rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyre Size Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 13:19

Another thing to think of is weight, there are some heavy tyres out there ! The bigger the tyre the bigger the weight.....pirelli are usually the lightest, the grippyest , and the most expensive !

Here is American tyre test (why don't the british mags test like this ? Mcn always want a bribe !)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/02/article/2015-sport-motorcycle-tire-shootout/

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 22:47
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

Another thing to think of is weight, there are some heavy tyres out there ! The bigger the tyre the bigger the weight.....pirelli are usually the lightest, the grippyest , and the most expensive !

Here is American tyre test (why don't the british mags test like this ? Mcn always want a bribe !)

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/02/article/2015-sport-motorcycle-tire-shootout/

Cracking review.

I think i'm going to go for Dunlop d214, I've found some new ones that fit my budget. They've not got the best reviews in the world but its the best I can get with the money I have. I'm no Rossi, and I won't be hitting the track so I don't really see any reason why most tyres won't  suit.

I am however, going to try out a 180/55 profile, I've read some good stuff about turning with this profile, and corner speed is my favourite part of riding. 
snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 11:16
Dun sportsmart 2 s on mine absolutely love them (the mk 1s were good too ) always had 190r Std on tuono factory so unable to compare on 180r.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 17:10
For what it's worth I thought the Mk1's were far superior to the 2's Cry

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 09:53
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

It's been a few years since I bought any motorbike magazines, I can't be bothered with printed material now and the online versions never floated my boat.
But one of them, probably Performance Bikes as that was the one I used to buy most, used to do tests where the rider was led to the bike with a bag over his helmet (honestly) so he couldn't see the brand fitted.
It led to some surprising results, with the likes of Maxxis Sports tyres actually coming out pretty well.
Had I kept my RSV, I would have been taking the nearly new Pirelli Rosso II tyres off and getting something else this summer.
They just felt like granite, all the time.
Even lowering the pressures gave no feel or confidence.

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:21
Well, after much searching for either a well priced new set or a good part worn set I ended up purchasing a new set from my local Honda Honda.

Don't shout at me.... I bought a pair of Avon storm 3d XM, granted they're not the sportiest tyre in the world and, I'm probably not going to get the feedback I would love, however, they cost me less than £100 and they will last until the Mrs is back in work and I can buy a nice set at the end of the next season.

The reviews aren't half bad either.

If I was going to do track days I probably wouldn't have bothered, but hey, needs must rite.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:25
Nothing wrong with Avon's at all,don't listen to the swinging d*cks who say you need SuperCorsa's or the like,those will get the road duties done just fine,and last well too Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:34
I agree, a road biased tyre will be just fine.
I also avoid out-and-out track tyres for the road, as you're just not going to get them in the right operating zone.

Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:02
Originally posted by BOL D'OR BOL D'OR wrote:

I agree, a road biased tyre will be just fine.
I also avoid out-and-out track tyres for the road, as you're just not going to get them in the right operating zone.

Thats not true. You do if they are road carcuss. A Supercorsa SP in summer above 12 degrees grip is phenomenal but they take a couple miles to warm up, are crap in the cold and wet and dont last long

A Supercorsa SC series although road legal is a track tyre and runs a different carcuss...these are hard pushed to get upto operating temperature and never perform as they should really but people buy 'scrubs' from ebay and the likes cheap as they have loads in the middle for road use

A decent sporty road tyre is in my opinion still the best for most road riding upto 8/10th like the Rosso3 (Ive kept the pirelli platform to make it easy to show differences)

The 2/10th bit is when you are on a sunday hoon, coming out of your favourite roundabout in 2nd gear and while still banked start feeding it on, the bigger tread makes Rosso3 (Or M7RR etc) move a fair bit more and will have it step out without decent TC intervention

In no way having a dig here fella as what you said at first is what I think too but the 'I also avoid out-and-out track tyres for the road, as you're just not going to get them in the right operating zone' I think can be explained a bit different
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:18
Another more valid consideration is perhaps rider skills?

You no doubt can get track tyres up to operating temps on the road given the right conditions but I seriously doubt I could if being honest.

I would just never try and ride that hard on the road, and I'm going to guess that the majority of riders are road only anyway so the Sports/Touring type tyres would probably be the best bet for most as they warm up quickly and are usually better in cold or wet conditions

The amount of " I NEED SC's for my Sunday blasts" riders I see with squared off rears and large chicken strips tells it's own story LOL

Very personal things tyres,I'm not sure that one persons choice would always suit another rider anyway as we all have different expectations and styles

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 13:12

The amount of rich guys who buy the latest exotic bike and the tyres have foot wide chicken strips and squared off tyres !

A set of very nice lightweight wheels were sold recently.

Look at the tyre ! Lolollol
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 13:27
I have been passed by enough tourers doing warp factor 9 whilst in Europe to know that you do not need sticky nor wide tyres to go very fast, have big lean or big grip.

Whilst there is no harm in buying super sticky tyres for the road if you have the budget, I would suggest it's difficult to ride to the point of "needing" them in all but very narrow windows of opportunity or safety.

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 15:05
A friend I raced with and I were discussing tyres not so long ago.
We both agreed road tyres are probably as grippy as the ones Avon used to give us to race on.
And sport/track tyres now are just phenomenal.
Barely a twitch from the Dunlops we used for three days in Portimao.

CarsOrBikes View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarsOrBikes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 22:08
I buy SC scrubs sometimes, and for the little use they get they're great, and shed loads cheaper. I have to say I'm ok with the grip in dry conditions.   

I also used M5 interacts on my RR7 blade and now M7RR on my RSV Factory, which are more re-assuring if the road is damp or wet, in the dry I'm still not that brave leaning over so I have unused areas to the side, not quite like above.

Now I don't think I'm that slow, and whilst some can piss take for chicken strips, to not have them at all from road riding, means people must be riding really inappropriately.

Choosing race rubber for general or spirited riding is less crazy than riding to the edge of any tyre on the road. Which I probably couldn't do anyway haha.

At the end of the day, I'd never buy part worn regular type tyres as they'd all be old or knackered, and a false economy, where something good that's only done a few laps of somewhere and that isn't torn up much, makes perfect sense as it's likely a third of the price or less for a good tyre less than 25% worn.

Oddly, I felt more settled on M5 interact on my old Repsol blade than I do on my M7RR shod Factory, despite the latter having much better reviews, maybe that was just the bike type, combined with a change to a better rear profile.
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 08:57
Originally posted by CarsOrBikes CarsOrBikes wrote:

Now I don't think I'm that slow, and whilst some can piss take for chicken strips, to not have them at all from road riding, means people must be riding really inappropriately. 

Not necessarily.
There are plenty of corners where I live that you can commit to full lean/knee down in almost perfect safety.
I say almost, as any kind of riding is inherently dangerous to a degree.
You can see round these corners for miles, they've got lovely surfaces and they even have a fair amount of run off if something went wrong.
If you see a road rider without chicken strips, don't assume they're all riding "inappropriately".
They're maybe just picking the right corners.

Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 09:54
Originally posted by BOL D'OR BOL D'OR wrote:

Originally posted by CarsOrBikes CarsOrBikes wrote:

Not necessarily.
There are plenty of corners where I live that you can commit to full lean/knee down in almost perfect safety.
I say almost, as any kind of riding is inherently dangerous to a degree.
You can see round these corners for miles, they've got lovely surfaces and they even have a fair amount of run off if something went wrong.
If you see a road rider without chicken strips, don't assume they're all riding "inappropriately".
They're maybe just picking the right corners.

I'm of the same thinking. No willy waving (we can all do that) but I will run to the edges at times - of course at a fast pace, but on a road that I can see far ahead etc as already mentioned
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic