rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > V4 Tuono > V4 Tuono.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

v4 run in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: v4 run in
    Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 21:56
im currwntly running in an engine on my 2017 tuono factory. It has only done 120 miles and I accidentally missed a gear when riding and the revs went to 12k! Obviously a new engine shouldn't go past 6k. Have a done any permanent damage? Or will it be OK?
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 22:00

It will be okay. Ride it like you stole it. Modern engines don't need running in .....
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 22:13
Hmmm. Had a similar incident myself. Dealer said its very bad. Engine might not last long 
grahamives View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 22:53
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

It will be okay. Ride it like you stole it. Modern engines don't need running in .....

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all
dan1987 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 09:12
so nothing to worry about then?
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 10:05
Is it true they actually run them in at the factory? An nowerdays the running in period is really just to make sure they don't fall apart 
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 12:10
Engines don't need much running in , some people thrash em from new a don't get problems . I say better to rev than labour an engine .
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 14:32
All bikes are run on a diag machine before they leave the factory but it's not a run in as such. The 6k thing has more to do with new owners taking it easy than anything else. You will get a stronger engine and less oil consumption if you work it a bit harder and bed the rings in early. Don't rev it's nuts off or labour it but spirited roll on using the meat of the rev range.
dan1987 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 15:43
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

All bikes are run on a diag machine before they leave the factory but it's not a run in as such. The 6k thing has more to do with new owners taking it easy than anything else. You will get a stronger engine and less oil consumption if you work it a bit harder and bed the rings in early. Don't rev it's nuts off or labour it but spirited roll on using the meat of the rev range.

brilliant, thank you for the explanation. put my mind at rest!
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 16:50
What if he accidentally pulled away in 2ND at some lights? Is that putting the engine under load?

So far the run in process has been some motorways, 70mph in 6th for longish periods of time. The occasional hard accelerate through the gears up to 6k rpm in some twisties. Used the quickshifter a handful of times.

And the single occasion where a gear was missed, the revs went freely up to 12k for a split second.

Bike currently on 225 miles. Has damage been done or does the next 300 miles need to be different ?
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 09:49
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Exactly this. Labouring is far worse. Warm them up, ride them enthusiastically and get the 600 mile service done to clear the old swarf/oil out

After that upto 12k and enjoy. I would ride it above 6k but keep less than 10k and ideally 8-9k being max for first few hundred miles without too pull pinning it
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 09:54
What is labouring?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:03
Originally posted by Dan110017 Dan110017 wrote:

What is labouring?

Running a high gear and low revs so that the bike is working hard.  If it feels like the bike isn't really pulling and lags when you open the throttle until it gets a bit more revs then that is labouring.

Use the gears to keep the revs up a bit essentially.
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:15
Ah OK, think I've only done this 2/3 times, where I've got the gear wrong. Didn't get any juddering though, just wasn't the ideal gears. This was about 80-150 miles on the odo

IL be taking it out later and will go up to 8/9k with firm but progressive acceleration
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:24
Saying that, at no point was I below 3/4k revs so it could of just felt different as I'm new to v4's. So actually, they isn't a concern.

The only remaining concern is pulling away from traffic lights in 2ND. That probably lugged it.

This only happened once! Damn I need to get used to this bike.

Hopefully, some hard riding later will clean the slate of the error??
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:31
Originally posted by Dan110017 Dan110017 wrote:

Saying that, at no point was I below 3/4k revs so it could of just felt different as I'm new to v4's. So actually, they isn't a concern.

The only remaining concern is pulling away from traffic lights in 2ND. That probably lugged it.

This only happened once! Damn I need to get used to this bike.

Hopefully, some hard riding later will clean the slate of the error??

It would have to be something you do a lot to be a problem, the odd missed gear or pulling away in 2nd won't hurt it.
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:44
Cheers pal. Feeling much relieved.

Now, time to get it higher in the rev range! Currently at 225 miles so should open it up nicely
Sabre View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ex Copper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 08:48
Spoony is absolutely right. I ran mine in in exactly the same way. Dont be too worried about the odd bit of labouring or even high reving. Just keep it spinning between 4 and 7 k and you will be fine.

benx View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 09:07
dan110017, you should get in touch with dan1987. Looks like you both have similar issues
Tifa View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien
I am Sparticus, only uglier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 10:22
Bit late for April 1st aren't we?
LOL
Dan110017 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan110017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 14:54
Same person technically, I couldn't log in, sorted now though
Thunderpants1100 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 09:49
Originally posted by Birky_D Birky_D wrote:

Exactly this. Labouring is far worse. Warm them up, ride them enthusiastically and get the 600 mile service done to clear the old swarf/oil out

After that upto 12k and enjoy. I would ride it above 6k but keep less than 10k and ideally 8-9k being max for first few hundred miles without too pull pinning it

That's exactly what I did. My advice would be keep the revs up, force the bike to do lots of engine breaking, don't coast with the clutch in! When you've done the run in still keep the revs up, it's safer and will get you round bends and corners without going wide. I keep seeing people on youtube going wide on corners because they're only doing 40mph but they're in 5th or 6th gear! You can't ride like you drive,it's not the same, a bike needs to be firmly handled. Don't even get to 4th 5th or 6th until you've mastered using ALL the revs in 1st 2nd and 3rd. This will build confidence and help you realise that riding a Tuono (or any sportbike) with low revs is not as safe.
Cosmik de Bris View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmik de Bris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 00:30
Originally posted by dan1987 dan1987 wrote:

im currwntly running in an engine on my 2017 tuono factory. It has only done 120 miles and I accidentally missed a gear when riding and the revs went to 12k! Obviously a new engine shouldn't go past 6k. Have a done any permanent damage? Or will it be OK?

Your engine has already been redlined on the dyno at the factory. The rev limits in the manual are put there by lawyers not engineers. Running in is really a thing of the past.

Cheers

Trumpetman21 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trumpetman21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 14:05
Just got mine to the magical 625 mile mark in just over 3 weeks, a couple of neutrals between 1st and 2nd means it was revved over 7500rpm inadvertently. I'm not worrying about it.
leeadam View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeadam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 11:23
Interesting to read, im a new member just bought a 2018 brand new Tuono Factory last week with Akra can and map from dealer. Ill have a few gentle miles 400 say, but wont worry with odd hi rev. My brother always buys ex demo Dukes spanked from new, and everyone on forums saying oooo dont buy as they get thrashed...two years on with many miles under belt, zero issues on any of his 2 bikes. 
Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2018
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 12:03
Times have changed,in the past with older machining practices more care was needed to bed moving parts in.

It's still a bit of a balancing act though,rings for example need the higher sealing pressures that come with increased revs to be able to push against the cylinder walls and effectively file themselves into a gas tight seal.

Low revs,low gas pressure and thin oil these days would result in much longer bed in times,maybe even leading to glazing of the mating parts.

Shell bearings on the other hand,especially if they were tighter than ideal ( like the big end journals on the later magnesium Rotax twins ) will probably benefit from a more restricted break in period. At least until after the first oil change when all the microscopic particles suspended in the oil can be flushed out.

That wasn't the only reason for some of the Mag engines crank problems,the choice of going with a different ( probably much cheaper) material for the crankshaft and then just induction hardening compared with the older En40B nitrided cranks probably played a part too.

I recall some Ford car engines from the past were prone to using silly amounts of oil,Ford just told people it was normal and get used to it.  

This was probably due to the way they built the engines with more emphasis on speed of manufacture and consequent larger tolerances to allow that to happen.

Bike engines these days will be built to much closer tolerances than that,down the the micron level which means far greater care is needed during machining rather than the old ' fukc it,it's near enough attitude that production workers tended to hold.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 17:30
^^what he said...took all them words right outa my mouth...lol.Stern SmileConfused
very knowledgable as usual mr.g.Clap
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 19:25
That's what playing with engines etc for 53 years does for you,mind you,I still can't remember peoples names 10 mins after being introduced  Embarrassed

The down side to all this manufacturing efficiency and OE cnc machining is that it becomes that much harder to improve on standard as it's much closer to optimal as supplied.

I do miss the playing about with the 2 stroke scooters I did back in 60's though

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic