rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Chat > General Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery charge lead with battery status.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery charge lead with battery status.
    Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:34

Iam buying a lithium battery so I had to buy a chager, I bought this so I can keep an eye on the battery status. Goes with all the Noco Genius chargers.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:21

The lithium battery I have has a button on it to test the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281984634158?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:41
Originally posted by Af1 Af1 wrote:

The lithium battery I have has a button on it to test the battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281984634158?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

mine too Thumbs Up but that is a good idea

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
Sparky46 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:48
I have one of they leads to get fitted. It's a CTEK but the same idea. Handy for a quick indication on the battery condition.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 12:58
I didn't know Ctek done was aswell, mind you they are a bit more expensive.
The only problem with the button on the battery is having to take the seat off to check.
Has anyone had a sprag clutch go because of a lithium battery.
I think if you leave the ignition on for 30 secs to minute it should be fine, well find ot soon
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 13:09
I forgot to ask, is anyone running a Shido battery? I did consider a jmt but the Shido came with a 3year warranty.
But that's if they honour it should it fail.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 14:05
Have 2 shido batteries and they have been great so far.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 15:14
Thanks hemi for putting my mind at rest.
Prsv View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 15:20
Alright Richard from what I've read it's only in cold weather you have to leave key on for a wile.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 15:49
Hi Paul, on YouTube I saw a lithium battery overnight and then put back into a Harley, it started on the third attempt, spinning it faster on every attempt.
I guess that they used the first two times warmed the battery, not a good idea with the RSV.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 15:49
Sorry I ment they put it in the freezer overnight.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 16:36

I trust my lithium battery , it has more cranking power than the old style battery. Plus the original battery for the rsv was 12 amp , 14 amp and 16 amp are a better choice. Plus the crappy wires and the solenoid was under rated too.
Fit a good fully charged 14 amp plus lithium battery which produces more cranking energy. Twins are very hard on the starting system, any old big twin has problems !    
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 19:43
Except big Suzuki's with centrifugal exhaust de compressors Wink

Can honestly say I never had a starting issue with my  big SV in the 9 years or so I owned it. Certainty more reliable than the Apes regarding battery matters.

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 19:50

There is problems with all types of starters.... however the test of sticking the battery in to a freezer is just stupid imho.

It's not likely you are going to start the bike in minus 10 degrees anyway, the roads will be icy, snowy and you with get killed to death...
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 19:53
Thanks everyone, looks like lithium batteries are very popular with the forum,so I am looking forward to having one of these without trepidation.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 22:39
They are good and weigh f##k all but are not as simple to look after, mainly don't let them go flat or it's scrap, if your going to leave your bike for any length of time put it on a tender or diss connect the battery.
dog78 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dog78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 20:33
Hi, my battery came in the post today, and I believed it was the charger.
The weight is unbelievable also I got a bigger one as AF1 recommend.
I have modified my battery box to take a YTX14 BS so was shocked to see a equivalent battery a lot smaller.
So I could use a normal battery clamp which I will have to find as mine is no good. It laughable to think this is going to start my bike, looks like I will joining the fold. With Johnboy's leads it will sound like a sewing machine than a big twin.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic