Forum Home Forum Home > RSV / RSVR / FACTORY > Technical Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbon fibre fuel tanks..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 12:23
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

The earlier rsv like my 2000 has the long under tank side panels but they would still probably catch the back of the tank.
was just thinking it would have been good to see it tried with the earlier panels...or maybe have some custom/modified panels to suit the new tank?

i'll say it again...bugger should have bought the flawed one morepower sold on ebay for 400 quid!!!!!

www.apriliaperformance.co.uk
www.apriliaforum.co.uk
www.apriliaownersclub.co.uk
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 10:59
I think making some form of covers to let it be used would end up costing about as much as a fuel tank mould. You need to mock up the covers then make into parts good enough to then mould from. Then you have a splash mould the needs to be refined a little more to get it just right and allow for shrinkage. Then make a master from the splash mould and then finally a production mould. It would still be a compromise. 

If increased capacity is needed then it could be possible to make up a base for the RSV tank and modify it to fill voids or make it fit closer to the airbox etc. But as the original tank is 18 litres anyway I think a carbon one would be about 22 litres as it has a lot of surface area and the plastic is thick anyway. 

A proper copy of the tank is the best solution but still needs enough demand to make it worth doing. 

If someone does want to have a Falco tank for their bike I would gladly make one.. But it is a compromise and unless there is an actual fault I would not want to have it back because "it looks wrong.".  I think we know that now anyway.. 
LOL

As I said if there is demand for something I would be more than willing to do it. 

Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 20:14
Now that we have more Gen1-Gen2 members who have joined, Maybe we should re-visit this thread....

Question everything.
Paulrrsv View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulrrsv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 20:44
Yep, I'd be very interested
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 20:49

So will I, gen 1 , 2001.....
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 21:02
Yep 2000 gen1.
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 09:45
But I think we were still at 6 people for a Gen 2 tank Cry

Looks like I will be buying some alumium sheets and dusting of the tig welder Cry

Full Arrows system, 1060 Big Bore, PC5 and Evo Airbox. Bring on the big grin!
Casper2017 View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper2017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 21:12
😁👍 I wiuld snap your hand off for a tuono gen 2 tank put my name doen if you ever make 1
Munky View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 20:01
Hi guys - sorry to resurrect a potentially dead thread but did this ever go ahead? I'd put my name down for a Gen 2 tank if there's still the option

They look gorgeous! Any idea how the weight of them compares to the originals?
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 21:10
He needs at least 10 orders to make it pay and there is 3 types of tanks so to get enough people together for each type of tank is a problem, I would have an early gen1 in a heartbeat.
Speedjunkie View Drop Down
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 21:11
Wow it’s obviously been a while since i posted (asked to reactivate my account!)

Anyway... are we still waiting on another two confirmed for a gen2 cf tank because i need to spend some moolah
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 22:25
Originally posted by Speedjunkie Speedjunkie wrote:

Wow it’s obviously been a while since i posted (asked to reactivate my account!)

Anyway... are we still waiting on another two confirmed for a gen2 cf tank because i need to spend some moolah
buy 3 tanks and you are sorted

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:52
That’s not a bad idea actually.

If there was a price reduction for buying the x3 i would seriously consider it as it also means everyone else can benifit from progressing this project.
426hemi View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

owner of the big bore!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 426hemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 14:16
I offered to buy 5 early gen1 last year and he didn't get back to me.
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 16:39
Welcome back, is Speedjunkie the name you had before on here?

Question everything.
Munky View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 12:38
If it would help get things moving, I'd be up for doing similar to Speedjunkie and go for two Gen 2 tanks
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 16:22
In which case we would be at 11 Thumbs Up

Let's go!
tapmyhed View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapmyhed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 16:50
How much?? Gen 2....
Factory 04
Big Bore Whore
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 18:02
he was talking around 900-1000 when this all started but this also gave a 24 litre capacity apparently.

Hopefully Mr Morepower will be along to confirm
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 22:40
Hi guys... Sorry I have been so busy doing random crap that I have not had time to come and look round....

I keep adding up all the people who say yes and it is usually the same 3 or 4 each time... 

SO If I can get 8 who will guarantee they will have a tank I will get a mould made and make them.. I WILL need one of either generation to copy and who ever has a good, smooth and no scratches tank to copy would have it for the cost of materials only... The prices after the Brexit scare and the increase in prices we have seen on all sorts of things luckily has not had the same impact on my materials.. So a typical tank at say £900 (unlacquered) went up to £950. I was expecting about £100 to £150 increase so the prices will be really close to what I had estimated originally.  Lacquer still costs me £100 to get done by a local company. So Gen 1 or Gen 2 if I can get 8 who will be 100% sure they want one put yoyr names down and which version you want... If I get 8 of each I will do both generations. 
Diablo View Drop Down
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 00:20
I'm still in for gen 1
Question everything.
Af1 View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Af1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 06:48

I'm in for 2 gen 1 tanks 01-03 shape. I have a new unused gen1 tank to make the moulds.

morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 09:10
OK .... Gen 1 tanks.. 
AF1 wants 2 
Diablo wants 1 

Thats 3 tanks. 
Fugly View Drop Down
Moto GP Alien
Moto GP Alien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 09:34
Gen 2 please (unlaquered)
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:28
OK .... Gen 1 tanks.. 
AF1 wants 2 
Diablo wants 1 

3 gen 1 tanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fugly wants 1 Gen 2 tank. 

1 Gen 2 tank.  
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:48
Originally posted by 426hemi 426hemi wrote:

I offered to buy 5 early gen1 last year and he didn't get back to me.

I must have been having a bad day...  But sadly 5 still would not have covered the cost of the mould...  But if you want 5 I would have to look at a deal and to make it worth it for you I would guess then I would have had to have 10 or 12 definite orders to allow for some discount for the size of the order. I want to keep the price as keen as possible and make a living. I dont see the point in taking the piss and adding £300 just because I can get away with it and make a few less for the same profit.  
L Plates
L Plates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 11:54
Yes, still have my original username thankfully

Glad I revived this one now 👍

I’m in for a GEN 2

I also have a perfect GEN2 tank spare. It’s been off the bike for almost two years so no worries about swelling
Happy to supply this for the cause
Munky View Drop Down
Moto3 racer
Moto3 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:30
I'll take a Gen 2 tank.

If needed to get the numbers, i'd be happy to take two
morepower View Drop Down
Moto2 racer
Moto2 racer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morepower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 12:54
OK .... Gen 1 tanks.. 
AF1  2 Tanks
Diablo  1 Tank 

3 gen 1 tanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gen 2 Tanks

Fugly 1 Gen 2 tank. 
Speed junkie 1 Gen 2 tank.
Munky 1 tank. possibly 2 IF needed to make up the numbers. 

4 Gen 2 tanks.  
redratbike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Collector Messiah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redratbike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 13:12
morepower to give this some coverage I have posted on af1 in 4 sections gen2 rsvr ,gen2 tuono, gen1 rsv and gen1 tuono
so hopefully some orders will come in and move this forward to reality

www.apriliaforum.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic