rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > Your Bike
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baffled ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baffled ...
    Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 13:53
Hello folks

So long story short, I just took my 2006 RSVR to Serbia for a little get to know you roadtrip. Whilst there a local racing legend helped me take the baffles out of the Leo Vince SBKs. Sounds mint, super bubbly and scares the sh*t out of the natives!

However, the bike feels less responsive / aggressive on the throttle ... Is it possible that having the baffles in and 'backing up' the output makes any difference to performance. Was told the onboard diagnostics would recalibrate for the open pipes but wonder now if should be tweaking the ecu?

Any thoughts (or general derision) welcome ;)
06 Tuono
K1 GSXR6
CBR600F
Ducati 750SS
Honda S90 :)
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by Jardo Jardo wrote:

Hello folks

So long story short, I just took my 2006 RSVR to Serbia for a little get to know you roadtrip. Whilst there a local racing legend helped me take the baffles out of the Leo Vince SBKs. Sounds mint, super bubbly and scares the sh*t out of the natives!

However, the bike feels less responsive / aggressive on the throttle ... Is it possible that having the baffles in and 'backing up' the output makes any difference to performance. Was told the onboard diagnostics would recalibrate for the open pipes but wonder now if should be tweaking the ecu?

Any thoughts (or general derision) welcome ;)

There is no auto calibration unless the ecu is on variant 1 (for exhausts with catalytic converters only) because the Lambda sensor gets disabled on the open can ecu setting (variant 2).

Are you sure the ecu is set for open exhausts otherwise it will run very lean especially when no baffles are installed. Variant 1 seeks to run the engine at 1.5% CO (too lean without a catalytic converter), variant 2 is nearer 4%

If it's on variant 2 already it might just be removing the baffles upset the Throttle body balance. When it's set at a service, if the baffles are in it might not be perfect when baffles are out and vice versa.

Jardo View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 06:58
Morning and thanks!

Must confess to being slightly lost in the tech of what you say, but certainly the throttle balance is 'upset'. 

I'm going to ping them back for now and next time I service will check ecu settings etc...

06 Tuono
K1 GSXR6
CBR600F
Ducati 750SS
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 09:55
The short answer is that if you take off the oem cans (with catalytic convertors) and fit open cans then the ecu has to have a software option changed to disable the Lambda sensor. The option in the ecu is called variant 1 or 2 (2 is for open cans)
Jardo View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 09:53
Cheers mate, got the general idea and put the baffles back in, hello lovely tweaky low end again...

06 Tuono
K1 GSXR6
CBR600F
Ducati 750SS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic