rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tyre Size Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tyre Size Options
    Posted: 16 May 2017 at 22:11
Evening ladies & Gents, 

I'm sorry if this has been done time and time again, but I tried to search and couldn't quite find what I was looking for. 

Anyway, Long story short, I have a little one on the way so cant afford to spend a small fortune on a new set of boots, as much as I would like to.
 I've tracked down some 15 lap scrubs in a 200/50/17 size at a reasonable price £125 delivered. Will this size fit the bike? or will it absolutely destroy the ride? 
The other option was a 180/60/17 but I think I've already found out they're no good. 

The option is a new set of Pirrelli Diablo tyres for £130 delivered in the correct size, i'm unsure if they would suit as I believe they're more of a sport touring tyre. 

Whats your thoughts & advice? 

Thanks. 
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 22:28
My take on it is unless you're tracking the bike and need superstickies then sports touring tyres are what you should be fitting.

I've tracked sport touring tyres and not had a problem

I'm dead slow and careful though Wink

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 23:02
I bought the following off Ebay.....

Michelin Pilot Power 120/70-17 190/50-17 ZR Pair APRILIA RSV 1000 Mille 98-03

£140 was not bad for the pair.
They are the ones on the bike in my thread.......
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 23:53
I have gen1 and use 180/60/17 and they are great but you need to run a 110 link chain to get safe clearance on the swingarm.
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 09:03
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

My take on it is unless you're tracking the bike and need superstickies then sports touring tyres are what you should be fitting.

I've tracked sport touring tyres and not had a problem

Yep this. I took my ape round snett earlier this year before it hammered down I got 2 sessions dry on m7rr's. They aren't track tyres but I was happy mid fast group on them... They do squirm a bit though
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
Mr Miller View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 09:21

You little fibber
By the by .. when IS yer next track day Ian
If you find us in a hedge check the bike first please .. I`m free on the NHS...
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:06
Originally posted by Kevrsp Kevrsp wrote:

I bought the following off Ebay.....

Michelin Pilot Power 120/70-17 190/50-17 ZR Pair APRILIA RSV 1000 Mille 98-03

£140 was not bad for the pair.
They are the ones on the bike in my thread.......

Is that the 2ct's? I used to run these on my Z1000, great tyre!

True Ian, i may give those Pirelli tyres a shot, or try to hunt down some Michelins, and stick with the standard tyre size.
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:47
Is it Pirelli Diablo Rosso's you've been offered?
That's what I have on mine as a good compromise between road/touring tyres and out-and-out sports tyres (supercorsas)
I got it with pure touring/road Michelins on, and it steered very heavily.
To be frank, they also looked bloody awful on a sports bike.
Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:58
Originally posted by BOL D'OR BOL D'OR wrote:

That's what I have on mine as a good compromise between road/touring tyres and out-and-out sports tyres (supercorsas)

Hi Bol, 
These are the new tyres I could afford, I would love 2CT's but i cant afford them at the moment! 

These both seem like a good deal. 
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:13
Originally posted by Sam.moz86 Sam.moz86 wrote:

Hi Bol, 
These are the new tyres I could afford, I would love 2CT's but i cant afford them at the moment! 

These both seem like a good deal. 

I maybe very wrong but I thought that was an 8-9 year old tyre that's being made again for demon tweaks?

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:16
Those have more tread than mine, so are obviously more of a road/touring option.
I'm sure they'd be perfectly fine.
Even if they're older design Pirellis, they're not going to be crap.
Personally, I'd go for the Dunlops.
I was well impressed by my first outing on Dunlops at Portimao three weeks ago and it's a brand I will no longer ignore (don't really know why I ignored them for years anyway...)

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 11:58
I'm running Sportsmart 2's on the Tuono,mainly because I had an almost new front in the garage so I only needed the rear.

Tbh though when these need replacing I'm tempted to go back to Avons Shocked

I use their Ultra Extreme 3d's on the track Mille and they are far better than I am,and I used to use their Storm Ultra 2 sports touring on my old Sv thou.

The Storms were a really good tyre,easily better than you need for the road and they work really well in the wet as well as lasting a long time.

One thing to find out with all these cut price tyres is ... When were they made?

Quite a few people have found their new tyres are many years old (but NOS) when they turn up Ouch
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:04
Originally posted by Mr Miller Mr Miller wrote:

You little fibber
By the by .. when IS yer next track day Ian

If only Embarrassed

Being honest I really don't know when ,if ever, I'll do another trackday Confused

Probably not until I retire at the end of the year anyway,unless RAF Valley decide to resurrect their charity w/ends in which case I'll do them

Got no time now I'm working these 15:00 - 23:30 shifts and I've booked all my holiday time for the year already  Cry
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 13:09
I do feel an affinity towards Avon, as they used to sponsor me many moons ago.
Trouble is, the local bike tyre place won't stock them any more as he says he had too many returns/faults.
He'll fit them if I buy them though.
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 13:34

One thing to find out with all these cut price tyres is ... When were they made?

Will they know?
Will they tell you, even if they did?
I'm just thinking the only way he might be able to tell is to look at the age markings on the sidewalls once they're delivered.
Under the distance selling act, he has 7 days to return them without having to give a reason. Clap

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 13:49
I suppose you could always ask and say the sale is dependent on them being no more than say,2-3 years old?

Quite a few tyres that I've seen advertised haven't been made for years so even though they've not been used they may have started to harden and dry.

If you only go for certain types and marks like say SportSmart 2's or S/C  Sp's then you at least know how old they could possibly be as it's easy enough to find out when they were first introduced

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:29
I think they are new but being made again exclusively for these guys

But as said the design/compound blah blah can be dated back to 2008/2009. Not that its a bad thing as at that price they are a bargain and will be fine for many riders. I was away from the road scene from 2006 to 2015 and my last memories of either dog sh*te d207's or the super grippy but expensive and not long lasting Pirelli Dragon evo's (I think they were called) so again I could be wrong

I know having Rosso 2 on my last bike were crap unless warm and dry but Rosso 3 are very good

Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 18:46
Just to throw this into the mix........front tyres everyone seems to ask rear tyre options but never front. Does no one care about the front cos no one can see it so there's no chip shop points or is there another reason ?
ive just got my first vtwin and i think i got the right one
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 18:59
One usually get a matching pair Wink

Although I have run different brands at either end in the past with no problems but it's not recommended.

Actually I think I have a Bridgestone RS10 on the front of the Mille with an Avon Ultra Extreme 3d on the back which works really well

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

snowman View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 19:07
Insurance might not like odd make tyres ...
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 19:55
But race circuits aren't bothered Wink
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Sam.moz86 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.moz86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 20:13
Originally posted by Birky_D Birky_D wrote:

I think they are new but being made again exclusively for these guys

But as said the design/compound blah blah can be dated back to 2008/2009. Not that its a bad thing as at that price they are a bargain and will be fine for many riders. I was away from the road scene from 2006 to 2015 and my last memories of either dog sh*te d207's or the super grippy but expensive and not long lasting Pirelli Dragon evo's (I think they were called) so again I could be wrong

I know having Rosso 2 on my last bike were crap unless warm and dry but Rosso 3 are very good

2nd that on the Rosso 2, I had a look last night and that's what is currently on the bike, once they are warm they do handle well though.

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 08:47
Originally posted by snowman snowman wrote:

Insurance might not like odd make tyres ...

No offence, but show me any policy that insists tyres must 'match'.

BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 08:49
Originally posted by Rybes Rybes wrote:

Just to throw this into the mix........front tyres everyone seems to ask rear tyre options but never front. Does no one care about the front cos no one can see it so there's no chip shop points or is there another reason ?

Because the front size is never buggered around with.
On the back, you can go 180/190/200.
On the front, everyone just goes 120, so there simply isn't the scope for discussion.

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 09:43
180/120 for me LOLLOLLOL

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:06

On the front, everyone just goes 120, so there simply isn't the scope for discussion.

Well except the old 120/60...do they even still make that poxy tyre? LOL Sack of crap that came on my old R6's as standard

Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:11

Not that I'm goin to but how would putting on a 110 effect handling or if you put on a 130 etc...would that help with a fatter rear tyre ?
ive just got my first vtwin and i think i got the right one
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 13:04

Well except the old 120/60...do they even still make that poxy tyre? LOL Sack of crap that came on my old R6's as standard

Yeah, they do.
Standard fitment on a mate's SV650.
Popular mod is to fit a 120/70 and then drop the forks to compensate for the extra 12mm in tyre height.
I stupidly once fitted a 120/60 to my racing CBR600 in the early 90s, thinking it might help the steering.
All it did was repeatedly tuck and give me heart failure.
BOL D'OR View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOL D'OR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 13:10

Not that I'm goin to but how would putting on a 110 effect handling or if you put on a 130 etc...would that help with a fatter rear tyre ?

A 110 will give you less rubber on the road, not what you want from a front tyre.
A 130 would give you more rubber on the road, but then steering becomes heavier.
A 120 seems to have been accepted as the perfect balance between grip and steering.
I think motoGP guys are running 125 width fronts, but it's hard to confirm that.
All they ever really give you is rim size (16.5") when talking about MotoGP tyres.
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 13:13

Yeah, they do.
Standard fitment on a mate's SV650.
Popular mod is to fit a 120/70 and then drop the forks to compensate for the extra 12mm in tyre height.
I stupidly once fitted a 120/60 to my racing CBR600 in the early 90s, thinking it might help the steering.
All it did was repeatedly tuck and give me heart failure.

I did exactly the same in 2003 on my R6 where it did tuck while I thought it was just moving a bit and slid right off it. It would always feel vague on the 60

120/70 makes such a difference (for me anyways)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic