will say about the cheap levers compared to Brembo originals is the lack of a bushing on the pivot screw,this seems to be common on all the ones I've seen

Mind you if they are lubricated and checked regularly this is not an issue,and even if they do wear at that price point one can just get another pair for a few quid
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 11:50
Any progress yet ? Let us know the outcome?
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 14:00
Are you running axial or radial masters?

If you're using radial, I could take my ASV brake lever off and measure the pin for you, see if yours is the same?

Question everything.
ianv5 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianv5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 06:25
Hi, radial.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 10:10
Have they been changed then?    I thought all the 2008 Tuono's used radial calipers with axial masters and only the Rsv's using radial masters?

That's certainly the case with my 2008 T
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:29
Axial M/C on all 06 > 09 Tuono's as standard
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 11:58
Yep mine same as yours IanG 09 Tuono ,.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic