rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuono running rough after a wash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuono running rough after a wash
    Posted: 18 May 2017 at 21:51
On Sunday I took my gen 2 tuono out for a blast and everything was perfect. My new quick shifter works perfect and the bike was awesome, firing on all (both) cylinders as the saying goes.

I washed my bike on Monday evening using our Karcher pressure washer, set on very low pressure (not much more powerful than a garden hose). Put the bike away and connected the battery up to my trickle charger.

I got the bike out for a blast to our local bike meet this evening (Thursday), and the bike was absolutely awful. Really vibey, the torque was way down and the pull from low revs is very erotic, kinda as though it's only firing on one cylinder or there is a fueling issue.   Also the lovely smooth quick shifter, is no longer smooth, which I guess is down to my running problems. Also on my way home from the meet I fueled up and it started to pour it down and the problem became worse.   

Has anyone had this problem because I have no idea where to start looking? I did read an old post on another forum and the chap there had exactly the same as me and his problem turned out to be something wrong with the HT lead on the front cylinder and when it rained this was causing an arcing problem.

My bike is a 2010 (2011) plate gen 2 tuono. Fitted with open air box kit, front piece removed from air box, race map enabled, PC3 USB power commander and twin Remus cans.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Jason
JazzyJay71 View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 21:55
Oops meant erratic not erotic lmao
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 00:02
Water somehow getting into the quickshifter or power commander at a guess as the firing is controlled through them, get contact cleaner water repellant from local halfords and give the connectors for it a good blast, the cylinder ones should be visible between tank and frame both sides if I'm right
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 07:42
I'm certain it is water ingress somewhere.   I will remove all connectors and give them a blast when I get home this evening. I didn't think the quick shifter would cause this problem ?
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 08:25
Originally posted by JazzyJay71 JazzyJay71 wrote:

I'm certain it is water ingress somewhere.   I will remove all connectors and give them a blast when I get home this evening. I didn't think the quick shifter would cause this problem ?

If water is in there the quick shifter kills the ignition for a split second allowing you to change so basically is in line with the firing order so could then look like rough running as its constantly trying to kill the ignition.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 13:26

Also the kill switch is prime for water to get in and cause intermittent shorts....

Italian bikes and water !
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 19:15
OK so an update....

This evening I removed the tank and air box, disconnected the power commander and any other electrical connectors I could see and sprayed them with wd40 and cleaned wherever possible. Sprayed and cleaned connectors to rectifier including brown connector on the right hand side. Removed ht lead on rear cylinder and gave it a good clean. However I couldn't get the front lead off and didn't want to force it in case it broke. I also removed and cleaned the switch on the clutch lever and removed and cleaned the kill switch assembly.   Basically I removed and cleaned any connectors I could see, including the quick shifter.

Took the bike out for a quick test ride and the bike is much better but still not as smooth as it was.

Next step is to disconnect the power commander and take the bike out for a blast.   
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 19:17
The power commander quick shifter kills the fuel not ignition so would this still cause the same problems?
Quinn View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 19:48
Originally posted by JazzyJay71 JazzyJay71 wrote:

The power commander quick shifter kills the fuel not ignition so would this still cause the same problems?

Power commander as far as I'm aware basically kills the spark so the engine stops driving for a very short time allowing the gearbox to change without load or duress so yes in my opinion if its wrong\faulty or water ingress could manifest as rough running, best idea would be to disconnect it which is easy enough and then run her and see if its fine, from what you've done and said its definitely water in there somewhere not guaranteed its the power commander setup but as its easy to disconnect and run without it I'd try that first, then its back to more spraying or gentle warming of the bike to try and remove any dampness in there.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 20:53
That's first thing on the list tomorrow morning. Disconnect power commander altogether and take fora run. However it ran perfect Sunday and only started playing up after I washed the bike and yesterday riding home in the rain. So I'm sceptical it is the power commander but it still needs eliminating from the possibilities.
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JazzyJay71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 20:55
Myself I'm leaning more towards an ht lead as the problem, namely front one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic