rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tuono > General & Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tuono transformation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10acious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuono transformation
    Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 15:35
So, the big question. Was it worth a 300 mile round trip and 2 nights in a B&B to get my much loved Tuono back up to scratch and running better than she ever has.

The short answer to that is "Hell yeah"

I have to confess I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. Many people have come away from Aprilia Performance saying it's like riding a totally different bike. Really?

I arrived at Aprilia Performance positively freezing, and again wondering why I traveled 150 miles leaving at 7.00am, when I could have taken it to a local garage.

A grinning Griff met me at AP reception and we instantly began talking about the plenty of work that was due to be done.
Griff wanted me to be involved with the work so I could see what was going on and learn in the process. I like this approach a lot.

Within minutes the bike was being stripped down and the oils dropped. Lewis was leading the way with young gun Ryan helping out.

All was going well with a fair few parts identified as knackered. Valve clearances checked and altered. They were nearly all out of whack. New plugs, oil, coolant, rear suspension stripped, cleaned, greased, new AP rear sets, brake fluid changed etc. All with plentiful tea, biscuits and good banter.

Between Griff and Lewis there is a truly encyclopaedic knowledge of these amazing machines. With plenty of hard learned tips and tricks. Spanish Al was apparently on holiday, but he soon turned up at AP, like he just couldn't stay away.

Later that day - Houston, we have a problem. The front cylinder rocker cover had been previously bodged and a bolt had sheared off. Bugger!

About an hour later and the engine was out and Lewis was busy drilling and tapping out the sheared bolt. By the end of the day the engine was ready to go back in.

Beer, food, Sleep

I arrive the next morning to find Lewis has already got the engine back in and almost ready to run.

The rest of the morning was spent completing service items and rebalancing the throttle bodies.

We also added modified collectors from RedRatBike, the AP air box, Forza 200 chip, power commander 3. Lewis spent a good amount of time setting up the rear sets to fit me just right and also sorted out all the suspension settings.

Lewis and Griff's attention to detail is truly outstanding, with absolutely nothing escaping their eagle eye.

We fired the bike up in the afternoon ready for the dyno run booked for the following day. The whole process was only supposed to take a day but with having to take the engine out put paid to that.

So there I am staring at the same old Tuono, can it really feel that different.

I leave the bike there for the night and go to B&B number 2

Beer, food, sleep.

All ready to go.I jump on to ride the 25 minutes to PCR Performance to meet Paul who will do the Dyno work. a real master of his trade.

Mmmm, looks like my bike, but sounds a bit different, and wow, it really does feel different. The power is completely changed and the handling from Lewis's suspension fettling has made a great difference.

So yes, it really is worth going to seem them lads at AP. Wouldn't take my Tuono anywhere else. Ever.

A sincere thanks to Griff, Lewis and young gun Ryan.

Seeing I had done so much with the bike I figured the suspension needed a little love too. A new GP10 shock is being built by Maxton and the forks are having new internals and a revalve, also by Maxton. The bike has done 35k miles and has a dyno reading of 122bhp at the back wheel.

Give Griff a call, you wort regret it.
03 Tuono
NickyBoy1984 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Exhaust freak!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickyBoy1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 16:06
I'am the same mate, I live 135 miles and 3 hours away from AP but would NEVER go anywhere else with my aprilia or any other bike I had for that matter..!!

They're the best I've known..!!
#apriliafamily

NickyBoy
www.rsvr.net
www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 16:50
Yep no one else but me and griff and the ap boys have touched my old since 2008 πŸ‘

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 18:02
If Carlsberg did bike maintenance........Clap
www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 18:06
Originally posted by NickyBoy1984 NickyBoy1984 wrote:

I'am the same mate, I live 135 miles and 3 hours away from AP but would NEVER go anywhere else with my aprilia or any other bike I had for that matter..!!

They're the best I've known..!!
#apriliafamily

NickyBoy

Originally posted by redratbike redratbike wrote:

Yep no one else but me and griff and the ap boys have touched my old since 2008 πŸ‘

+1. 100% Big smile Big smile
Question everything.
Zax View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 22:03
I travel about 140 miles each way to the service day at Andys in the central belt if Scotland .
It is without doubt worth every mile

However will relentlessly try to get enough people together for a North of Scotland service day in 2017

j180 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 22:36
I wait till Griff is doing a tour date up here unless it's an urgent matter that can't wait. Bike always feels good afterwards.
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 23:44
Roll on the next Liverpool dept day LOL

I missed the last couple of days at Kev's and could do with having the Tuono looked over

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
Scottlandthebrave View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottlandthebrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 13:20
Hi, I was going to create a separate post to share a similar experience then I saw this and thought I'd echo your comments.

I had a major service last week and the personal service and attention to detail was second to none.  I too appreciate the personal touch and opportunity to witness and learn from the work being done.

Griff has top people skills and the team's knowledge and expertise is really impressive.  Lewis did a great job of servicing my Tuono Gen 1 - really thorough and professional work and the bike feels much better for it!  Their general support e.g. queries over the phone is great too - thanks guys! Cheers, Scott

Stevex View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 15:31
I took my Gen 1 T to have a tune after fitting a modded collector and an FR200, near Manchester. Was a bit surprised that one of the AP lads didn't know that an FR200 had 2 maps.
People say I don't know Jack Sh1t; but I do, he lives next door.
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 16:38
How i wish there was someone like this here, but i have to do it my self.
You lucky ladsπŸ‘
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic