rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Als RSV Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Als RSV Project
    Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 12:04
Hi All,
I introduced myself yesterday & after some advice I thought I would start a new thread to log my progress as I go.
I purchased a 02 RSV Mille standard last August. Unfortunately due to love at first sight I probably didn't take as good a look at the bike as I should. It looked a bit rough around the edges but nothing a good clean wouldn't sort.
This was how the bike looked when I payed the deposit

On the way home form picking it up in the rain I managed to get a couple of miles away from home before the front end went from under me & had a fairly slow lowside. 

Since it was raining & I was new to the bike I thought it must have been something I did wrong, engine braking etc. so decided to park the bike up for a while before having a look at it.

Over the winter I have managed to replace most damaged parts & a few other jobs such as overhaul the front & rear calipers. The bike now sits like this

Things I have done so far:
Oil & filter change
Replace cracked headlight
Front calipers - new seals & pistons
Rear caliper - new seal & piston
Replaced rear brake switch
Replaced speedo sensor
Replaced smashed rear indicators
Replaced smashed front indicators
Replaced wind deflectors 
Replaced front brake lever
Replaced bent clip on (put aftermarket ones on)
Replaced exhaust
New fairing bolts
New battery 
Touched up the damaged fairing (for now)
Clear coated the front mudguard from this 
To this

The MOT pointed out quite a few things still need doing before going back on the road:
Exhaust noise (even with a baffle in). I have the original to put back on so no big deal
Steering lockstops ineffective (I am keeping a keen eye on Redrats thread about his upgrade ones)!
Wheel has excessively distorted bead rim (front nearside)
Rear suspension movement is excessively stiff
Both rear link plates excessively corroded
Steering headbearing has slight free play (advisory)
Small oil leak from oil cooler (advisory)
The front & rear brakes still seem to be binding so will have to take another look at these
Front tyre

Funds are a bit tight at the moment so this will not be a quick build thread but I will update as I go. I think the first thing to sort will be the suspension which a few people on here have already mentioned is a relatively cheap job so will get some photos up as I do this.

Thanks

Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 13:35
Great project buddy Big smile

I can't add anything to what was said on your other thread. All sound advice.

The bits you've got to do on the bike really are minimal, don't be discouraged. It will help you to put a bit of your soul into the bike and understand how it works/the usual neglect problems. You'll be proud and happy with the result mate. Red ones are great.

That's a top job on the cf front fender. Credit to you fella Clap

Question everything.
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 15:48
Thanks Diablo, I was suprised how easy of a job it was. Couple of sheets of 800 wet & dry then just a can of halfords clear coat to put a few layers on. I can still see the odd few pin holes up close but good enough for now.

This is the damage to the front wheel. It really doesnt look that bad to me but could be wrong...

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 19:09
Unless the wheel has a noticeable wobble at that point when being spun I would say that rash looks like a particular testers hobby horse.

My bike when I bought it had an advisory to that effect on it and it was only the really the paint scuffed locally, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a letter sent out to testers advising them to check wheels more closely causing a knee jerk reaction.

If it does wobble a bit then fair enough,it should be easy and cheap enough to fix,I was expecting a noticeable flat the way you described it.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 19:13
Looks like that wheel could be rubbed down and sprayed ?

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 21:48
Thats what I thought. I had a new back tyre put on my hornet at the same garage last year which went flat after a week. Took the wheel off & down to protyre who took the tyre off & said whoever put it on didnt buff the rim & put the cush drive back in the wrong way so a bit rich being this picky if you ask me. I was planning on taking the bike somewhere else this time but not much choice in my area. I think I might take the wheel out & get a second opinion.
Thanks guys
badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 01:29
Lovely gen1 al I think they look great in red.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
grumpy View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 10:18
I see you are from the shire! Where abouts was this picky garage?
Ade
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 20:20
Hey Al,

Nice little project.
Have a look at my thread.
I'm slowly but surely getting through the whole bike and doing all those jobs that no one likes to do so if there is anything you need help with or want to ask, just shout.

Best of luck with it.
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 15:18
Right, after a second wind I have decided to get my arse in gear & get the Mille back on the road.
Bought a pair of adjustable lockstops from Redrat & these have now been fitted. Highly recommended, wish I would have got some before spending a couple of hours fruitlessly trying to line up my clipons to not hit the fuse relay. Took all of 10 mins to fit & one of the MOT failures crossed off the list.

Picture of old lockstop not doing much at all

Picture of Redrat's lockstop fitted & lever clearance

I have also purchased linkage & plates to fit

As well as some of Spooky's washers which are in the post.

For the bearings - looking on Simply Bearings website there are a few different versions ranging from £3.06 up to £8.42. Will the cheap ones be okay or is it best to get the more expensive ones?

Thanks All
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 15:30
Just double check your linkage against your original as there is different length linkages and sized side plates, personally I would get the best quality bearings you can as that do take some stick.
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 19:04
Nice lockstops 👍

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 19:12
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 20:10
As hemi said those plates look like Gen 2 with the weak short link that most peeps swap out for after market ones.
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 20:33
Ive measured the dogbone & it is 130mm so looks to be the right size when comparing to the photo I found online with the different sizes. I think you might be right on the plates though. I will get under the bike in the morning & size them up to what is already on the bike. Thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks for the AP link to the bearings I didnt see them on there when checking before.
Also need a oil cooler as well, I can see my bank balance taking a bit of a hammering tomorrow!
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 20:49
That's nothing,you wait till you start getting shown pictures of all the stuff you never even knew about.

You suddenly find you 'need' many ,many new parts,mostly carbon fibre but also lots of shiny,light weight bits and pieces

and that's before you find out you NEED a 1060 kit  LOL
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

badapple View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 04:24
Originally posted by IanG IanG wrote:

That's nothing,you wait till you start getting shown pictures of all the stuff you never even knew about.

You suddenly find you 'need' many ,many new parts,mostly carbon fibre but also lots of shiny,light weight bits and pieces

and that's before you find out you NEED a 1060 kit  LOL
hahaha so true . Well done Al for getting on with it plenty of help here if/when you need it.
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 15:03
As a couple of people noticed the link plates on my replacement linkage is a different size so I am now on the look out for a new set. Is it a case of ordering from AP or is there a better uprated version for the gen 1?
On the plus side the dogbone is the correct size.
Looking under my bike the linkage is in a bit of a worrying state, before I get under there is it worth buying a bearing puller set to make the job easier?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 16:23
The bearings on my gen1 just knocked straight through.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 19:44
Don't try knocking the bearings out!!!!

You MAY get lucky but on the other hand....

A far better way is an M12 bolt with nut and some large washers or maybe a suitable sized socket

I posted a link to some very useful Youtube videos showing how to do by a Dutch Aprilia rider

Here you are

http://youtu.be/36nxIXbyFHs

http://youtu.be/YwxNsfM9fXo

http://youtu.be/yRsmr7nkCbM

http://youtu.be/ZfU0rt52LoY

Do the job properly first time without any risks Wink

I tried driving the things out and wasn't so lucky,I then turned up a spacer about 0.2mm Dia smaller than the the bearings to pull the remains through

This was so easy I should have listened to my instincts first rather than going at it all gung ho

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 20:28
Thanks Ian that sounds like a plan. I have a feeling the swingarm bearings are going to bring me to tears. I dont suppose you remember what length M12 bolt you used?
Kevrsp View Drop Down
World Superbike Star
World Superbike Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevrsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 21:41
Originally posted by Al_Rsv Al_Rsv wrote:

Thanks Ian that sounds like a plan. I have a feeling the swingarm bearings are going to bring me to tears. I dont suppose you remember what length M12 bolt you used?

Hey Al,

Have a look at my rebuild thread.
I had nothing but trouble with my swingarm bearings. If yours look anything like mine, my advice is to give the arm to an engineer and get them to take them out.
I found that the bearings came out but the race was actually welded into its seat.
€30 later and they were out and the seats cleaned up.

If you need any advice just shout.
Best of luck.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 21:48
Originally posted by Al_Rsv Al_Rsv wrote:

It was just a longish M12 cap head screw from work ,can't remember how long sorry

Actually a length of M12 studding and two nuts would be better,all you need then is something like a thick washer with the od trimmed down to just less than the bearing diameter to do the pushing and something like a large socket with a hole bigger than the bearing to allow them to be displaced.

You could try to drive them out and be lucky but they are sometimes almost welded in

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 21:54
Thanks Kevrsp. I almost bought a swingarm & linkage off of ebay thinking it maybe the easier way to go! I will try the bolt & socket way first since that will only be a couple of quid.
Ive been on a bit of a spend today. Now waiting on
Link plates
Linkage bearings & seals
Some of Spooky's washers
Marine grease
Oil cooler
Engine oil & filter
Axle stands
Sdoc100 cleaner
& a seal driver to finish the fork seals on my honda

Its a bit of a joke at the moment. Ive got two bikes & they are both out of action at the moment while I am walking to work!
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 21:56
Thanks IanG, I will get my sockets out & size up what bolt size I will need. Hoping all the bits turn up so I can get some work done this weekend
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 09:22
Good luck Al,just take a few minutes to get everything lined up properly and it should be a doddle

Easiest to remove the seals first with a hook or small screwdriver and clean out as much old grease as you can to get the parts seating correctly then just tighten the nuts.

Oh,remember to stop and remove the first bearing as it drops into the socket,you don't want to jam it in with the second Embarrassed

I cleaned out the empty bores with some very fine wet& dry paper to ensure no lips or nicks then it's a simple case of reversing the process and fitting the new units.

Lube them up nicely before pulling them into place and it'll make any future replacements a bit easier hopefully

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 16:29
Good Afternoon All,
At last a update.
Old front wheel swapped with a mint one I managed to pick up from this forum (thanks Spiceweasel)
Discs swapped over, new wheel bearings & new tyre fitted.
Linkage bearings replaced
Oil cooler & oil tank replaced.
Fresh oil & filter
Rear brake bleeding done

After twatting the linkage bearings in the swingarm for hours I gave up & booked a mobile mechanic to do all of the above work, he did say he had not seen a bearing that stuck for years & the press he used struggled even with lots of heat.

List left to do:
1.Bleed clutch
2.Source the little bracket thingy which supports the oil cooler from the oil tank (mine has sheared off)
3.Mot
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 21:38
The lower water cooler support I require seems to have two part codes. Both show for the same years but two different prices. Does anyone know the difference between AP8134638 & AP8134379 ?
Thanks
constant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote constant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 03:24
yep i done mine with threaded bar and socket they came out no problem 
Al_Rsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al_Rsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 10:51
Clutch bleeding done
Cbr1000rr side stand fitted
Oil cooler/ oil tank mount & silent blocks fitted
New rad & oil tank guards fitted.
Rode down for Mot yesterday & failed on steering head bearings & the front brake is still binding so got the work booked in for Wednesday. So close now....

I notice all of the photos have disappereard due to photobucket which is annoying but will get some more up next weekend if I get time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic