rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > V4 Tuono > V4 Tuono.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1100 v4 burning oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1100 v4 burning oil?
    Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 14:29
Im on 2400 miles on mine, got it on the paddock stand and its low on the site glass. Im going to top it up but was wondering if these particular lump burns much oil? Doesn't bother me...more curious
Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me & current road/track

https://www.youtube.com/c/DeanBirkumshaw
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 14:39
Apes have traditionally burnt oil in the short term if run in gently. It's not unique to apes, pannigale's are notorious for it too, but deffo a trend. The 6k treat it gently advice that you usually get is the worst run in you can do in terms of ring/barrel bedding in.

Only other thing that might cause it is if you have a damaged valve stem seal but there should be some visual smell of oil or smoke when you start it up if that were the case.

My first ape I ran in by the book. Drank oil for England from the get go. 2nd ape and Duke run in ignoring the book and neither use a drop between services. No joke I have never topped either up ever.
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 15:20
Appreciate the heads up. I didnt run mine by the book, I kept the revs sub 6k for about 50 miles then sub 8k(ish) until 300-400 miles. After that I rode normally but was a little sympathetic until its 600 mile service

Maybe its just settling in - either ways Ive ordered some Motul 300v oil so will top up monday

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Birky_D Birky_D wrote:

Appreciate the heads up. I didnt run mine by the book, I kept the revs sub 6k for about 50 miles then sub 8k(ish) until 300-400 miles. After that I rode normally but was a little sympathetic until its 600 mile service

Maybe its just settling in - either ways Ive ordered some Motul 300v oil so will top up monday

It will get there, it just takes longer if the run in is fairly gentle. It's not uncommon to see barrels with significant mileage with the honing marks still visible on the bore surface.
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 20:50
Well I had it serviced at 600 mile, it's done 2400 now including 1 track day and that's it's usage

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 21:21

I wouldn't worry about that, 1000 miles a litre in a car is normal, a ape half the size should burn half ! Imho...
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 21:24
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that, 1000 miles a litre in a car is normal, a ape half the size should burn half ! Imho...

What kind of car do you drive?!!!!  Mine does about 14K between services (Variable intervals) and doesn't lose a drop.

Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 21:42

Just Google anything....first one up !

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

What is excessive , what is not, it's all opinion ! Track days in particular burn oil, who would of thunk it ?
Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 22:38
Hmmm, my Audi's never needed a top up in between oil changes in the 34k I've put on it.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 12:04
My sons RSV4R was getting through oil and it turned out to be the cam cover gasket on the rear cylinders was leaking and burning off on the header.
The bugger was as it is all so titghtly packaged in there it was impossible to see.
Might be worth a closer look. 
Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 13:26
Originally posted by Stevex Stevex wrote:

Hmmm, my Audi's never needed a top up in between oil changes in the 34k I've put on it.

My last one was an Audi. I did 245k in it from new and it never used a drop between changes from start to when it went. My replacement Audi which I bought with 60k on the clock  and now has 130k on similarly has never used a drop.

Whilst the manufacturers may cover themselves 'in case' an engine burns some oil, it certainly is not the norm in my experience.

IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 14:10
To be fair I think manufacturing practices/tolerancing have a lot to do with it.

Ie a cheap sh*t box (naming no names) will have bores like a wizards sleeve and bearings thrown at it from a distance,these will need negligible running in but will probably burn oil like a diesel.

A well assembled unit on the other hand will have much closer tolerances and consequently be much tighter internally,need more running in and probably use a hell of a lot less oil.

Having had a range of cars in the past I can see a world of difference between let's say a Ford and an Audi,different ends of the quality spectrum

This no doubt holds true for bikes to a certain extent as well

Not very scientific but certainly borne out by experience
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Birky_D View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birky_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 16:14
Just asked from a reputable aprilia dealer and 1lt every 4-5 thousand miles is quite normal under hard use in their email/own words

Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 16:24

Seems to vary hugely from bike to bike.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 17:04
Originally posted by Birky_D Birky_D wrote:

Just asked from a reputable aprilia dealer and 1lt every 4-5 thousand miles is quite normal under hard use in their email/own words

Mmm,and Suzuki dealers used to swear that all Sv1000's sounded like the big ends were falling out,they didn't,only the ones with cranks ground undersize during manufacture and then having upper limit bearings fitted to compound the issue.

There are very few " Reputable" dealers around  Wink

I wouldn't trust my local Ape dealer if he confirmed what my name was LOL  as he's the very same weasel that came out with the Suzuki bullsh*t  and CCM before that.

I've learned to avoid like the plague now,AP are the only people that spanner on my bikes apart from me

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic