rsvr.net Forums Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pipercross/hooked style airbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harreng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pipercross/hooked style airbox
    Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 20:58
Hi all, just about to start knocking up a hooked / renegade type air filter using the
pipercross filter, question is, do they have a support cage for the filter to cover, and
is there any kind of backfire mesh involved? never seen inside one - anyone ever had
one catch fire?Shocked
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 21:28
No mate the support is the six bolts into body's that's it no need for anything esle

And the massive clip onto air boot
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 21:29
Filter goes over body's
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 21:45
Mikee View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 22:16
Mine caught fire earlier this year , but it was a perfect storm scenario
Mike
harreng View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harreng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 18:59
Thanks chaps, wondered about fire as a couple of mates with Ducatis' have had backfires set fire to filters, I might fit some mesh screens over the stacks as a precaution.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 19:49
Another tip take the foam off under the tank too mine ended up going out of exhausts haha
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 20:03
Thats how to do it!
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Paddedcell100 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 22:12
Originally posted by Jollygiant Jollygiant wrote:

Thats how to do it!

πŸ‘πŸ‘ .
Better to have something you don't need than need something you don't have....
harreng View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harreng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 11:21
Just watched you're video of making your's Jolly - fantastic job and that amount of effort makes them look cheap! Metal's my business, so I'm going down the aluminium route - do you oil you're filter or run it dry? I'm using mine for track only, no road work.
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 11:47
Don't suppose you are going to start making them for Gen2's? πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™
Jollygiant View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member
Carbon Whore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jollygiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 14:24
Pipercross don't recommend oiling the filter.

I need one for Gen 2 too copy and improve then I my consider doing them, so if anybody has one let me know.
Check out my pre-preg carbon fibre
www.jollyscarbon.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jollyscarbon
www.instagram.com/jollyscarbon

Has done The Ring…..Slowly but I did it!!
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paddedcell100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 15:20
Originally posted by Jollygiant Jollygiant wrote:

Pipercross don't recommend oiling the filter.

I need one for Gen 2 too copy and improve then I my consider doing them, so if anybody has one let me know.

I may be getting one soon, a Sebimoto one, will see what it's like when I get it,if I'm not overly impressed with it then maybe you can use that one buddy.
BIG UN View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG UN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2016 at 16:00
Originally posted by markrsvr15 markrsvr15 wrote:

Another tip take the foam off under the tank too mine ended up going out of exhausts haha

Fpmsl
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 00:52
Originally posted by harreng harreng wrote:

Metal's my business, so I'm going down the aluminium route - do you oil you're filter or run it dry? I'm using mine for track only, no road work.

Why would you want to fit a large heat radiator directly under the bellmouths ? especially for track use when you want the mixture as cold and dense as you can get it?

Those designs are far from ideal due to the amount of heat soak,no cold air to be had in that enclosed space above the engine Wink

They do make lots of induction noise though which seem to give some people a hard on

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
legend88 View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 09:14
Oh, and by the way, Pipercross do recommend oiling the filter - From new and after cleaning - as the oil is what retains the dirt and stops it passing through the filter.

http://www.pipercross.net/75ml-aerosol-cleaning-kit-c9000_p24039181.htm
IanG View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 17:18
And just as another 'by the way'  Kaemna?  stopped warrantying the filter kits due to so many people fitting them and not getting the  fuelling set properly on a rolling road.

It seems they tend to make the fuelling lean (understandably) and the resultant blowbacks set fire to the filter mesh and they had too many claims to sustain.

It was/used to be on their website, expressly no warranty and fit at the owners risk with no comeback

www.apworkshops.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk

Looking forward to the next track day
harreng View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harreng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 17:29
Finally got the job done - bit of a faf to say the least! so I picked up an RP/NG engine off the bay last year, only recently found time to fit it, put some 57's and tuono stacks that I bought off Scottish on here, the filter arrangement , I've made a mesh backfire screen just for peace of mind - don't suppose I'll know whether it works or not, unless it catches fire! Gave the filter a spray with Putoline filter spray that I use on the 'crossers, and had it dyno'd at BSD last week. It gave 124bhp, so pleased with that, nearly 10 up on the old motor.
 photo 13987597_1197205846997043_2915734731146719792_o_zpsy158djzu.jpg photo 13995623_1197206050330356_4651677960826100951_o_zpsgj6i4s8w.jpg photo 13925994_1197206473663647_6494751610654338842_o_zpsvr3mz4nt.jpg
Ice-mille View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice-mille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:16
Nice work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic