rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silicone Tape for Coolant Hoses???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silicone Tape for Coolant Hoses???
    Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 20:12
Hi Guys,

I need opinions on something please and I haven't seen anything online about it at all.
So I was going to buy a full set of Silicone hoses for my Mille but given the fact that the oem ones are perfect and changing for silicone is purely for aesthetics, I am trying with the idea of buying silicone take in red or blue and wrapping my hoses.

I'm looking for opinions on this. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Let me know.

Ta

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 20:19
Never seen that before ...but go for it can't see it doing any harm

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 20:55
Why not? adds a bit of colour and it's another layer of protection

Probably have to make sure the pipes are totally oil free and clean though to get it to stick

Given the pipes carry almost boiling water is the glue on the tape going to hold up?

Let us know how you get on,I'm not paying £180 + for a set of silicon hoses I don't actually need but I might freshen up the standard ones if the idea works

Who knows? might be rim tape next Shocked

LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:04
Yeah, same thoughts I have Ian.

The following is from one particular make of the tape:

Product Properties
Self-Fusing
Creates a Permanent Air-Tight, Water-Tight Seal in seconds
Never gets gummy or sticky like electrical or duct tape - No messy cleanup! Resists Fuels, Oils,   Acids,
Solvents, Salt Water, Road Salt, UV Rays, Ozone, Abrasion
Works on any surface with dust, oil, fuel, chemicals or any shape any material
Rescue and repair for emergencies
Extremely versatile

Name:
Self Fusing Tape
Materials:Silicone
Working temperature:500℉/260℃
Thickness:
0.5mm
Roll Length:
5m
Colour:
Blue,Black, Orange,Green ,Yellow and Transparent

I'll let you know how I get on and update with pics when I get the tape from Ebay.😉
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:26
We use that at work on aircraft, although not in the context you want to use it for; otherwise known as self vulcanising tape. You need to be aware that it has no adhesive, it just vulcanises to itself where it overlaps.
Worth a go, but I'd suggest an overlap of half tape width. Also when applying ensure everything, including your fingers are totally oil and grease free.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:28
Looks like that answered all the questions then,I look forward to seeing what it looks like

I'm sure my shiny new competition rad would nice with some colour around it

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:31
Nice one. Thanks for that.
I had a feeling that I might need to use more than less so I've ordered 9 metres for the bike.
I'll do as you suggest and give it a wider overlap. I'll get the pipes washed down and then sit them in boiling water to get rid of any grease and then wrap them wearing latex gloves.

I should have them done by next weekend....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:40
Think we had it at work and called it self amalgamating tape?

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:41
One other thing...if it has the same properties as the stuff we use, it's very elastic, stretches like a rubber band. Check yours when you get it, if it stretches easily, you'll have to apply a slight stretch to it as you apply it.
Finally, one side of the tape has another clear removable tape along its length, which stops it vulcanising to itself while on the roll; it's this side of the tape you need ensure you use to stick it to itself.
Looking forward to the end result Thumbs Up
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 21:43
Thanks Steve.

Much appreciate the added info..😉
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 22:15
Mmm,that blue looks nearly a match for Aprilia Dream Blue paint Smile
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Olie View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 22:34
I wouldn't have the patience to make a tidy job of it. I'm gona give these a go when I get fluids back in the bike. http://www.jsperformance.co.uk/silicone-hose-kits/bike-silicone-hose-kits/aprilia-silicone-hose-kits/aprilia-rsv1000-mille-coolant-hose-kit-99-03-hoses
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 22:51
You may have started a whole new trend Kev!
Question everything.
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 22:54
Hopefully. It's funny that there is nothing online about it. Maybe that in itself says something but we'll see........

Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 08:54
So the Silicone tape arrived. I have a really good feeling about this.
The tape is a nice dark blue. I was worried that the colour might not be the best but it seems OK.
The tape itself is nice and thin so I don't see any issues with conforming around the pipes.
I'll be doing it on Wednesday evening I think.

Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 19:49
Oooooo ebay link please I'll be doing that. Probably to 2 bikes when she sees they got blue
ive just got my first vtwin and i think i got the right one
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 21:40
Originally posted by Rybes Rybes wrote:

Oooooo ebay link please I'll be doing that. Probably to 2 bikes when she sees they got blue

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271000639713?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=570680060706&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

the only thing i would suggest is to buy a brighter colour because when i wrapped a black picec of pipe, it is quite dark looking.
i think its grand for a cheap cosmetic change but if you want it niticed, a brighter colour might suit better.

I'll have my pipes done tomorrow evening and i'll post images....... Smile 
Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 09:09
Nice one cheers. Look forward to seeing the pics
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 21:30
OK, so did what I wanted to do....almost.
I like the end result and for a tenner and some time cleaning hoses, it's not bad.

See what you think.

Rybes View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rybes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 22:07
Turned out alright that didn't it. Looks good mate
bladebod View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladebod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 09:28
Good job mate
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 09:40
Looks alright that Clap

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 09:57
works for me and why replace good hoses with expensive silicone ones for no reasonThumbs Up

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 11:45
I'd have been up for doing that if I hadn't just got my bike assembled again with the new rad all buttoned up

Word of warning about those nice shiny competition rads on Fleabay,I got mine for £100 new which was an absolute bargain but they have since gone up to £300+

They do fit the bike BUT like a lot of aftermarket/competition based parts they need a bit of fettling to fit as they are not quite the same size as OE and needed a few spacing washers to fit exactly.

Also the mounting posts for the plastic air ducts are round not hexagonal and are also slightly lower so the ducts need relieving slightly if you want to use them,I guess for track use you wouldn't bother with any of that but overall I'm well pleased.

If the price had been £300+ when I was looking I'd have gone with an Aprilia genuine article though as it would have a quick and simple swap

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:40
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

I'd have been up for doing that if I hadn't just got my bike assembled again with the new rad all buttoned up

Word of warning about those nice shiny competition rads on Fleabay,I got mine for £100 new which was an absolute bargain but they have since gone up to £300+

They do fit the bike BUT like a lot of aftermarket/competition based parts they need a bit of fettling to fit as they are not quite the same size as OE and needed a few spacing washers to fit exactly.

Also the mounting posts for the plastic air ducts are round not hexagonal and are also slightly lower so the ducts need relieving slightly if you want to use them,I guess for track use you wouldn't bother with any of that but overall I'm well pleased.

If the price had been £300+ when I was looking I'd have gone with an Aprilia genuine article though as it would have a quick and simple swap

Nice job.....any pics?
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:56
Nothing new,still got work to do so it's looking a bit sorry for itself

This is it before fitting though

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 14:08

cant you loosen the clamp push offthe end and wrap it in situ? etc etc youknow what I mean

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 00:38
Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

cant you loosen the clamp push offthe end and wrap it in situ? etc etc youknow what I mean

You can wrap any pipes in situ...... just loosen the jubilee and away you go. Just clean the grease off the pipes. Carb clean does a great job.....
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 22:03
Mmm,I'm sure that's possible up to a point but I think I'll leave it as an idea to be done at some later date

As soon as the new Lithium battery turns up I intend to start using the bike, even the fork strip and rebuild can take a back seat for a while as I'm feeling riding withdrawal symtoms,having not ridden since about Nov.
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic