rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no confidence in cornering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruansdad27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 22:18
Lol
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 22:32
For a road going gen1 they are just an ornament anyway

My Mille is stable as anything sans damper,the gen 2 Tuono on short gearing is a different animal though,not sure I'd want to ride that without any sort of damper as the front seems unwilling to stay on the ground for very long and with those wide bars it's easy to get slightly out of shape

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Gazza View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Jaffa Cake Dealer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 09:15
So it's going to be a course in trial and error to discover the issue, one thing no one has mentioned yet is the rear suspension which can have an effect on the steering, my first course would be to return both front and rear suspension to the original factory settings which are the same as on the 01-03 RSVR. If you don't have a handbook then join the premium section of the forum where there is an ohlins set up guide and an Aprilia Performance suspension guide from Griff.
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
damo46 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 10:53
All this talk about steering damper wear, it seems to be just a problem with the ohlins by the sounds of it, I sometimes wonder if my standard oem damper on my tuono is doing anything. As mentioned already I would definitely check the steering head bearings, my tuono started to feel like a bit of a pig on roundabouts, the steering head bearings had a tight spot so on roundabouts it would feel ok and then all of a sudden take a sudden drop, when having to go around slow mini roundabouts it felt rotten, all sorted with new steering head bearings. You said as well the tyres only have a few hundred miles up so the wheel was obviously off, just in case might be worth double checking that the back wheel is lined up evenly on both sides, probably fine but takes two seconds to check.
Road Racing Ireland, Do It Between The Hedges
JazzyJay71 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 20:39
Shot in the dark here, but I was having the exact same issues with my tuono. Very unstable and felt like it wanted to tuck half way around a corner. The cause of this was the rear end wasn't settling before hitting another bump. The back end was way too hard. Remedy was to back off a fair chunk of rebound on the rear shock. Alex at AP set mine up for me. Everything else I had managed to set fine, just the rear rebound I hard turned way too high. Now it's set correctly the bike is a dream.

I never thought having to much rebound on the rear could upset the front end so much.

Not saying yours is same but worth a check. However follow Griffs video on YouTube to make sure all your other suspension settings front and rear are correct first, it really helps with setting sag etc....
JazzyJay71 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 20:42
I know yours is an Rsv not tuono, although I'm sure the same principles apply with just different sag and preloaded settings etc...
FTM View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 05:42
Steering damper, remember the Ohlins has a little grub screw that needs loosening before you remove the damper. Your Eddie will work fine without one until you get the damper repaired. Steering dampers are never needed ..... until they're needed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic