rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Falco > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump help
    Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:53
Note that this is my second message in the forum... You can guess I finally registered because of the problem I'm having with my Falco. I know that some (all) of you can help me, easily ;)
This is my problem.
My original fuel pump has died... It gives a less than 1BAR output pressure and, as my mechanic said to me, it's needed kind of 2-3BAR.
I ordered a new (OEM) from eBay, but I didn't check it completely before purchasing. The thing is that I have it, and I have two questions for you.
I'll be very happy if you answer me.
First, the pump I bought is a 255l/h, 8BAR... So... will it work? Electrically, of course (12V, 11Amp), but, will this pressure make a bad thing in other near components? Tubes, for example?
And, second, it's a little (very few) bit larger... Will it fit?
Thanks in advance!!!
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:17
The rsv is designed to run with about 3.3 bar of pressure so 1 is way too low. Don't see an 8 bar pump as being a problem, the high pressure hoses should handle it no problem. I don't think the genuine Aprilia pump is rated much differently to that.
As to whether it will fit, depends how much bigger it is. It does need to fit into a plastic housing.

RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:47
You're right... My bike is not running well because of the pump low pressure, and I have to change it.
So you encourages me to use the 8BAR one? I'm a newbie and it seems a little risky to me
If anyone of you could take this dude out of me, I'll try!
Thanks!
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 13:48
Your bike has a fuel pressure regulator so the engine only gets the pressure it needs not what the pump is rated at.

I think you may be mis understanding how a fuel pump rating works. The rating is the max fuel pressure the pump can still flow fuel at not the rating at which it will constantly pressurise your system. for example a 4 bar fuel pump will flow nothing at 4.1 bar because it has insufficient power to push fuel at that pressure. So an 8 bar pump has reserve capacity to still flow fuel, not that you need it for a falco.

So in short, yes that pump is overkill for a Falco but it won't run at 8 bar or anywhere near it in that scenario.

redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 14:03
Originally posted by RuloMMR RuloMMR wrote:

Note that this is my second message in the forum... You can guess I finally registered because of the problem I'm having with my Falco. I know that some (all) of you can help me, easily ;)
This is my problem.
My original fuel pump has died... It gives a less than 1BAR output pressure and, as my mechanic said to me, it's needed kind of 2-3BAR.
I ordered a new (OEM) from eBay, but I didn't check it completely before purchasing. The thing is that I have it, and I have two questions for you.
I'll be very happy if you answer me.
First, the pump I bought is a 255l/h, 8BAR... So... will it work? Electrically, of course (12V, 11Amp), but, will this pressure make a bad thing in other near components? Tubes, for example?
And, second, it's a little (very few) bit larger... Will it fit?
Thanks in advance!!!
how was the pump tested ? At the throttlebodies with a gauge.....did they check if the fuel filter was clogged?

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 15:13
Thanks all of you!
'redratbike', the new fuel pump has not been tested. It's inside its envelop in order to get it back to the seller (because I thought it didn't fit/work with my Falco).
But, as 'Spoonz' says, it's me not understanding how the thing works. Now I'm ready (if I've understood) to open and test it... Am I right? It seems that nothing will break, and there's no issues to worry about.
Tomorrow I'll ask my mechanic to do this stuff. Cross fingers... ;)
I'll tell you the result, of course!
Thanks again!
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 15:29

Thanks all of you!
'redratbike', the new fuel pump has not been tested. It's inside its envelop in order to get it back to the seller (because I thought it didn't fit/work with my Falco).
But, as 'Spoonz' says, it's me not understanding how the thing works. Now I'm ready (if I've understood) to open and test it... Am I right? It seems that nothing will break, and there's no issues to worry about.
Tomorrow I'll ask my mechanic to do this stuff. Cross fingers... ;)
I'll tell you the result, of course!
Thanks again!
no worries...I meant the old one :-)

Good luck

Keep us posted

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 16:48
By the way... How pressure is managed? I mean... I can only see a 12v connection
RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:05
Morning all my helpers!
My mechanic tried, minutes ago and he had a problem. Pump is larger, which is not a big problem, but wider! It doesn't fit in the hole and, if he pushes, he can break the support...
So, it's not t'he pump, although seller specs indicate the oposite? Or is there a tricky stuff? It's only few mm...
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 11:21
Provided the screw holes match, can he not just file the hole slightly bigger by hand. The cover over the pump assembly is only plastic.
RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:40
Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

Provided the screw holes match, can he not just file the hole slightly bigger by hand. The cover over the pump assembly is only plastic.

It seems that the plastic will break. Maybe there's no problem... maybe there is... What should I do?
Spoonz View Drop Down
Admins Group
Admins Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 13:16

Originally posted by Spoonz Spoonz wrote:

It seems that the plastic will break. Maybe there's no problem... maybe there is... What should I do?

If you mechanic doesn't want to do modify the housing then you will need to change the pump. I can't see any other course of action
RuloMMR View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuloMMR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 13:27
[QUOTE=Spoonz]
If you mechanic doesn't want to do modify the housing then you will need to change the pump. I can't see any other course of action
[/QUOTE

You're right. Just 2 options. Look for another one (being sure of the correct wide), or modify the housing (but, how can he/me modify the housing? It's hard plastic...).
I'll tell you our decision.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic